Sign in to follow this  
NoseNugget

CTD on Windows 8

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello Simtropolis

I recently upgraded my OS to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Initially, I was able to play SC4 fine, no problems. However, after a few hours of gameplay, I got a crash (which happens sometimes as some of us know). Then, when I went to restart the game, I got past the loading screen and then BOOM - CTD. Now, it crashes every time I try to start the game. I have been playing this game for a very long time and I love it! I would hate to not be able to play it anymore :(.

I have tried many many things for the past 3 or 4 hours, with no success.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500S

CPU @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 8.00GB

SimCity 4 Deluxe, downloaded from STEAM (321 hours played, ~4hrs on windows 8.)

I tried changing compatibility mode, number of CPUs, -audio:off, custom screen resolution, reinstalling, no plugins, run as admin, and many other things...

Somebody please help me. I'm stuck!!! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: my video card is AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series. Totally up to date.

Edited by tteumer2010  

Did you try a boot? You may have a zombie laying around. If a dead copy of the game is in the scheduling queue the game shouldn't even start, but so little is known about W8 that it could be any small thing.

If you know anyone with W8 internals training, he may be your best bet.

Can't help with the SC4 issue, but why do you have 32-bit Windows and 8GB of Ram? You know 32-bit can’t use more than 3.5GB right?

You should consider installing the 64-bit version instead if you want to use all 8 of those gigs, it'll help.

^ Missed that. Yes, it is a very good point. There is no need for you to run a 32-bit kernel when you have that CPU. Change to the 64-bit version at your convenience.

NoseNugget    0
  • Original Poster
  • Did you try a boot? You may have a zombie laying around.

Sorry for being a $%&^!, but what do you mean by that?

Can't help with the SC4 issue, but why do you have 32-bit Windows and 8GB of Ram? You know 32-bit can’t use more than 3.5GB right?

You should consider installing the 64-bit version instead if you want to use all 8 of those gigs, it'll help.

Wow. I didn't even realize that. Thank you! I'm going to reinstall with the 64 bit and see if that does anything for me.

EDIT: why does it block out $%&^!? lol

Edited by tteumer2010  

In operating systems a zombie process is one that should have terminated and gone away bus has not quite made it. It isn't eligible for a processor so can never finish. It is, effectively, a running-dead process so the simile is appropriate. You can usually get rid of such a process by using whatever 'kill' command the O/S has or just reboot, which will initialize all queues.

Off topic, but does WOW (Windows on Windows) or whatever it's called work with 16-bit programs now? I miss my SimTower, but it won't run on a 64-bit OS. :(

It's more of an emulation issue, Microsoft just does not include the 16WOW32 environment in 64-Bit installations. I read somewhere that it does work if the necessary files are copied from XP, but never tried it myself.

If all else fails, I used to use a VMware Virtual Machine with Windows 98 SE installed on it to play my old Windows games on. Direct3D support was generally crap though and a lot of stuff just didn't work.

NoseNugget    0
  • Original Poster
  • Hi All,

Just an update - I took Cockatoo's advice and reinstalled with Windows 8 - 64bit. I was able to back up all my files to an external hard drive and restore them afterwards. Simcity 4 Deluxe is now working flawlessly. I've played for several hours with no crashes.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Off topic, but does WOW (Windows on Windows) or whatever it's called work with 16-bit programs now? I miss my SimTower, but it won't run on a 64-bit OS. :(

It's more of an emulation issue, Microsoft just does not include the 16WOW32 environment in 64-Bit installations. I read somewhere that it does work if the necessary files are copied from XP, but never tried it myself.

If all else fails, I used to use a VMware Virtual Machine with Windows 98 SE installed on it to play my old Windows games on. Direct3D support was generally crap though and a lot of stuff just didn't work.

Welcome to windows 8

Now said good bye to windows Virtual Machine files which could run any version of windows

That's progress for you.

When I was chairman of a certain user group's software section, the vendor discontinued a certain batch control command that had been in use for over 20 years on the next rev of the O/S we held in common. You should have heard the screaming from the people who had no idea what it did. (It loaded programs from magnetic tape libraries.)

If you hunt around, you will probably find the needed emulator.

Edited by A Nonny Moose