Sign in to follow this  
ag1010

SimCIty 2013 Mac Mod Support

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

First things first. I'm trilled that we finally have a successor to SimCity 4. I've been playing SimCity since I was a kid in the early 1990's. Huge fan of the franchise. During my gameplay of SimCity 4 (which lasted many years thanks to modding sites like this), I was able to mod the heck out of the game to make it work for me. I'm sure modding will continue on SimCity 2013. But times have changed.

These days I'm on a Mac, and though I could probably use a VM to run Windows for SimCity 2013 (but when I did it with SimCity 4, it was not the same experience).

So my question is if I buy the MAC version of SimCity 2013, would there still be modding or is it going to continue to be a Windows Only add-on? If it turns out it will be a Windows Only thing, then I guess I can Boot Camp to Windows 7 and play it that way.

Thanks,

Angel Gonzalez

I hope so, but we don't know.

They haven't said anything about modding yet, so there is no way we can answer that question.

But I'd assume that you would be able to use mods, when ever they come out.

It's almost certain that any modding software for Sc2013 will only run under Windows only as it’ll most likely require third party apps (3D modelling software) which are only available on the PC. Don't waste your time trying to use resource intensive programs in a VM, they just can’t handle it. To get good performance, you’ll need to dual boot Windows or better yet get a PC.

3Dmax is about the only 3D app I know that's Windows only. Carrara, Hexagon, Poser, Maya, Bryce, the Wings3D freeware, those all have Mac versions.

first, this is NOT a successor to SC4

second, modding is only some future plan, no final say whether they will mod it at all. if so most of the time it requires windows based programs, like gmax or 3DS Max.