Sign in to follow this  
ee99

Set Building Competition

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello :)

Description-

The Set building Competition is a challenge/ challenge and a interesting way to play SC4. Basically, a building will be picked at the start. This is the building that everyone involved will download and build a picture around. Over a certain time everyone playing will post of picture with the set building in. A winner will then be picked based on the best picture/use of the set building.

Rules-

1. 1 picture per building

2. If you use Photoshop on the image etc then a unedited version of the picture must also be posted as it's a SC4 competition not a photoshop competition :P

3. The Picture must include the set building though the building doesn't have to be the centre of the picture.

4. The Winner gets to pick the next set building.

5. Set building should be from the STEX and preferably not have a hundred and one dependencies. Also the building should be ploppable or accessible via the crtl x then lot plop method.

6. Pictures can be from day or night.

7. As long as the picture contains the set building and it can have any other buildings, Mods etc or even re-lot it.

8. The picture can be in any style you want.

9. You can enter a picture until a week has passed since the building has set OR Until a decent number of pictures have been entered.

10. The picture should be judged based on the scene and in game skills used not or how it has been re-loted.

11. The winner is the one with the most +1's on there on post.

Set Building 1

Small ,Simple but good building to begin with :P

My Entry-

Unedited - http://i.imgur.com/tNEGY.jpg

GIMPed- http://i.imgur.com/fbELg.jpg

I'm sure you can do better then me so get playing :P

Edited by ee99  

I figured I'd give it a shot , so here it is . I give you Westpac on Broadway in my fictional city of Tollgate . All comments are welcome . First to get a picture in . Oops , second I mean . One question though, how is the winner picked?

Edited by raynev1  

ee99    148
  • Original Poster
  • That looks cool raynev but im sorry to point out that mine was actually the first :P

To pick the winner people can either comment with there vote or I was thinking that the post with the most +1 things would be the winner. So atm my post has 0 and raynev's post has 0 :P

Which one do you think would work better?

TBH, I'd keep post rating and picture rating separate. I was about to give you a +1 for the good thread idea, but now it would be misunderstood as a rating for your picture.

You know what, I'm gonna give you +1 for the great idea anyway, but just so you know I abstain from the rating, this is just for the nice idea. ;)

I kinda like what paulvmontfort posted about the game host to decide the winner , maybe ?

This would require that the game host sit out the round in terms of judging, plus what happens if a few friends end up taking over by selecting each other's as the winner?

Maybe the game host should decide the winner, the winner then chooses a new building and hosts the next competition etc.

I disagree, there will be some bias with this. I'd much rather have the people +1 the challenger's post and then the winner will be decided from there. Then again, most votes are basically biased votes.

Anyways, this is a good idea! I might get involved with this.

On a completely different note: Is this round's set building a growable? If not, I wonder where to find it in my menus as it seems to hide from the other landmarks.. I downloaded the Darknite version.

Edited by heitomat  

ee99    148
  • Original Poster
  • Heitomat- I got the building by going crtl x then lotplop and finally scolling up and selecting the building.

I think i might add a rule saying that you can only use a ploppable as a set building?

Also it seems that the +1 idea is the best. A way to get round the problem t wrecks said is if you for some strange reason u want to 'vote' for my picture then vote this post and if you want to +1 the oringal post then go ahead. :)

I agree with T Wrecks - the building plop DDL cheat makes that restriction unnecessary. One other question - must the BAT and original Lot be used, or can contestants re-lot the original building?

Personally, I think as long as the original BAT is included, any re-lotting should be allowed.

You should edit the main post so that people can know of the changes without having to scroll through.

This is an interesting contest, maybe when I find a building that I can use for my current towns I will make entries here.

Good luck on this project of yours.

Re-lotting the BAT should be okay. I can't see why not :)

Well, it might divide the contest into two categories of particpants: Those who lack LE knowledge and will be bound to using the BAT as is (so they will need to focus on good city building and a good choice of picture angle and composition), and those who will lot the heck out of the BAT and rely on their Lot Editor skills to a large degree.

To exaggerate it a little bit, some will play SC4 to achieve a visually pleasing result, and others will play Lot Editor to achieve a visually pleasing result. :P

This is not necessarily a bad thing, and since it's your contest, it is entirely up to you. :) I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents so you can consider it if you like, and decide as you please.

Re-lotting the BAT should be okay. I can't see why not :)

Well, it might divide the contest into two categories of particpants: Those who lack LE knowledge and will be bound to using the BAT as is (so they will need to focus on good city building and a good choice of picture angle and composition), and those who will lot the heck out of the BAT and rely on their Lot Editor skills to a large degree.

To exaggerate it a little bit, some will play SC4 to achieve a visually pleasing result, and others will play Lot Editor to achieve a visually pleasing result. :P

This is not necessarily a bad thing, and since it's your contest, it is entirely up to you. :) I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents so you can consider it if you like, and decide as you please.

2 categories is the way forward methinks