Sign in to follow this  
mayerrobbie

need help

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi every one I need some help. I want to play on some new maps, couse the ones i make dont look vary real. i need to know how to download and un-zip the file and put it in my game. I haven't been able to fig it out how to do it please and thank you. :???:

For most of the maps on the STEX, you need to get either the SC4Mapper or Terraformer tool. (Hosted on SC4Devotion.com; you need to register before you can download)

Or, for hand-crafted maps, you need to follow

Usually the type of map will be mentioned in the description.

Also check out the Omnibus section of Simtropolis. There is a whole section of articles on mapping and terraforming. I'm sure you will find something useful that will help you out.

Depending on the map author the method for unzipping is a pretty straight forward affair, most files here on the STEX are in the Compressed Zipped format which comes standard on a Windows based system and if you are running a PC and not a MAC. to unzip the files you merely right-click the folder and select Extract all. for files in .rar compression i highly recommend 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/ it opens just about anything. and it's far easier to open files w/this program by merely double clicking the folder and it will give you the option to extract after you have assigned which files it can open by default. read below if the map is in SC4M format and i recommend SC4 Terraformer since your post mentions you wish to create custom maps and SC4 Mapper merely imports but does not have terraforming tools.

For maps in SC4M format provided you have SC4 Terraformer installed:

Installing the map :

1. Open SC4 Terraformer

2. Open a default Sim City 4 Region

3. Once loaded go to File and then Create Region

4. Name your Region to what you like

5. Locate the SC4M file (*.SC4M)

6. Hit Enter and wait for the region to load

7. Modify the map to what you want it to be and then hit Save

8. Open Sim City 4 and load your region. The Map should look the way you saved it.

Note: once you save the map SC4 Terraformer will automatically insert the map into your Regions folder and no other action is required.

FAQ : Having a hard time with the SC4M file ? Here is a tutorial page that should answer most of your questions and will provide threads for topics not listed.

http://sc4devotion.c...hp?topic=4640.0

Edited by chimeran  

All of my maps are renderable using the game's standard renderer with no external software. Just unzip the folder, create an appropriate folder in your regions list, and move the config.bmp and the .jpg gray-scale into it, then press ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+r and select the gray-scale map in the dialogue box.