• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neil5280

I Played SimCity at PAX

22 posts in this topic

Neil, thanks for this post. I really appreciate it. I feel the same. I understand the choices they made. I simply disagree with them, as many fans do. I can't see myself paying for a game that can be taken away from me at anytime by the people who got my money. Your analysis of the commitment from Maxis, while sincere, is trumped by the lack of trust I and most others have for EA. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... the point is I'm not going to get fooled again!

My hope and wish is that they will take our feedback, go back, and add in the flexibility to allow us to play as we wish. I'll gladly wait till 2014 if in return I'm able to really build the city of MY dreams. Could interacting with the open market be fun? Sure. But why should I be forced/limited because Maxis/EA believe that's the best way. I suggest instead, to provide everything they have in the past, PLUS, not 'this is the new and only way, because it's fun, trust us'. Freedom of choice is what makes a franchise like this thrive. My 2 cents.

4 people like this

My main complaint it the mini maps, and that they seem to have lost focus. This is not a village simulator, it is a city simulator. Alas, they will not here me.

4 people like this

thanks the for the update! I honestly would probably end up getting this game and enjoying it for what it is if they weren't so dead-set on the online requirement and the multiplayer focus. I could live with the other stuff being changed like I did with SimSocieties (which I enjoyed for what it was). I simply won't be getting this one though.

1 person likes this

Thank you for taking the time to post this, it's great to hear as many player experiences as we can.

1 person likes this

Ah, thank you! A lot of the play-review articles I've read thus far have been pretty vague, so it's nice to hear some specifics. The highway connections and so on have me mildly concerned as I like laying down highway networks for my regions by hand, though this approach may be a bit more realistic in ways since highways are often state or national projects and often crop up before the cities that spring up around them. Being unable to build overpasses/underpasses/etc though has me a bit worried. I'd be less concerned if the map tiles were bigger - the 2*2 kilometer maps are by and far my biggest complaint thus far.

I'm entirely okay with online play so long as the servers stay up. And I'll survive if they go down ... so long as when they do, the game migrates to a single player mode.

I'm actually pretty excited about resource management; as an RTS player, I always felt that was lacking in the original SimCity titles. Resources can really define the rise and fall of industrial oriented cities. I can understand why they'd be frustrating, though.

And the lack of terraforming is disappointing, but not surprising, and not a deal breaker for me. Terraforming always interacted a bit strangely with regions in SC4 ("reconcile edges" worked about as well as trying to smash a rock against some wires to create the internet), and I can imagine similar problems would arise in the new title.

It's interesting to hear about the new "boundary management", etc. Thanks again.

2 people like this

Ah, thank you! A lot of the play-review articles I've read thus far have been pretty vague, so it's nice to hear some specifics. The highway connections and so on have me mildly concerned as I like laying down highway networks for my regions by hand, though this approach may be a bit more realistic in ways since highways are often state or national projects and often crop up before the cities that spring up around them. Being unable to build overpasses/underpasses/etc though has me a bit worried. I'd be less concerned if the map tiles were bigger - the 2*2 kilometer maps are by and far my biggest complaint thus far.

I'm entirely okay with online play so long as the servers stay up. And I'll survive if they go down ... so long as when they do, the game migrates to a single player mode.

I'm actually pretty excited about resource management; as an RTS player, I always felt that was lacking in the original SimCity titles. Resources can really define the rise and fall of industrial oriented cities. I can understand why they'd be frustrating, though.

And the lack of terraforming is disappointing, but not surprising, and not a deal breaker for me. Terraforming always interacted a bit strangely with regions in SC4 ("reconcile edges" worked about as well as trying to smash a rock against some wires to create the internet), and I can imagine similar problems would arise in the new title.

It's interesting to hear about the new "boundary management", etc. Thanks again.

Pretty much this. I've never seen anything from Maxis about SC13 that has been a dealbreaker for me. Resource management would add a new and interesting dynamic for me. Terraforming was never my strong suit.

2 people like this

Great review neil5280, It's really detailed. Also, for me, the game still does not make the buying list. The tile size and spacing of tiles is still my bigest issue.

1 person likes this

Great review neil5280, It's really detailed. Also, for me, the game still does not make the buying list. The tile size and spacing of tiles is still my bigest issue.

The spacing may have been just for the alpha

Thanks for taking the time to note down your thoughts, very helpful :)

You mentioned edge issues, but I would like to know how big the actual playing space felt, does it feel constrictive?

2 people like this

Thanks for the notes. After feeing a little negative about the game this has turned my mind round a bit. I'm really intrigued by resources, seems like an interesting addition. Like many, am apprehensive about EA and their servers but look orward to further developments.

1 person likes this

Neil, I really appreciate your time and effort in posting your report. Nice to read something about the game where I don't feel someone is trying to coax me into buying. Actually the game is still online and I'm still not buying for that and other reasons.

Thanks again.

2 people like this

Thanks for taking the time to note down your thoughts, very helpful :)

You mentioned edge issues, but I would like to know how big the actual playing space felt, does it feel constrictive?

I'm not sure it's fair to comment on this with pre-alpha software. As a software developer myself, I understand that in a pre-alpha state, you're just trying to get things up and running. I'm sure the guys at Maxis will make the final city size as big as is reasonable with the GlassBox engine, which they are still tweaking and optimizing. As the Beta nears close, if the city sizes are a concern, that will be the time to really raise the criticism.

Any comment on the tile sizes neil?????

Hey Pat, I got your direct message as well. I'm not sure what you mean by tile sizes. If you mean lot sizes, there aren't tiles in the way there were in SC4. When you zone, it attempts to fill the space near the road, but it's variable based on the shape of the area.

3 people like this

Any comment on the tile sizes neil?????

Hey Pat, I got your direct message as well. I'm not sure what you mean by tile sizes. If you mean lot sizes, there aren't tiles in the way there were in SC4. When you zone, it attempts to fill the space near the road, but it's variable based on the shape of the area.

I think he was talking about the city tile sizes. Anyway, great review.

1 person likes this

EA is doing everything they can to destroy their IP. For what Maxis has been able to make on SC2013 is pretty impressive with the data layers and complexity. But I'm amazed how little they budge on community feedback. Perhaps they are limited in what they can do, trying to keep games "stupid" enough for the average consumer.. I don't know what makes them think your average gamer is ever going to be interested in SimCity, but either way, this trend of removing popular features in sequels to games is infuriating and I don't get it.

5 people like this

Another new topic and another reminder to stay on it. The topic is Neil5290's review, not opinions regarding the business practices of EA, Maxis, or anyone else.

2 people like this

It's probably too early to ask, and not enough time spent on the game to judge. But, does it seem like the kind of game you could see yourself playing in 5 years time? Are the simulation elements excellent in their own right?

I.E if they focus the rest of the game on the simulation, will there be elements, that are innovative, challenging and replayable enough to keep you coming back for years to come?

And also, how does the whole 'intergrating the raw info into the graphics themselves' thing come across? Does it seem as though I could get the same ammount of information from the feedback of the graphics as I could from a table or graph? And is it subtle, or more in your face?

Thanks!

Edited by daneoid
1 person likes this

It's probably too early to ask, and not enough time spent on the game to judge. But, does it seem like the kind of game you could see yourself playing in 5 years time? Are the simulation elements excellent in their own right?

I.E if they focus the rest of the game on the simulation, will there be elements, that are innovative, challenging and replayable enough to keep you coming back for years to come?

Definitely not enough time to be able to answer this kind of question.

And also, how does the whole 'intergrating the raw info into the graphics themselves' thing come across? Does it seem as though I could get the same ammount of information from the feedback of the graphics as I could from a table or graph? And is it subtle, or more in your face?

It seems pretty subtle. I think people are going to spend just as much time in the layer overlay modes as they did in SC4. In SC4 you could watch people perform crimes, you could see areas get run down, you could tell where factories needed workers, you could tell where traffic was a problem. It was all sprite animations based on statistical data, but you could see it happening. Now it's the actual agents of those issues that you can watch, be that criminals, low foot traffic, or congested streets. I don't think it changes that aspect of the game play at all.

Thanks!

No problem.

2 people like this

Every thread turns into assumptions and complaining. Unfortunately those of us excited for the game are being driven away by the constant sabotaging of threads. I really hope the mods can curve this or I won't be around much longer.

Edited by Zombeast
2 people like this

Sorry I'm late to reply (been so busy after PAX), but I want to thank neil5280 for writing this. Appreciate the honest and constructive look at our demo.

3 people like this