• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
A Nonny Moose

Quote of the Day

1,234 posts in this topic

"Very few people possess true artistic ability; it is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort.  If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass." 

- Fran Lebowitz

Socrates and Seneca killed themselves because their intelligence, and the Europe they enlightened kills itself because its stupidity.

- Arturo Pérez-Reverte

(As it means a lot to me – and the video is hard to understand without the lyrics – I took the time to translate it from italian to english. I hope it's o.k. if I post it here, Nonny. You were on my mind while I was translating it)

Gingerbread cottages, frog concerts

Senior citizens dancing in their Cadillacs

Muscles of gold, the little crowns of the beauty queens

lovesongs for children wearing smokings

serious music in varied colours

the rain falling, life trickling

barking dogs, camels, magicians in charge

Maybe it hurts, but I'm on my feet

To connect me with this world

To absorb it with every breath

To lean about this deep

To see what's down there

There is no giddiness for real

Only the fear of falling

But at the same time

The desire to fly

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

But what you can let go, hand it to another?

Lampions in the dark, on the necklace a cross

The fertility goddess sways in jeans

Arses and chains, murders in a good believe

And on the radio a piece of funk

The head injured, bandaged, cured

It is requested to pay the rent beforehand

A rainbow dissolving

To lean about this deep

To see what's down there

Only the fear of falling

But at the same time

The desire to fly

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

The fury, the madness, the screenplay, the actors

Doctor, doctor! From which symptoms I recognize happiness?

The evolution, the imprisoned sky

But this is no precautional exercise

The conviction, the will, a dry throat and the Fata Morgana

The other half of the moon

The wolfes to couch and the far lights of the village

The worst is over

To lean about this deep

To see what's down there

Only the fear of falling

But at the same time

The desire to fly

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

I trust in you

peperodriguez2710 likes this

“For politics is not like the nursery; in politics obedience and support are the same.”

"It is, in fact, far easier to act under conditions of tyranny than it is to think."

"To expect truth to come from thinking signifies that we mistake the need to think with the urge to know."

“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

"The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil."

All quotes by Hannah Arendt

peperodriguez2710 likes this

"Let's get the hell out of here."

-Captain James Tiberius Kirk at the end of "The City On The Edge Of Forever"

Fantozzi likes this

Lambert said the same thing when the crew of the Nostromo discovered the spooky derelict ship in "Alien."  The other crewmembers didn't listen to her.

"I admire its purity.  A survivor...unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

- Ash in "Alien"

Umm...okay...sure...uh, let's get the hell out of here!

„Man is the measure of all things: of things which are, that they are, and of things which are not, that they are not .“

(Protagoras of Abdera)

"If what each man believes to be true through sensation is true for him - and no man can judge of another's experience better than the man himself, and no man is in a better position to consider whether another's opinion is true or false than the man himself, but...each man is to have his own opinions for himself alone, and all of them are to be right and true - then how, my friend, was Protagoras so wise that he should consider himself worthy to teach others and for huge fees?“

(Plato)

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?”

(Winne-the-Pooh by Alan Alexander Milne)

Posted (edited)

"He knows where the bodies are buried...if, in fact, any bodies are buried."

-- CNN's Matt Lewis turning Kirsten Powers's quote of Orson Welles's "Citizen Kane" on today's news of disgraced former National Security Advisor Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn's offer to spill his testimony to the FBI and the investigating committees if guaranteed immunity from prosecution in the foggily unfolding Trump-Russia Scandal.

How our words can come back to haunt us:

"When you are given immunity, that means that you've probably committed a crime."

-- Trump advisor Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn to "Meet the Press" during the 2016 campaign.

Edited by Odainsaker

Pegged the wrong talking head...they merge after a while.

"I shall be a good politician, even if it kills me.  Or if it kills anyone else, for that matter."

- Mark Antony

"Scientists have concluded that basic human nature is compassionate. This is a sign of hope. If it was otherwise and it was human nature to be angry, things would be hopeless. What’s important is that while we’re alive we shouldn’t create trouble, but, recognising how other people are human like us, should cultivate concern for their well being. If we can do that there’ll be no basis for cheating, bullying or killing."

Dalai Lama

Fantozzi likes this

“A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.”
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust)

"Life has no meaning a priori… It is up to you to give it a meaning, and value is nothing but the meaning that you choose."

(Jean-Paul Sartre)

The science known as SETI deals with searching for messages from aliens. METI science deals with the creation of messages to aliens. Thus, SETI and METI proponents have quite different perspectives... In contrast to Active SETI, METI pursues not a local and lucrative impulse, but a more global and unselfish one – to overcome the Great Silence in the Universe, bringing to our extraterrestrial neighbors the long-expected annunciation "You are not alone!"

— Alexander Zaitsev, regarding the difference between SETI and METI (Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence)

I didn't want to do a political quote here again, but this Wonderland gem of today's international diplomacy just could not be passed up:

"They tricked us!  That's the problem with the Russians--they lie."

--  Unnamed White House official to CNN on the Russian state-run media release of insider photos showing President Donald Trump meeting Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak in the White House Oval Office only hours after Trump suddenly and controversially fired FBI Director James Comey, who was overseeing the FBI's accelerating investigation into Russian hacking of the U.S. 2016 election, possible collusion between the Trump Campaign and Russian agents, and the compromising of Trump Administration officials to Russian intelligence.  While a Russian photographer was admitted into the Oval Office, the U.S. press was specifically barred from seeing or photographing this awkwardly ill-timed meeting, and American citizens especially were not supposed to see this happy photo of Putin-praising Trump with Kislyak, the suspected spymaster whose web of intrigue has already brought down a National Security Adviser, an acting Attorney General, a Democratic presidential candidate, and now an FBI Director:

170511092834-trump-oval-photo-exlarge-16

Nope, no collusion there...

...and you did not see that photo.  Fake News!

"You may say, it is impossible for a man to become like the Machine. And I would reply, that only the smallest mind strives to comprehend its limits."
- Fabricator General Kane.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

- Gandhi

@Terring: Didn't know there were any other 40k fans round here, nice to see. Although i now have the impulse to quote Lufgt Huron

"Things don't always happen as we planned, but that doesn't mean that we should ever stop reaching for the sky." - Aric Y. Harris

Spoiler

@Whte_rbt: Not exactly a fan. Let's just say that this universe is too surrealistic to get unnoticed. And speaking about 40K...

"Knowledge is power. Guard it well." - Motto of the Blood Ravens Chapter

"A country with children is a country with future. To have children, to educate them and help them growing up - this is very similar to the work of a forest ranger who plants a tree and knows: when this tree will give shadow I won't be here anymore."

(Helmut Kohl, 1930 - 2017)

madhatter106 and raynev1 like this

"I know that people think I have a certain style, but I think style is like the color of the eyes. I don't know that you choose that."

- playwright Horton Foote

raynev1 likes this

"I believe we 7 billion human beings are brothers and sisters. We are all born the same way and are raised in the warmth of our parents’ and particularly our mothers’ affection. Loving kindness doesn’t come about because of religion; scientists say that basic human nature is compassionate. This is a sign of hope, if we apply our marvellous intelligence and nurture it properly. "

Dalai Lama

raynev1 likes this