• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Haljackey

Show Us What You're Working On

3,877 posts in this topic

@T Wrecks That's it! Something I didn't like about this really big lot, but I couldn't tell. It's paengs base textures, a strong green. And those big, strong green plains disturb. It has to be more plaza like. Yes, that's it! Thank you for this observation.

@11241036

Sorry, no fences. Where I live most of the public facilities aren't fenced for emergency reasons. If they are fenced - then in a really wide radius so there is plenty of space for the masses to be evacuated. This would work only on the south.  So I had to make the lot even bigger as it already is on east/west and north.

When there's street around it will look different. On the picture, with the different greens of lot and terrain, I agree this doesn't look good. So shurely the lot should be sourrounded by something, when it's in game. Didn't try it yet, but maybe some pedestrials would look nice?

But mostly because I prefer fencless cities where people trust each other and share space, let's pretend there is another check after the ticket counters, on the mount to every block.

matias93 likes this

8 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

@T Wrecks That's it! Something I didn't like about this really big lot, but I couldn't tell. It's paengs base textures, a strong green. And those big, strong green plains disturb. It has to be more plaza like. Yes, that's it! Thank you for this observation.

Consider anyway that Paeng's textures are replaced by MGB's Terrain Grass Mods, so you can have a less radioactive green if you like, and it can be changed by the final user too.

Nice work everyone!

Continuing with the relots...

Experimenting with a MHO version of the toll booths:

TtDPWIU.jpg

Turns out the building itself is invisible, so I had no problem replacing the booths. The issue with doing this is that, since I'm using the avenue toll booth prop for the elevated highway, there's a floating shadow on the right.

Following @T Wrecks suggestion, I modified the Grand rail station lot by adding a second DTR line and doubling the middle platform. I took the oportunity to replace the cars with timed versions. Also, I removed some plants on both fire stations and relotted the library. The only issue right now is that the train automata seems to clip slightly trough the back of the platforms. Other than that, I like it more now :yes: :

DFFGbbV.jpg

And finally, the relot of the passenger rail station. Since I failed to crop it out of the screenshot, may as well show it :D :

GOaEJm2.jpg

Something I haven't mentioned is that I'm using cp's SCILT instead of the vanilla sidewalk tiles, so it should integrate easily with many sidewalk mods.

@citycowboy: Wow, the building selection really gives this city a nice eighties/nineties touch! Looks like you went for really high-quality BATs, too. It's just very grey and devoid of any parks and trees right now, but I suppose you will be getting to that later. Great overall impression so far!

@Manuel-ito: Good changes! :golly: You really put the "Grand" in "Grand Rail Station" with this re-lot. The small one looks nice, too - I guess you can't do much more while sticking to the original 2x3 footprint. That's miserably narrow for a realistic train station, of course, but if you go beyond that, it's no longer really a re-lot...

1 hour ago, T Wrecks said:

@Manuel-ito: Good changes! :golly: You really put the "Grand" in "Grand Rail Station" with this re-lot. The small one looks nice, too - I guess you can't do much more while sticking to the original 2x3 footprint. That's miserably narrow for a realistic train station, of course, but if you go beyond that, it's no longer really a re-lot...

I cannot but agree about the Grand Rail Station: finally that building looks placeable in a custom-content driven city!

But about the small station, maybe there are some caveats: in many rural or even suburban environments it is normal to find stations that are few more than the ticket offices and one platform, so this one is even a little big for that.

In any case, I think the best use to that building would be to relot it completely, to create a small W2W terminus, alike the ones made by Mattb325. Even the original 2x3 lot could work finely that way.

Finally, I cannot let pass the impressive work with the toll booths. That should have been very complicated to do! My only doubt is with the speed bump; maybe is a bit excessive...

Manuel-ito likes this

7 hours ago, Manuel-ito said:

Turns out the building itself is invisible, so I had no problem replacing the booths. The issue with doing this is that, since I'm using the avenue toll booth prop for the elevated highway, there's a floating shadow on the right.

I see you are using RHW-4 props here. Would you like some for MHO instead? They would match better. I'm working on fixes for the MHO (Maxis Highway Override / Project Symphony) as part of the NAM. If you install the attached file so it loads after the NAM (later than z___NAM folder), you will see MHO props when using the included prop exemplars (props).

7 hours ago, Manuel-ito said:

Something I haven't mentioned is that I'm using cp's SCILT instead of the vanilla sidewalk tiles, so it should integrate easily with many sidewalk mods.

Is that necessary? The parking in the screenshot is an overlay texture. If you just use Maxis texture 0x258F2000 as the base texture, everything would be identical to how you have it now. Only this way round, it doesn't require an additional dependency, not to mention, SCILT doesn't cover every sidewalk choice either. So unless you need the special pieces in SCILT to make something work, you should avoid their use.

zMHO PropOverride.zip

Manuel-ito, CT14, raynev1 and 1 other like this

3 hours ago, rsc204 said:

I see you are using RHW-4 props here. Would you like some for MHO instead? They would match better. I'm working on fixes for the MHO (Maxis Highway Override / Project Symphony) as part of the NAM. If you install the attached file so it loads after the NAM (later than z___NAM folder), you will see MHO props when using the included prop exemplars (props).

Thank you for the MHO props, the toll booths looks better now :) :

6h1qVnW.jpg

As for the SCILT textures, I do use the special overlays for details that I otherwise couldn't do. I do plan on using it extensively too, so maybe that one won't go away yet :P

By the way, I uploaded the Grand Rail Station lot to the STEX:

Feel free to point out any mistakes I may have made, technical, aesthetical, grammatical, whatever. Also remind me to open a new thread for my stuff so I don't feel like i'm taking over this one by accident :lol:

simmytu, raynev1, CT14 and 4 others like this

34 minutes ago, 11241036 said:

That's some nice lots you got there. Definitely something I'll download and try.

A week or two, then I hopefully can upload them all as a package.

matias93 likes this

@Fantozzi: Wow, especially the festival ground looks great! My only doubt about it is that lush green grass texture... typically, you won't see much of it after a short while. :lol: In any case, I'd go for a less "radioactive" ground texture. You'd probably also see some fences around the monitor tower as well as around the backs of the food trucks and booths. The parking lots in the First-Aid area and for the equipment/crew trucks could also do with some wheel marks and dirt.

I like how you captured the atmosphere - pretty posh, formal and serene for the classical music event, and slightly chaotic and dirty for the Rock venue... with the exception of that idyllic grass texture. Fantastic idea, too!

EDIT: Almost forgot - you'll typically find some tents/pavilions put up at the entrance where your tickets/wristbands will be checked and the security guy will sexually molest you check for unallowed items, and in front of these tents/pavilions there's usually a bunch of trashcans to throw away the beer cans and bottles you aren't allowed to take with you...

Mary Maurine Mayo and Fantozzi like this

11 minutes ago, T Wrecks said:

lmost forgot - you'll typically find some tents/pavilions put up at the entrance where your tickets/wristbands will be checked and the security guy [...]

Yep - good idear I'll redo the entrance. The security guys are those with the blue trowsers, there are two at the entrance but you'll notce them perhaps better in front of the stage, having an eye on the audience :ToungeNew:

5 hours ago, Edvarz said:

A little something I've been working on, The lot still lacks details, I hope I can finish it on time for the lotting challenge!

[...]

It will be a fully functional reward, I'll let you guess which one... :D

What? Did you become as paenged as me? Like the fence, how it picks up the green of the cupola. You could add some lightpoles. BSC Mega Props SWI21 Vol 01, lampadaire_2B could look nice and it's a prop Paeng used too.

If I had to guess - what kind of buildings do have such big terraces? Beach or mountain hotels? A villa? A resort hotel or a major villa.

Edvarz likes this

Exciting! Bringing various kinds of ancient ruins into the "modern age" of SimCity4 modding is a great idea. Almost all of the existing ruins-type plugins are fairly old and quite a few haven't aged well.

Besides, more choices are great.

Simmer2 likes this

10 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

What? Did you become as paenged as me? Like the fence, how it picks up the green of the cupola. You could add some lightpoles. BSC Mega Props SWI21 Vol 01, lampadaire_2B could look nice and it's a prop Paeng used too.

Ha! yes, I tried several base textures but none looked as good as Paeng's. I don't know why, may be the combination of tones, but it looked the most pleasant.

As for the lightpoles, that is one of the missing props in this image, I decided to go with vanilla lightpoles, spaced in a way that will look good for users of Mandelsoft's Light Replacement Mod (like me) or the Uniform Street Lighting. I really liked the end result.

matias93 likes this

@_Michael That city is looking pretty awesome, it's got a little bit of everything in there. Really looking forward to seeing your updates from it. And of course that telecommunications hill caught my eye as well ;) heck I think I like it better then my own ring of steel.

_Michael likes this

31 minutes ago, Takingyouthere said:

@_Michael That city is looking pretty awesome, it's got a little bit of everything in there. Really looking forward to seeing your updates from it. And of course that telecommunications hill caught my eye as well ;) heck I think I like it better then my own ring of steel.

I see you've changed your name.. Again... :lol: I'm glad you noticed that, your work kinda allowed it and provided great inspiration, sloth ouch I'm not sure if it's better than yours ;)