• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Haljackey

Show Us What You're Working On

4,172 posts in this topic

On 14/06/2017 at 2:43 AM, Haljackey said:

East end bridge approach is what I'm working on today:

Really awesome to see your still jamming SimCity 4 I remember watching your youtube videos years ago when I first started playing this game haha.
Btw love the integration to maxis highway looks super clean. :)

Haljackey and simmytu like this

On 14/06/2017 at 2:43 AM, Haljackey said:

East end bridge approach is what I'm working on today:

Great unlocking of these cities ! I know waterways isn´t the thing but those maxis pier don´t add ? Some simple PEG lots would beautify it so much !

Would look better, only dependecies !

Terraforming a straight coastline and flat surface to support it´s all ever only asked for, so much nicer !

kschmidt

RobertLM78 likes this

On 14/06/2017 at 7:14 AM, westy177 said:

Was working on this inner metro area business hub till my region got propplox so now currently on the hunt for a nice map on the STEX to start my new region.

Some roads and specialy the road connected to the avenue north-south  on the left may need widening with those highrise buildings beside, as long there oneway streets it´fine but low midrise always changes to mid highrise showing increased stress on the roads around !

westy177 likes this

29 minutes ago, kschmidt said:

Some roads and specialy the road connected to the avenue north-south  on the left may need widening with those highrise buildings beside, as long there oneway streets it´fine but low midrise always changes to mid highrise showing increased stress on the roads around !

Yeah for sure usually upgrade them to 1 tile 4 lane nwm when it goes super busy.

This is my first time playing in years is there a new bus station on road set for nwn one i have is very clunky and outdated? 

Taking your wisdom onto my next region ill post some progress up tonight after work :D

22 hours ago, Haljackey said:

I got scared of the PEG lots, deleted them after I got prop pox.

Don't be scared, they won't hurt you, only the BDK dev. kit contains stuff which can cause prop pox. But for example I made a decent set of seaports and fillers based on the original PEG stuff, and I'm using them on large cities and haven't got Prop Pox. But you can use the original PEG stuff as well, only the BDK dev kit is problematic...

12 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

I wanted some seasonal avenue dividers so I took Marrast's dividers and relotted them with CP's seasons props. This is my first attempt at using the lot editor, if they come out alright I might make a small set, what do you think?

I think that's a great idea, but you should try to rotate the trees differently so they don't look so obviously cloned. You might also find flora (not prop) trees in Cycledogg's pack - these have the advantage that their rotation will be randomized each time a lot grows or is plopped.

Here are some shots of cities in a region I have been working on. Its a fairly faithful re-creation of the Detroit area. Most of it is just roads right now, but I have added a few buildings here and there mainly for spacing and to see what they look like in the cities. I have been actually working on this since last year, but I don't have much free time so I work on it whenever I can. As work progresses I will be taking suggestions on improvements and things I can do to make it realistic. I see now that I will have to make an album here if i want to show any significant number of images, so I will do that as well. 

Romulus-Mar. 14, 001497489142.png

Haljackey, nos.17, kschmidt and 1 other like this

8 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

I think that's a great idea, but you should try to rotate the trees differently so they don't look so obviously cloned. You might also find flora (not prop) trees in Cycledogg's pack - these have the advantage that their rotation will be randomized each time a lot grows or is plopped.

Ah, thank you, I didn't know that about the flora, that would be better.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, ericexp said:

Nice trumpet interchange ! Some de- acceleration lane´s  with transtitions here and there;  short ramps don´t add to safety. Powerstations and electricty substation should be together at one side of the river, bundle powerlines look better,  avoiding zoned land would give the perfect picture ! Minimize button remover mod hide´s the GUI for taking screen shots.

Numlock key will restore you GUI view for playing on, well done !

On 6/15/2017 at 11:54 PM, Tyberius06 said:

Don't be scared, they won't hurt you, only the BDK dev. kit contains stuff which can cause prop pox. But for example I made a decent set of seaports and fillers based on the original PEG stuff, and I'm using them on large cities and haven't got Prop Pox. But you can use the original PEG stuff as well, only the BDK dev kit is problematic...

PEG stuff hasn´t affected me, BDK Dev isn´t in my plugin folder; if so it wouldn´t bother me as stated prop pox strikes if there´s too much props around, large tile´s with combined cities with PEG parks, harbours, and beach resort cdk or bdk are rare on one city tile, different sets might cause concern for prop pox, still using them in seperate tile´s or seperate instalations reduces any risk largely !

On 6/16/2017 at 3:42 AM, DavidDHetzel said:

So here's a couple of lots I made recently.  Sadly they need PIMX work and thats a bit out of my control right now.

Nice lots, some modification like the trucks on grasland , tankcars are for oil or grain transport, trucks loading kind of cargo or are only for delivery to the lot itself ? Small lots very nice logistics and highway stops , wel done !

On 6/16/2017 at 0:35 AM, Haljackey said:

Ah, that explains it. I deleted nearly all PEG products after I had 2 cities infected with prop pox. I've been clean ever since. Perhaps I had that installed as part of the PEG items I had.

Neat, work ! River rerouting avoided partly the soundwall use giving it a unspoiled green look. City re-development may need a landmark or two to get it moving. Looking forward to the next section, wel   done !

On 6/16/2017 at 2:50 PM, ericexp said:

Here are some shots of cities in a region I have been working on. Its a fairly faithful re-creation of the Detroit area. Most of it is just roads right now, but I have added a few buildings here and there mainly for spacing and to see what they look like in the cities. I have been actually working on this since last year, but I don't have much free time so I work on it whenever I can. As work progresses I will be taking suggestions on improvements and things I can do to make it realistic. I see now that I will have to make an album here if i want to show any significant number of images, so I will do that as well. 

Romulus-Mar. 14, 001497489142.png

Hotels, restaurants do look so nice, single row as here for one or two doesn´t bother; preferable I have them clustered on a 4x4 block, some parks and or combined with some business or residential zones. Albums are Ok, using a image hosting site like imgur or photobucket is much easier, linking the  image location to a forum or CJ via a direct link !

@simmytu did you lot the security fencing around the airport yourself? I have been looking for an alternative to the green fences you get in the IRM filler set for a while and those look like a good option

2 hours ago, MissVanleider said:

@simmytu did you lot the security fencing around the airport yourself? I have been looking for an alternative to the green fences you get in the IRM filler set for a while and those look like a good option

I used the black fences which you can find here in Paeng's SPAM addon pack. After plopping the fences I MMP'd the area to make the different grass textures seem seamless with the terrain.

MissVanleider and raynev1 like this

Personaly I like a more clean line when it comes to airport structure, a tight path as it´s a security perimiter would be more appropiate, nature plops are fine as long there not in the way of airport operations. If you have a as extesive airport bat collection there should be a fuel depot and more  importantly a fire department around, well done !

simmytu likes this

14 hours ago, kschmidt said:

Hotels, restaurants do look so nice, single row as here for one or two doesn´t bother; preferable I have them clustered on a 4x4 block, some parks and or combined with some business or residential zones. Albums are Ok, using a image hosting site like imgur or photobucket is much easier, linking the  image location to a forum or CJ via a direct link !

If i was creating a custom city, doing that would work. This is the area north of Detroit Metro Airport; where there are a lot of hotels and parking. This is accurate to how it really looks. I know its kinda hard to tell the direction that its going, but I work on it so infrequently. I was getting kind of anxious to show it off. I plan on laying down the roads, power,  and rail 1st, then the buildings, and finally add the small details. I do have a question, though. Does anyone know if there is a mod that adds overgrowth to show lots that are are not well maintained? What about over grown grass/cattails that you would typically find around a drainage ditch or marsh?

14 hours ago, RRetail said:

I'm having way too much fun making plazas....

Untitled.jpg

I know it probably a really overasked question, but how do you pull in multiple buildings into the lot editor to make centers like this? 

DavidDHetzel likes this

9 minutes ago, ericexp said:

If i was creating a custom city, doing that would work. This is the area north of Detroit Metro Airport; where there are a lot of hotels and parking. This is accurate to how it really looks. I know its kinda hard to tell the direction that its going, but I work on it so infrequently. I was getting kind of anxious to show it off. I plan on laying down the roads, power,  and rail 1st, then the buildings, and finally add the small details. I do have a question, though. Does anyone know if there is a mod that adds overgrowth to show lots that are are not well maintained? What about over grown grass/cattails that you would typically find around a drainage ditch or marsh?

Dark grey look of aboandoned buildings is believe the only look there is, more important seem mods to keep buildings occupied, there a mod not showing degrade the dilapidation mod, unfortunaly there seems to be no re occupation mod around, so demolition only way to get something new. Some building maybe look delepated but are still occupied so be carefull with dark buildings !