• Moose
  • Announcements

    • Dirktator

      Help us with our donation goal for a new Chat upgrade!   04/17/2017

      Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Haljackey

Show Us What You're Working On

3,735 posts in this topic

I like your approach a lot, but some issues arise, that could complicate you when advancing:

* Try sinking or raising the faster networks instead of the slower ones, thus preserving the most surface area for zoning. In this case, you could get better results by sinking the rails by 7,5 metres and the maxis highway by 15 metres (or changing it for a 7,5 metres sunk real highway).

* On the same vein, keep always in mind the slope tolerances: those avenue overpasses at +15 metres are a bit hard to use, even for rubber tyred vehicles, and that's why they are being phased out in favour of more realistic +7,5 ones.

* Play with wide radius curves and fractionally angled networks. You'll need some practice to learn how to drag them, but is all on the NAM documentation and it becomes second nature easily. Reserve hard corners for narrow and slow streets on old neighbourhoods.

*Consider adequate distances for stations: even if the game falls a little short on realistic distances, there are some useful criteria to optimise the traffic simulation: urban mass transit works best with stops at 3 to 5 blocks away (18 to 30 tiles), while suburban rail, monorail and highway exits need at least 10 blocks (60 tiles) between stations or entrances\exits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, matias93 said:

I like your approach a lot, but some issues arise, that could complicate you when advancing:

* Try sinking or raising the faster networks instead of the slower ones, thus preserving the most surface area for zoning. In this case, you could get better results by sinking the rails by 7,5 metres and the maxis highway by 15 metres (or changing it for a 7,5 metres sunk real highway).

* On the same vein, keep always in mind the slope tolerances: those avenue overpasses at +15 metres are a bit hard to use, even for rubber tyred vehicles, and that's why they are being phased out in favour of more realistic +7,5 ones.

* Play with wide radius curves and fractionally angled networks. You'll need some practice to learn how to drag them, but is all on the NAM documentation and it becomes second nature easily. Reserve hard corners for narrow and slow streets on old neighbourhoods.

*Consider adequate distances for stations: even if the game falls a little short on realistic distances, there are some useful criteria to optimise the traffic simulation: urban mass transit works best with stops at 3 to 5 blocks away (18 to 30 tiles), while suburban rail, monorail and highway exits need at least 10 blocks (60 tiles) between stations or entrances\exits.

I did not know that the distance between stations make difference in the game, I thought was more influence in the overview that funcional, anyway. Thanks from suggestion.

About the curves, I agree. Actually, they like more "beautiful" ingame, but analyzing the image now, it is noticeable that is weird in a Downtown.

The viaducts were a problem. I made the faster transitions, but I did not like because I think is some unrealistic, but thinking in a area with a little space, is better don't waste it.

Anyway, thank you from your suggestions. I will make some changes in the Downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 23/3/2017 at 2:58 AM, Simmer2 said:

Well this is the last dump of pics I'm going to post on this lot. Hopefully soon you will see it, up close in your cities...
Pay attention and you will see even more props and scenes never seen before.

So make sure your seat belt is on and your table is in the upright position....

[snip: images of the roundhouse lot]

Simmer2/Nick

Where did you get the roundhouse?


  Edited by matias93

snipped images by matias93 ;D
Simmer2 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robdragon said:

Where did you get the roundhouse?

He did it, check the dev thread at SC4devotion. It's pretty amazing, even the sheer amount of work!

Oh, and by the way, remember not to quote images unless strictly neccesary; I'll fix it now :thumb:

Simmer2 and robdragon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 7:18 PM, Dreadnought said:

Yo, guys --

I keep fiddling around with this thing -- but I can never get it to work!!!

When I want to use the blue-thingie and "@" -- to send something to someone's attention ---

HOW do I do that ?????

If you type @ and then the name of the user you wish to tag all at once with no spaces it will bring up a box with all the members whose user names fit what you typed along with their avatar so you can find the right one.  Just click on the one you're looking for and voila!  They be tagged!   Like so; @Dreadnought *;)

 

f3cs, matias93 and Dreadnought like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately I've been thinking about the same - making 'movement like effects' with timed props but did shy away from the work. So my depest respect to you. The whole 'scene' looks marvelous. I wonder what impact it might have on game performance if you would have many of this kind of 'prop layers' in a city?

Simmer2 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Simmer2 It has been a while since I saw a custom made animations in custom models. Kudos to you :thumb:

Picked up the game today after a long break (Battlefield 4 called me to wreck havoc in Metro, heh).
From the looks of it this is going to be a challenging tile, because I need to fit a small regional airport. Sb48E5J.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@simmytu I would go with some polders there, to get enough length. Maybe even to level that hill on the southeast to make easier landing and to get filling material...

MissVanleider likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matias93 said:

I would go with some polders

'Polders' is a word in English?! I had no idea that we had stolen that particular word!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fantozzi When I set out to make this lot I had no idea how deep it would take me. Someone once told me that I'm tenacious and unrelenting, when I start something I will not stop until it is done, no matter how long it takes or how complicated it gets.

I appreciate your comment :]

Regarding the timed props affecting performance, the entire game is made up with timed objects and lines of code, what better tool to handle them all than a computer.

I doubt a few more timed props will infringe in the game overall performance.

@simmytu Thank you!

Simmer2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31-3-2017 at 1:37 AM, clhigh7 said:

I started re-doing my university area today. I wasn't happy with my original configuration. It seemed too haphazard and disconnected.

Charlet-Nov.%202%208401490900957_zps9afj

It took while to play around with the pathways and the nearby rail system. I had to compromise and not use the smooth rail curves due to space constraints. Now I just need to develop the surrounding neighborhood and possibly add a couple new highway access ramps.

Charlet-Nov.%206%208411490916065_zps5aog

Charlet-Nov.%209%208411490916107_zpsudcp

Nice roomy excetion of the latest Clayhurst set, well done "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Yo, guys --

In celebration of my follow-up visit with the Cardiologist, I'm going to post a few quick pictures, today.  (it seems my heart is strong as an Ox and I may well live forever -- or until the health insurance premiums go up again!)

Here are a few pics of standard Maxis lots and rewards.  Lots of people have told me they don't like to use them, but I try very hard to develop my cities through natural growth (a mix of Maxis and custom content) -- so the cap busters they provide are useful to me.

But I think you can make MORE out of the Maxis lots with some thought and the use of filler lots and MMp's.  Also, you can get very creative with the uses of filler tiles.  Here are a few samples.

Congrats on the healthy heart!  Good to know you'll be around to post more great stuff for a long long time to come! *:)

Nice work here!  I really like seeing how people make good use of the original equipment, as it were.  I've always liked a good mix of vanilla and custom content and you show an excellent example of it working together here. 

What is that curved building with all the glass?  Is that a Maxis lot?  I'm not sure I've ever seen it before

I always look forward to seeing your work!  Keep it coming and keep that heart pumping strong!

raynev1 and Dreadnought like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultra-smooth railway curves! They're so smooth that I was thinking if it was a texture for RHW *:lol:. By the way, there's any chance to REW being released in NAM 36?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, f3cs said:

Ultra-smooth railway curves! They're so smooth that I was thinking if it was a texture for RHW *:lol:. By the way, there's any chance to REW being released in NAM 36?

Thanks for the comment. The work being done for the RRW is really paying off!

The REW may make it in but I think it is probably more of a NAM 37 item at this point.

But who knows? We like to surprise people *;)

1 hour ago, MissVanleider said:

@Eggman121 wow. The rail texture looks really nice. Is that a new SAM texture in the top left?

Thanks for the comment on the textures. The setup we have for the RRW means that you can make a set of rail textures with any Ballast, Sleeper combination with Rivit's GoFSH application. The partners in crime Rivit, rsc204 and Simmer2 have helped to make the project a reality. I really can't thank them enough *:)

The SAM textures are the same as in NAM 35. The new parts of course are the L1 ERRW which will make its debut in NAM 36!

-eggman121

mrsmartman, f3cs, Silur and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MeMyself&I said:

Congrats on the healthy heart!  Good to know you'll be around to post more great stuff for a long long time to come! *:)

Nice work here!  I really like seeing how people make good use of the original equipment, as it were.  I've always liked a good mix of vanilla and custom content and you show an excellent example of it working together here. 

What is that curved building with all the glass?  Is that a Maxis lot?  I'm not sure I've ever seen it before

I always look forward to seeing your work!  Keep it coming and keep that heart pumping strong!

Yo, guy -- Thanx for the "congrats", my friend.

With a little bit of luck I'll be working vanilla and custom for a long, long time.  But, you are right -- it seems to be my purpose in life to spurn the complex advances in technology while pushing creative techniques as a substitute.

The curved, glassy building is --

 

CT14, matias93 and MeMyself&I like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eggman121 said:

Deception by the smooth RRW isn´t very new ! Catenary abscend; style of taste for users, seperate catenary mod can take care of.. Single and double track dragable FAR and FAR viaducts maybe a greater addtion !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  :thumb:


Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  •  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.