• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neurokirurgi

Discussion about Always-On Connection to Origin

1,352 posts in this topic

Well, MezaCorp is a Loan Shark Monopoly. It always produces a large surplus and exports for extorted prices only slightly better than OmniCorp.

With all this contradicting info, I still believe that solo mode will be there. We still have many months to go. I'm sure CitiesXL lessons learnt is in their attention. Not to mention our comments here. Registering online is normal now, so it should be ok. And please allow local saves.

I never want to play online and only once played online on HoMM5 on duel.

The game can still be played solo. You just have to be online.

No.

Even though we play solo we'll have to be connected to the global market as far as we know right know. That's not solo.

If there's an option to disconnect my influence on the global market so that i can use money cheats and play by myself in my own little bubble everything is fine. Well, as long as my own private saves are local of course. If they want to do a piracy check everytime i start the game, fint. That won't affect me, even though it will be a hassle for those who doesn't always has an internet connection. They should use the STEAM solution where we have to verify once but then put STEAM/Origin in offline mode where we don't have to verify unless there's a new patch out there that we want to download.

2 people like this

There won't be. The whole game counts on the connection to the global market. If you don't want to play like this, don't buy this game and keep playing SC4.

They have stated that even single player will need a internet connection, some have speculated that this means the solo saves will happen on a cloud server. But they (Maxis) have also stated that even single player maps will effect the sim world economy. So here is my question..

...If all of our games are linked and sharing economy information, then how are they going to handle mods? or are they planning on not handling them at all? I mean if I download a mod that generates $40,000 every couple of "sim days" then its going to seriously throw everything off.

And even more-so, how is it going to work if I have a few downloaded buildings from the community, and one of my friends goes to play in my region and he hasn't downloaded them yet, will he just see a empty square? or that broken brown box that plagued me in SC4?

That would be my main problem with this "everyone's connected" bullcrap, It will make modding (in my estimation) very difficult.

So anyways...few of my questions :S

Well, we don't even know what types of mods will be available. One can assume a $40,000 generating tree will not be allowed unless the entire region is in solo mode.

The buildings will most likely work as an in-game mod exchange; when a building is uploaded to the database, then each player that is connected online will be able to see it. Again, this is the most likely scenario, but we really don't know how it will work now that there is such a heavy focus on Multiplayer.

There is no way to answer your question at this point. We can only speculate.

I read that mods will not be supported on release. I don't remember a source, but this is a likely reason why. It all depends on implementation. They said they want to support modding and it is possible to work with their system. Cosmetic mods and buildings that do not generate money and function as existing structures do would be possible in theory, but you need limits to keep the integrity and balance of the system.

Rolling mods into savegames to share with friends is tricky because all that data would cost bandwidth. You'd almost surely have to manually coordinate that.

Here is a speculation that would work assuming the on-line connection and a central server running the game text with only a "smart" PC acting as a human interface terminal:

1. Custom Content exists in a single repository.
  2. Not everyone has access to every mod, but only those who have requested permission.
  3. In a multi-player region, some player has to be nominated as the over-Mayor. The over-Mayor seeks agreement on Custom Content from all that regions players. A single player in a "private" region is automatically the over-Mayor.
  4. Mods are picked up by requesting access to them. Whether payment is involved is a separate issue, but I think it should not be there.
  5. When a mod is requested, a permission block is added to its controls that allows all the players in a given region to use it. It remains on the server.
  6. The Plugins list is simply a file giving a brief description of the mod, any conditions, and the permission.
  7. When a player accesses a mod, the permissions are simply checked.

Now this pretty much assumes that mods will be adjudicated. This precludes attempts to patch the game.

hey guys, I have a question about online play. If SC5 is online, and im playing and the internet disconnects for a second, does the game close without saving? Because this always happens when I play age of empires online and its extremely annoying....

No.

Even though we play solo we'll have to be connected to the global market as far as we know right know. That's not solo.

If there's an option to disconnect my influence on the global market so that i can use money cheats and play by myself in my own little bubble everything is fine. Well, as long as my own private saves are local of course. If they want to do a piracy check everytime i start the game, fint. That won't affect me, even though it will be a hassle for those who doesn't always has an internet connection. They should use the STEAM solution where we have to verify once but then put STEAM/Origin in offline mode where we don't have to verify unless there's a new patch out there that we want to download.

Completely agreed KeanoManu! :D (Contrary to my disagreements with you in the old CXL forums, LOL :P ).

@ JackSunny - This says it all - http://www.simcity.c...e-Economic-Loop . You have to be connected because your city will be affected by the global market. The developers are trying to make it as real as possible. I have stated my position a few times about this, that it is too realistic for me and other players and having an option to play in some sort of 'Sandbox Mode' or offline money cheats will sort the problem. But without that one little feature which means so much, the game just falls shy of what so many would want. The game has amazing potential to be the real SC5 everyone's been hoping for, but this 'affected by the global online market' is just a bit too far and is damaging the game for those like me that simply, like in the whole Maxis SimCity series, want to build the city of their dreams.

Anyways, hopefully Maxis might eventually see the replies on the official SC forums and on here and might think again if they want to attract more players. Details of the game are still small and development is still early-to-mid so no conclusions yet as anything could change.

Edited by Asheroo
2 people like this

I'm suddenly wondering where the impetus for this "always connected" push came from. Does anybody have anything more than a (presumably) educated guess as to whether it is EA, Quigley, or someone else who got this burr in their saddle?

Wow I pray to god this doesn't come true. Please.

Oh the good old days, when you put a custom content in plugin folder and you were good to go :cry:

2 people like this

hey guys, I have a question about online play. If SC5 is online, and im playing and the internet disconnects for a second, does the game close without saving? Because this always happens when I play age of empires online and its extremely annoying....

Maxis has said that if your internet connection goes down, you can continue to play the game.

I'm suddenly wondering where the impetus for this "always connected" push came from. Does anybody have anything more than a (presumably) educated guess as to whether it is EA, Quigley, or someone else who got this burr in their saddle?

Its EA.

Maxis has stated in an article or Q&A somewhere that when the internet disconnects, the game continues running without problems. Assuming we can save our cities locally, there would be no loss of changes. So that's the good news!

That said, Maxis has also implied that when your connection returns, changes are then updated to the internet for updating the global economy and environment, and perhaps other unspecified purposes.

I'm assuming that custom content will work like custom maps from FPS games, where you automatically download everything you need when you connect to the server. I really do hope it turns out that way; that might mean an end to dependency hell.

1 person likes this

Here is a speculation that would work assuming the on-line connection and a central server running the game text with only a "smart" PC acting as a human interface terminal:

1. Custom Content exists in a single repository.
  2. Not everyone has access to every mod, but only those who have requested permission.
  3. In a multi-player region, some player has to be nominated as the over-Mayor. The over-Mayor seeks agreement on Custom Content from all that regions players. A single player in a "private" region is automatically the over-Mayor.
  4. Mods are picked up by requesting access to them. Whether payment is involved is a separate issue, but I think it should not be there.
  5. When a mod is requested, a permission block is added to its controls that allows all the players in a given region to use it. It remains on the server.
  6. The Plugins list is simply a file giving a brief description of the mod, any conditions, and the permission.
  7. When a player accesses a mod, the permissions are simply checked.

Now this pretty much assumes that mods will be adjudicated. This precludes attempts to patch the game.

Don't you think the over-Mayor would be called the Governor instead?

1 person likes this

"Maxis has said that if your internet connection goes down, you can continue to play the game."

---

Course if my connection is down I can't start the game to begin with. No sale.

3 people like this

For over 20 years, most SimCity fans have been used to or prefer offline solo play. So to suddenly force everyone to go online is a huge risk. There must be an easier way to take-in this medicine.

"most SimCity fans" maybe not the target audience anymore.

That's what's confusing me. If you remember from the past Reddit AMAA, Kip specifically mentioned: "We’re targeting the fans who grew up with the franchise for sure". So why force everyone to go online? Or are there other 'special' plans for us?

You don't speak for all fans. I welcome the integration of online play; it'll keep the game varied and fun after I've already built a city of a million people. IMO, games requiring online is not a problem. The problem is countries like America that still treat the Internet as some kind of luxury that you "don't really need" and thus allow people to have crappy slow connections that may or may not work when they turn on the computer on a given morning. Too many people here whose thinking is stuck in the mid-20th century instead of planning for 20-50 years down the line (this goes beyond just Internet access BTW).

If the Net had the same quality and reliability of access as our electric grids have, having games require a net connection would be no issue, because it would be no different than requiring electricity to use the PC in the first place.

I don't even know where to start with this post...

First off, the U.S. is behind other countries with internet coverage because we have 90x the landmass of other developed countries. (japan, korea, uk, etc...) Its expensive and not always profitable to go into some areas with cable, fiber etc....

Second, we have been building our electric grid for around 100 years now...and we have been building our communication grid for 20 years? not to mention that it is WAY more expensive to expand the communication network then it is to expand the electric grid.

So you are comparing apples and oranges.

And my problem with the internet connection is: while I do have internet now, I didn't for almost 2 years while I was waiting for them to bring cable down my road, I couldn't play spore, I could do alot of things.. BUT I could play SC4, and I did... and I bought the STEX CD's and had them mailed to me. So while I do have internet connection now, I still feel for those who don't.. but want to game.

And I would be worried about EA cutting off the servers after a few years time? then what?

Hell I still play Age of Empires... what would of happened if that required a internet connection? would it be gone to the pages of history?

^I don't think it really matters what it is called. Region admin, over mayor, governor, president, prime minister, they're all the same.

Actually, I think I prefer Head Gnome.

3 people like this

"First off, the U.S. is behind other countries with Internet coverage because we have 90x the landmass of other developed countries. (Japan, Korea, UK, etc. ...) "

I take umbrage at that statement. You should check sometime. Canada and Russia are larger than the U.S. and yet we (Canada) have a campaign to get high-speed Internet to every part of this vast land. I understand they are running fast (satellite) circuits now in Inuvik and most of Nunavut. I live in a rural area and have permanent broadband hook-up.

Edited by A Nonny Moose
1 person likes this

I'm probably one of very few to not care that this is an online game now. Honestly, Sim City 4 got boring for me because it was only offline, even with ton's of mods.

I don't really care, since the only place I will be playing the game is here at home, and we have unlimited data.

I think that there should a cheating or sandbox mode where you can play while completely disconnected from the global economy with favorable supply, demand, and prices.

1 person likes this

I don't really care, since the only place I will be playing the game is here at home, and we have unlimited data.

People seem to be missing the point here. It's NOT about having a constant connection. Although that's not cool either. It's about being connected and influenced by the global market. The price of energy is NOT going to be determined by you and your solo play (or the game itself). The price of energy will be updated from a data cloud everytime a connection is detected. 90% of us here probably have a constant internet connection, that's not the point.

Personally, I'm excited about multiplayer, but I know there will be plenty of times, I just want to play in my own little bubble. Period.

The solution is super simple. A "solo/no-outside influence" mode and a "connected/multiplayer" mode. Having your game influenced from the outside should be an OPTION and not a requirement.

3 people like this

I could care less about "influenced by global market" too. Why? Because we have absolutely no idea how EXACTLY it will work. People are only making assumptions pointing to the worst way.