• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neurokirurgi

Discussion about Always-On Connection to Origin

1,352 posts in this topic

Yep, this game needs to have an independent, offline single player mode where we can connect multiple cities in a region.

Period. End of story.

For all its faults, if you can't swallow this then you can still play SC4.

2 people like this

Just to be clear the major problem with the always on requirement is what

happens if there server gets shut down in the future & the game can't verify

the security check.

Well you now have a $60 Paper weight,unless they release a update to change

that which I doubt will happen in that event.

Edited by BIWDC
3 people like this

What happens when a WoW server goes down? This is a simcity mmo and will be run more or less as such. Can't compare it to previous simcity's. People are very willing to buy online-only, multiplayer-only games these days. I'd like a totally offline mode too, but the amount of people who won't buy the game out of some protest for online connections isn't worth EA's concern. And besides, half the people here saying the online aspect has ruined the game for them will buy it anyways. It's an online game, deal with it, move on.

Just to be clear the major problem with the always on requirement is what

happens if there server gets shut down in the future & the game can't verify

the security check.

Well you now have a $60 Paper weight,unless they release a update to change

that which I doubt will happen in that event.

They probably would release an update for that. Monte Cristo did that when CXL online died.

All they need to do for SC is make it so that you can register the game once and then be able to play offline. I don't see any reason to force people to be online all the time; there are people who don't want anything to do with the outside economy and are perfectly happy playing in a bubble. By not including the option for that they're basically saying "We don't want your money, we're already freakin' rich!"

Well if they do release an update that would be better then

screwing people over.

I have splinter cell conviction for pc which has the always on

internet connection requirement & it annoys me that it won't

start unless it can connect to the internet first.

Edited by BIWDC

I didn't realize the save was online. If so that pretty much 100% kills purchasing Simcity 5 for me.

I've already told a couple of friends and they're in the same boat. One person brought up it's because EA is going to start pushing ads hence a big reason they want to track you... and they'll probably use a data scrapper too... and they'll "accidentally" capture more info than they need (because advertisers always want more).

Wait and see but you're shedding customers EA.

5 people like this

What happens when a WoW server goes down? This is a simcity mmo and will be run more or less as such. Can't compare it to previous simcity's. People are very willing to buy online-only, multiplayer-only games these days. I'd like a totally offline mode too, but the amount of people who won't buy the game out of some protest for online connections isn't worth EA's concern. And besides, half the people here saying the online aspect has ruined the game for them will buy it anyways. It's an online game, deal with it, move on.

This is exactly the attitude of many who went and bought CitiesXL after all the warnings and rants before launch. 3 months later what happened after launch. Yes I'm sure Maxis will do a better job when it comes to the quality of the game but that does not address the fact that this is a city builder, not characters running around with swords. Cityville is free on facebook so of course it does not hurt to try and I bet many who play that never touched Sim City. I tried Cityville one day and did not return because I am too used to SC4 which in my opinion is way better. Now with Sim City, we are paying $60 plus for a premium game that is said by the developers to target those of us who grew up playing Sim City. Monte Cristo was given the benefit of the doubt by many who wanted to look at the glass being half full. You cannot escape the crippling of a solo experience when all things are geared towards online functionality. So basically the way we know how to play Sim City and grew up with it is NOT the way they are making it. It's a different game. Evolution still retains what was good in the first place. This is like someone telling me they are making a newer model of my car for next year that will be amphibious and when I see it, it has no wheels and I am told I can only drive it on water. So it's now a boat. You say this is a simcity MMO but the developers did not say that.

Edited by Mr_Maison
3 people like this

Opting out as well. Probably won't make a difference to EA, but just want to go on record.

2 people like this

Updated the OP with my thoughts about the online requirement.

Speaking of mod support, it should be made easier from the user perspective. I am hoping for an integrated package manager approach, directly built into the game, with automatic updates and automatic handling of dependencies.

A manual way of installing mods should of course also exist, since the repository will most likely have to be maintained by Maxis and there's always the risk that the company will stop supporting the game.

Edited by neurokirurgi

:thumb:

...Yes I'm sure Maxis will do a better job when it comes to the quality of the game but that does not address the fact that this is a city builder, not characters running around with swords...

Exactly ... but the philosophy of business is being the same for any one title ... so do not expect many changes.

Edited by NCGAIO

Ocean said that they know the power of the modding community - from recreating the game down to fixing bugs (I'm assuming they mean changing the mechanics). So I'm quite sure there will be an offline mode option as soon as modding tools become available, or maybe even at an earlier date. Though ofcourse, online authentication will probably still be a requirement.

Can't say I am happy with this... I think I will move from "must buy immediately" to "wait and see".... and I think others will as well...

8 people like this

I guess I will have to wait and see how this is actually implemented. Maxis is playing with fire, though. There is a huge SimCity community and any negative press about the ACTUAL game once it comes out will kill sales. I am super excited to play a new installment, especially with this Glassbox engine, but I hope I can still play it without being TIED to the internet.

2 people like this

or they do it like, say, WoW, moddable but in the end they decide which mod is ok and which is not

People are very willing to buy online-only, multiplayer-only games these days.

Yes, but not with games that are by nature of the single player game. City simulation is not a player versus player type of game.

6 people like this

We sure need a thread pinned with all the FACTS about the game. Preferable a mod opens one and actualize the first post when new information is available and delete all non related discussions in the thread. This will prevent all the ´yo Maxis i heard you will *xyz*! I don´t buy the game if you do so!´ comments/threads. People read something somewhere and instead of posting they have a place to look for or ask if this new information is true! It is not the fault of the users who asking these questions or posting new threads because all true and confirmed information is scattered around in different threads on different places. To make it short: We need Ordnung!

1 person likes this

^I completely agree. Lock it so nobody can post and leave false information.

If SimCity is online-dependent, how is modding supposed to work? I suppose cosmetic changes would be fine, but would functional mods like NAM ever be possible?

3 people like this

^it amazes me the insensitivity to this fact. If developers would just get that in their heads we would be fine.

All very well if you’re into that sort of thing (social networking etc.), but I’m not! I wanted a new Sim City that was able to work completely standalone if I choose to play it that way.

First EA killed off the SIms for me and I stopped playing it, now they’ve done the same with the only other game I would play… thanks a bunch EA…

They seem to forget that not all of us want to be part of this ‘connected world’…

Oh well this’ll be my last post… it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for nothing EA…

3 people like this

Well, the press release said you need to be online for online features and for activating and connecting. The press release said that the single player game is backed up locally and can be played if the network becomes disconnected. That all seems very promising but I will neither condem (write scathing opinions) or approve (preprder) the new SimCity until E3.

New blog post stating about your connection with the Sim City world - http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/SimCity-The-Connection-Between-You-and-the-World

I posted up my reply to this on the comments section in there and in the "Sim City: Developed by Maxis...." sticky thread.

Overall, it's just now way too realistic for me to enjoy. I have always enjoyed city building games with cheats and no dependence on every other player. Even all of the Cities XL games had (including the first one - it had a single player you could use cheats and fixed commodity prices on - mods also fixed prices and added further cheats).

We sure need a thread pinned with all the FACTS about the game. Preferable a mod opens one and actualize the first post when new information is available and delete all non related discussions in the thread. This will prevent all the ´yo Maxis i heard you will *xyz*! I don´t buy the game if you do so!´ comments/threads. People read something somewhere and instead of posting they have a place to look for or ask if this new information is true! It is not the fault of the users who asking these questions or posting new threads because all true and confirmed information is scattered around in different threads on different places. To make it short: We need Ordnung!

Due to the nature of an open forum, we can't actually control what gets posted here. Sure we can moderate, but we only do that when a breach of the site rules occurs. Posting 'incorrect' information isn't against the rules.

The point of a forum isn't to act as notice board. If you want the facts and only the facts, you could head over to the official site and start reading through the developers blogs or watching the videos. The point of a forum is to facilitate discussion, and that usually means contrasting/ correct/ incorrect opinions and statements going head to head with each other.

If somebody posts something you think is incorrect, (politely :P) call them on it. Form your own opinions and hunt for the facts yourself. We can't do everything for you. :no:

But we're not totally heartless... the pinned threads we already have are supposed to make browsing this forum easier. They cover all the main topics and generally contain enough discussion for you to get a handle on all of the major issues. We are also adding more entirely factual articles to the Omnibus all the time, some of which already cover questions and answers (from the developers) of the new SC game.

---

Back to the topic of this thread...

The idea of a 'global economy' itself doesn't really worry me too much. I just wish there was a way to do it on my own PC.

Why isn't it possible to play the game in two separate modes? Online Mode (what Maxis has described so far) and Solo Mode (where everything is hosted locally and any 'global' resource calculations are randomly generated by your own PC.)

It could be as simple as checking a check-box when you start up a region. Maxis… are you there?

4 people like this

you will only need an internet connection to register your game!!!!

This is simply not accurate as things stand today based on Maxis's comments.

Edited by knighthawk75

The economy has to start somewhere. I would like to know what a fresh region is like. What about God mode? The way we been playing for years, we start with options to terraform a region in a very primitive state before a civilization is established. Is that gone now? If there is a preexisting economy, what is its origin? What ever circumstances I have to deal with in past Sim City games it is the result of my actions from beginning to end. If I overdo highway construction, it gets very expensive and I have to deal with it. But what I am describing is part of a solo experience. Joining an internet session is a different animal and I do not see myself in God mode unless I started my own region and acted as a host where my established city/cities form challenges for anyone who joins. Another question I have is if the Maxis server will be a planet, or multiple pre-made regions? Either way the solo play we know is nowhere to be found in this forced connectivity scenario.

Terraforming is still there just like before, they demonstrated it in their glass box presentation and has evolved to include resources(trees are no longer there to just look pretty). You can also still play solo and build a region all by yourself just like before. It's your choice if you want to play a region with others or by yourself. The global economy is just influencing resource prices based on how we all play. I would assume that if you're mining your own resources, you won't have to deal with the global market unless your entire region runs out and you'd have to start importing. And that's a typical scenario that plays out with cities, they're merely adding the next logical step to the series in a day and age that is heavily connected to the internet practically 24/7.

Edited by MINIggy03

Terraforming is still there just like before, they demonstrated it in their glass box presentation and has evolved to include resources(trees are no longer there to just look pretty). You can also still play solo and build a region all by yourself just like before. It's your choice if you want to play a region with others or by yourself. The global economy is just influencing resource prices based on how we all play. I would assume that if you're mining your own resources, you won't have to deal with the global market unless your entire region runs out and you'd have to start importing. And that's a typical scenario that plays out with cities, they're merely adding the next logical step to the series in a day and age that is heavily connected to the internet practically 24/7.

"Reconcile Edges" is what comes to mind when I think of terraforming and building cities next to neighbors. What if a neighbor decides he wants a big lake at the edge of his city and mine is solid land throughout. Connections would not be represented properly. I'm sure some kind of explanation will arise as to how this will be handled.

I must admit to being deeply suspicious of any massively multiplayer gameworld with a player-influenced "global economy." Too often such setups fall victim to macroer exploits, which horribly skew and inflate the economies. Meanwhile, ingame chats become smothered with trading bot spam, random trolls, and flamer noise, while even simple transactions are full of children pretending to be yakuza monopolies or loan shark pimps. For some, this type of social interaction is entertaining, but I find it tiresome and boring, and would never want my carefully crafted simcities, made myself for my own personal enjoyment, somehow left dependant upon or held hostage to the whims and exploits of nebulous strangers. I typically avoid the player marketplaces and block out all the general chat channels, and hope that in this new game, we can also permanently insulate and disengage ourselves from any online EA world.

Edited by Odainsaker
3 people like this

on origin it says in the fine print you only need to connect to the internet to register your game!