• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us with our donation goal for a new Chat upgrade!   04/17/2017

Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neurokirurgi

Discussion about Always-On Connection to Origin

1,352 posts in this topic

Has anyone been reading the comments section of that article? The discussion they've been having seem pretty important.

Right. EA has since clarified you will only need to be online when paying multiplayer and in order to “in order to start playing.” You will also not be kicked out “if your connection is interrupted.”

Hope that's true. Also, I completely agree with this statement here:

Heh, I love articles like these. It basically screams “Here’s some EA flame bait.”

Look, I can understand if you’re some sort of anti-establishment type that Origin looks like the coming of the Anti-Christ. But it’s not really that bad. It works pretty much the same as Steam and it tends to stay out of the way and do it’s job. In that way, in particular, it seems to do a better job than Steam.

All this EA hate makes absolutely no sense. Heaven forbid you give money to an evil corporation like EA. You already give your money to plenty of other evil corporations. What’s one more going to hurt? What exactly are you protesting by not buying games on Origin? Do you only reinforce monopolies that you happen to like (ala Steam)? It boggles my mind.

Its the simple fact that to me SimCity will always be a single player game. I have no interest in the online aspect AT ALL.

Then there is the fact that it is both a security and privacy issue. First I have to give information to EA to 'create an account'. Secondly, EA (Origin) knows every time I start the game. Its none of their business when I play the game, now is it?

For people like me who refuse to purchase a single player game that requires you to be internet connected to play, all I can say is thank goodness for Independent developers. The big corporations will continue down this path, it is apparently inevitable. Hopefully the smaller publishers and independents will not follow suit.

Hey y'all, old time vet returning on this news. I was a bit concerned but after reading the clarification I am a bit relieved. I am interested in multiplayer and the dynamic possibilities it could bring, but single player control is the fundamental gameplay feature of SimCity. Controlling and building an entire region, each city with its own look and feel... this is what SimCity is truly about. Maxis is watching us here in this very thread, mark my words. Let's make sure they listen.

JcCali1214, meowza and gabry85 like this

I pre ordered but I have never owned an I Pod, mind you this is the only video game I play, so for me 99 dollars on one game every ten years isn't that bad. The only thing that would kill me playing the game would be a monthly subscription charge more than it costs to keep my coffee tin full of grounds.

I pre ordered but I have never owned an I Pod, mind you this is the only video game I play, so for me 99 dollars on one game every ten years isn't that bad. The only thing that would kill me playing the game would be a monthly subscription charge more than it costs to keep my coffee tin full of grounds.

Considering the high initial price, they must be covering the initial cost of servers and some of the operating cost. If they get enough sales everything should be without charge as long as they can keep selling expansions and upgrades. Once it settles down, and revenue starts dropping, they will either cut and run or start charging to continue the servers. This depends on the customer base at the time.

Dewm likes this

For over 20 years, most SimCity fans have been used to or prefer offline solo play. So to suddenly force everyone to go online is a huge risk. There must be an easier way to take-in this medicine.

"most SimCity fans" maybe not the target audience anymore.

That's what's confusing me. If you remember from the past Reddit AMAA, Kip specifically mentioned: "We’re targeting the fans who grew up with the franchise for sure". So why force everyone to go online? Or are there other 'special' plans for us?

You don't speak for all fans. I welcome the integration of online play; it'll keep the game varied and fun after I've already built a city of a million people. IMO, games requiring online is not a problem. The problem is countries like America that still treat the Internet as some kind of luxury that you "don't really need" and thus allow people to have crappy slow connections that may or may not work when they turn on the computer on a given morning. Too many people here whose thinking is stuck in the mid-20th century instead of planning for 20-50 years down the line (this goes beyond just Internet access BTW).

If the Net had the same quality and reliability of access as our electric grids have, having games require a net connection would be no issue, because it would be no different than requiring electricity to use the PC in the first place.

Edited by Cobhris96

It's a shame SC2013 is going to die more than likely. I'll still buy it, because I know someone will quickly break it so you'll be able to play offline.

All EA is doing by enforcing always online is giving the pirates even more power. Maxis probably sees this but has no power to do other than what exactly EA tells them they can do.

And this is why I have given up on PC gaming in general. It isn't just SimCity. The whole industry has gone nuts shoving things like this down gamers' throats. And when people don't like it and look for ways around it, the industry keeps trying to stop them rather than listening to their concerns. The game makers (or, more accurately, the executives in charge) have their heads collectively up their asses and are out of touch with their customers. This is in no small part attributable to the fact that you don't have small companies (which are usually far more civilized) making games anymore - nowadays everyone worthwhile has been bought up by some giant such as EA, Take Two, Ubisoft, etc. Result? Customer satisfaction is meaningless so long as you make a profit. Ever notice how SimCity was more fun when it was just Maxis making it? That's not a coincidence. It's because the people who know what they're doing have been disposed of and replaced with people who will do the bidding of the higher-ups.

Didn't SC4 have no mod support at launch as well?

Yes and no.

January 2003: game released

June 2003: lot editor released

September 2003: Rush Hour released

March 2004: BAT released

While all the official tools we now have took time to come out, some mods were possible from the beginning. Though it wasn't until about April or May of 2003 that people started to tinker with the game. And this was stuff that involved people messing with parameters by popping the hood open. Things like changing the color of the water, making buildings grow more or less frequently, artificially increasing demand... there was no tool for any of this and still isn't. Buildings with modified stats were also possible through this method prior to the BAT.

Edited by Duke87

Considering the high initial price, they must be covering the initial cost of servers and some of the operating cost. If they get enough sales everything should be without charge as long as they can keep selling expansions and upgrades. Once it settles down, and revenue starts dropping, they will either cut and run or start charging to continue the servers. This depends on the customer base at the time.

There's another option: the initial price of SimCity includes some amount of connection time... one month, three months, a year. After that, you pay.

I heard this yesterday and I was SO gutted. This should be an optional feature.

Back in the UK, I had internet connectivity everyday because it was cheap. New Zealand is (more than) a little backwards when it comes to the net so I can't get on there everyday otherwise it uses up my "data limits" (back in the UK we sell net by speed not download sizes)...

Again, for me, it's not the always-online or DRM that really kills it (although I really hate that)...it's forcing me to interact with other players (and, yes,having to depend on others for resources in your cities even if you aren't directly building a region with them IS forcing you to intereact with others)

It's the Planet Offer all over again...did they learn nothing by watching Cities XL implode?

Again, for me, it's not the always-online or DRM that really kills it (although I really hate that)...it's forcing me to interact with other players (and, yes,having to depend on others for resources in your cities even if you aren't directly building a region with them IS forcing you to intereact with others)

It's the Planet Offer all over again...did they learn nothing by watching Cities XL implode?

I couldn't agree more!

I can sort of understand if they want to force us to register online ONCE to fight piracy, even though it may be a real problem for some. I havn't played a new EA game in ages, does anyone know if Origin has an offline-mode as STEAM does?

But i can't understand nor accept it if they will force us to play multiplayer, which includes something as small as the global market. If i can't play 100% by myself with my own rules and pace i won't buy it. Never liked online gaming.

cirugo, General Lee, Priyon and 2 others like this

But i can't understand nor accept it if they will force us to play multiplayer, which includes something as small as the global market. If i can't play 100% by myself with my own rules and pace i won't buy it. Never liked online gaming.

The global market has always existed in sim city. The only change is that the market values are set from a different source instead of being black blox voodoo.

CitiesXL's online mode failed because it lacked depth in gameplay, as many game reviewers have said. The new SimCity however seems like it has improved gameplay compared to the previous titles. But at this point of time, nobody can really tell until we get our hands on the game.

If, after it has been out for a while, I should decide to acquire this game, it will depend solely on experience reported by other players. On line or no makes no never mind to me. I have unlimited broadband connect, and I am on all the time. For some people this might seem expensive, but I am retired, more or less house bound, and it is a small expense monthly, and keeps me from going stir crazy.

Everyone must evaluate his own circumstances and any benefits. As the Romans would have said 'Cui bono?'.

This would perfectly fine as an OPTION (use external economy checkbox), one many of us thought about as far back as 90's, however as a 'requirement' it's a total mistake. You make this an option and you also allow the user to point it to the source of their choosing. Maxis\EA as the default but hey if you want to feed it your own data you should be able to do that as well, be it via your own custom econ-server if you will or a simple csv or something.

Edited by knighthawk75

I would agree it should be optional.

I believe what they may be doing is-

To start game you log into Origin/internet, to play you don't need to be connected in single mode. When you save a city it needs to be saved online.Same for loading cities, hence why you need to connect initially. External economy is optional I would imagine, depending on whether you are playing solo or MP.

At least I would assume and hope they are smart enough to do it that way.

I have no objectio to having multi-player or internet connected resources as an option. But not forced!

I have zero interest in playing with others, and I often play games 'offline'.

They have just a sale with this news.

First they start killing off the sims franchise and now it's simcity. What is the matter with EA!

cirugo, Priyon, Dewm and 3 others like this

I can sort of understand if they want to force us to register online ONCE to fight piracy,

That really has not much to do with piracy nor prevent it. it has to do with control and preventing second hand markets.

Priyon and Silur like this

I started off with the Simcity 1 (on the Amiga) and have bought every SC related PC game since. I'm highly disappointed by the news.

This is EA's attempt to cut off the used game market and it effectively means you don't buy Simcity 5, you rent it. This is also a privacy issue as EA doesn't need to know when or anything else about the game after I bought it for my own personal use. If that's part of the condition to buy the game, than I decline. And online Simcity 5 would be better served with a city exchange service where one can upload and download cities. Only a segment of the community wants to interact with other's cities. Personally, and from observation of the community in general, that's a low low priority feature when compared to advancing the actual city simulation.

I'm not 100% completely killed on buying SC5 but my stance now is to wait until after the game has been released and see what happens. But for now I'm going to have to say I'm leaning against buying it and give up on being a long time SC devotee. You'd think after 10 years, the load of BS that was Societies (though I ended up liking it heavily modified), and the painful lesson of Cities XL, EA might have come up with a better game plan than this?

Priyon, cirugo and Dewm like this

Being forced to be online all the time IS A BIG DEAL...I know vitually everywhere is connected to the internet, but some places just don't have connections (I rely on SimCity as my game of choice since I can play it whether I have internet or not.) Please stop being America centric in your comments about connectivity. I live in China right now and the internet is not always a given.

Any clarification on whether there WILL be always-on requirement...seems the story link says Sim City WILL NOT require it...just must register the game.

Priyon and cirugo like this

It is still unclear as to whether we have to be online all the time, or just while the game is loading.

Another thing that is not clear is whether, with the "cloud" of saves, one will be able to back out to a specific one, if only the last one that you asked for. You should be able to declare a cleanpoint to which you can retreat if you mess up. In the case of multi-player this may not be possible, or everybody rolls back.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

^ I just said the same thing in another thread. If you are playing solo there is no reason to maintain a connection. You should be able to connect and disconnect at need.

Another point, of course, is to have a co-process running that acts like a server on your own machine, but using whatever Interprocess Communication protocol is needed. You could even use your loopback Ethernet circuit. With all the CPUs aboard, you'd hardly tell the difference except it might be a bit faster.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

I still fail to see how multiplayer and permanent internet connection blend in with the promised modding capabilities... :sly:

I still fail to see how multiplayer and permanent internet connection blend in with the promised modding capabilities... :sly:

Do what all the other games do: disable multiplayer, (see: Civ V), or run modded games seperatly from everyone else (see: Civ IV)

It is still unclear as to whether we have to be online all the time, or just while the game is loading.

I quote again to be more visible ...

"" Speaking to Joystiq, SimCity Lead designer Stone Librande has revealed that the new SimCity will be an “internet-dependent experience.” You’ll need to stay connected to the net through Origin if you want to keep playing.

He cited SimCity’s multiplayer features, like the global economy that will let players sell excess resources on a massive connected market, as the reason for the always-online requirement. ""

by Tom Senior at 4:21 pm 28 March 2012

PCGAMER

Edited by NCGAIO
arcology and Priyon like this

They just recently corrected their press statements.

You will need to be online to start the game, and to save, but if your connection goes down while you're playing you won't be booted out. If it goes down, it will just upload your city the next chance it has. No offline mode, but you won't need a perfect reliable connection. You could connect, disconect and play, then connect again when you want to save.

They just recently corrected their press statements.

You will need to be online to start the game, and to save, but if your connection goes down while you're playing you won't be booted out. If it goes down, it will just upload your city the next chance it has. No offline mode, but you won't need a perfect reliable connection. You could connect, disconect and play, then connect again when you want to save.

Then see if it's not a huge folly... I have to be logged in to start the game and also to go out (to save changes) or have to be always connected.

Of course no one would buy a game in single player mode to stay unnecessarily occupying a system service. The problem is if I lose the connection for local reasons as I save the game. Who will ensure that these servers are always active ... ()

We all know that it is still early to say anything to me but the comings and goings of certain statements and the evasive answers to specific questions only demonstrate that the the market philosophy of the new Simcity and totally different than I expected.

As I said before I will not pay for a simple game a "License," as if it were a system or business application, and I'm sure the producers who go this route are not even slightly concerned with consumers but with profits. Luck of the independents who will see your sales grow!

Edited by NCGAIO

Very bad! That updated report is not good enough. I have no objection to an online mode but I do have a problem with no offline mode. I do not have a problem with having to register the game on line in order to activate it like Photoshop and other programs; that I can live with. But when it comes to saving my cities, are they saying I cannot choose a location on my hard drive? As some have stated here, Sim City is one of those games you play when you do NOT have internet. This means they are basically making a multiplayer only game no matter how they are trying to spin it. If my gameplay experience is dependent on being connected with others even when playing solo, it is multiplayer in cubicles which is a contradiction in itself. I like playing Flight Simulator always connected to the net because I use real world weather updates. I play Call of Duty always connected because I play multiplayer. But I do not play Sim City always connected because it is a solo experience. They need to either come clean and just say that it will be an MMO or use the time between now and launch and find a way to give us the choices we really want. At first I feel like I would be one of the first to buy it....I realy want to but if it is just an MMO I will wait and judge it for some time after launch. Many others will do the same and that means less revenue for EA which puts the longevity of this title at risk. If I do not buy it I will be very disappointed. Remember EA....Sim City 4 is still selling on store shelves and it does not require online to play. What is the problem?

Priyon, cirugo, arcology and 1 other like this