• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neurokirurgi

Discussion about Always-On Connection to Origin

1,352 posts in this topic

Has anyone been reading the comments section of that article? The discussion they've been having seem pretty important.

Right. EA has since clarified you will only need to be online when paying multiplayer and in order to “in order to start playing.” You will also not be kicked out “if your connection is interrupted.”

Hope that's true. Also, I completely agree with this statement here:

Heh, I love articles like these. It basically screams “Here’s some EA flame bait.”

Look, I can understand if you’re some sort of anti-establishment type that Origin looks like the coming of the Anti-Christ. But it’s not really that bad. It works pretty much the same as Steam and it tends to stay out of the way and do it’s job. In that way, in particular, it seems to do a better job than Steam.

All this EA hate makes absolutely no sense. Heaven forbid you give money to an evil corporation like EA. You already give your money to plenty of other evil corporations. What’s one more going to hurt? What exactly are you protesting by not buying games on Origin? Do you only reinforce monopolies that you happen to like (ala Steam)? It boggles my mind.

Edited by Yoshiisland

From the Joystiq article--another great Ocean Quigley quote:

"Right now we've got our work cut out for us to build the product up to the quality level it deserves as a SimCity," Quigley said. "Then after we ship, we'll make decisions about how we can and when exactly we'll support mods. But it's worth pointing out that the reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game.

"We're very cognizant of that -- we're not idiots."

Vanilla/pre-Rush Hour/Deluxe really didn't support a lot of modding, either, and even with the release of the Lot Editor 6 months after, and Rush Hour/Deluxe 9 months later, it probably took at least a year after SC4 was released before there was an established custom content community. The BAT tool didn't come out until sometime in late 2003/early 2004. SimGoober's first release ("Ships at Anchor") wasn't until February 2004. NAM Version 1 came out 15 months after SC4 was released, in April 2004, and it was extremely basic compared to the NAM many of you now know and love. No GLR, no roundabouts, no dual-networking, and certainly no RHW, no NWM. There were no custom bridges until nearly 4 years after release. Puzzle-drag overrides didn't make it out to public release until 4 1/2 years (June 2007) after SC4 was released.

When a game is released, there's also not really much utility in modding until the players have had a chance to see what the game includes, how it works, and what could be expanded or improved. It makes sense that they want to finish the game first, and then let folks go wild with it down the road. That's how it happened with SC4, and it turned out to be a viable model. Why mess with success?

As far as the online thing, this is basically just confirming stuff we already kind of knew. Unlike Monte Cristo, they're actually being upfront about it and they don't seem to really be "neutering" the game for it. Besides, if you want to play completely offline, they've still got a great product called SimCity 4 that's just for you.

-Tarkus

They lost my sale if I can't play this game while I'm offline. I mainly planned to purchase it so I can enjoy myself during the 2 hour train rides I have traveling school each day. I don't have internet connectivity on the train..

No mod support at the time of launch is perfectly acceptable; people conveniently forget that SC4 did NOT release with mod tools. The always online thing might be a bit annoying, but in this day and age it doesn't surprise me. The Internet is a basic utility now; it should be treated like electricity, running water, and telephone service have been for a century now.

Why are we bringing up Modding support in a thread about the Always-Online, Ubisoft-like crap they're pushing?

I can understand why they're doing it, but it's all fluff. I don't want someone from across the world determining the price of some resource in my city. I want to control an entire world, not a single 2x2km space. I play an 80km x 74km region for a reason.

Also, if they're going to continue to rip off Steam with game backups, then rip them off properly. Rip off the Steam Cloud. It works and is unintrusive.

Well, its nice to see it clearly stated the game needs a online connection. I was expecting it to be honest.

Considering the percentage of people with a constant at home connection and broadband at that, its a non-issue for most gamers.

Also as everyone else stated, mod support is a non issue since no simcity to my recollection was released with immediate mod support.

I don't understand how it is that difficult to make the game offline which is what frustrates me the most about this news.

Making a game so that it will work offline not difficult at all. Offline gaming is just not compatible with EA's DRM strategy, which is to force everyone online via Origin. EA isn't doing this because they must, they're doing it because they want to.

When I buy a game, I want to buy it... especially for their prices. Not rent it and have everything disapear when the cityville crowd rolls out

You may believe this, but their license clearly states that you are just renting the game from them.

I am one of those people who will probably not buy the game because it is online only. My gaming machine never touches the internet.

gabry85, AnnArbor, Priyon and 1 other like this

Hi folks...

Let's keep this discussion to one topic... that is the requirement (or not) for an online connection.

The issue of modding has been clearly, explained... that is no game out of the box should be expected to be shipped with modding capability.

EA / Maxis have clearly stated that they will be supporting modding post release.

Further modding discussion should take place in the modding discussion thread...

http://www.simtropol...ing-discussion/

Thanks.

Craig-Abcvs

Simtropolis Moderator

Priyon and His Divine Hand like this

I will not buy a game like this that is dependent on other people online for ANYTHING. The always online thing I despise but could live with...forcing me to participate in the global "marketplace" is an absolute game-killer.

Silur, Dewm, thunderbird32 and 1 other like this

This always on internet connection business needs to stop,it does not

prevent illegal use & it prevents you from playing the game that you bought

& paid big money for offline especially since now your going to be paying

$60 for this new game.

It is unnecessary for an always on connection requirement as it provides no

real benefits to the user.

Silur, Pepper, gabry85 and 4 others like this

$60 for this new game.

I think you're just speaking on behalf of the people who don't want online play. If turning a game online didn't made money, EA would have simply brushed the idea off. Apparently there's a good market there, so they're confident enough on investing millions into it.

While online multiplayer is a nice idea, SimCity in my opinion should still have the option to play as a fully solo player, completely unaffected by any external force. Staying true to the notion that: "This is my world, and not of anybody else."

Darth Hudig, Priyon and jacksunny like this

Has anyone been reading the comments section of that article? The discussion they've been having seem pretty important.

Right. EA has since clarified you will only need to be online when paying multiplayer and in order to “in order to start playing.” You will also not be kicked out “if your connection is interrupted.”

Heh, I love articles like these. It basically screams “Here’s some EA flame bait.”

Look, I can understand if you’re some sort of anti-establishment type that Origin looks like the coming of the Anti-Christ. But it’s not really that bad. It works pretty much the same as Steam and it tends to stay out of the way and do it’s job. In that way, in particular, it seems to do a better job than Steam.

All this EA hate makes absolutely no sense. Heaven forbid you give money to an evil corporation like EA. You already give your money to plenty of other evil corporations. What’s one more going to hurt? What exactly are you protesting by not buying games on Origin? Do you only reinforce monopolies that you happen to like (ala Steam)? It boggles my mind.

I really don't like STEAM as much as I don't like Origin. And Origin performs far worse than STEAM. This is especially true when you update your game through Origin. If you cancel your update, you will go back to 10% of the download if you're download exceeded 10% of the update. Basically, if your connection gets cut at 90%, you go back to 10% and complete the 80%... again, along with the other 10%. I have no idea why that happens. I'm also still figuring out how to create a back-up for a game in Origin, which can easily be done in STEAM. But to be fair, Origin is still in beta (It still says Origin Beta on my Origin)... but why release a beta? Regardless of that privacy controversy from Origin, this for me is the reason why STEAM is better than Origin. Of course, I'd prefer to play without them.

I hope that first statement is true though.

Edited by frdrcklim

$60 for this new game.

I think you're just speaking on behalf of the people who don't want online play. If turning a game online didn't made money, EA would have simply brushed the idea off. Apparently there's a good market there, so they're confident enough on investing millions into it.

While online multiplayer is a nice idea, SimCity in my opinion should still have the option to play as a fully solo player, completely unaffected by any external force. Staying true to the notion that: "This is my world, and not of anybody else."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i was never big on mutiplayer online in games & it does seem kinda silly for Sim City,

However it still does not require an always on connection requirement.

If your internet connection is not active you activate it then start the game if needed for online features & if you choose to have a always on connection then that's your choice.

I don't like to keep my internet wireless adapter connection active all the time unless i am online

for something.

Edited by BIWDC
Silur likes this

If I have to have an internet connection to start the game, they will get no sale from me, totally unnecessary. It's exactly the type of game always know I can play when my internet is down.

I just knew EA would screw this up.

Edited by knighthawk75

Removed masked swearing
gabry85, Pepper, Silur and 1 other like this

There are only two issues I have with online requirement.

1. I am a pauper, and at present I can't afford hefty broadband bills, so I hope the data download amount will not be too excessive.

2. I have some fears about finite server life. After the initial period of popularity with hardcore g4m3r5 who want to top the leaderboards and troll each other till they get bored, I hope the game will still be available, and with no monthly subscriptions or additional costs.

Put basically if it requires a monthly subscription above, say, ten dollars, I wouldn't continue playing it, and if the download amount is too high (i.e more than a gig per month if I was playing say three hours a day) I also would either drastically limit gameplay time, or cease playing it. I expect a solid, consistent server.

They said data transfers will be very light (many of them worked on Spore, so they should know what "light" actually means). And that the game can still run even after you remove the net plug.

About subscription fees, again, I think they'll do what they did to Spore; meaning it'd be pay to own, and free to play - hopefully. Cause if not, then that'd be a real deal-breaker for me.

BurroDiablo likes this

For over 20 years, most SimCity fans have been used to or prefer offline solo play. So to suddenly force everyone to go online is a huge risk. There must be an easier way to take-in this medicine.

For over 20 years, most SimCity fans have been used to or prefer offline solo play. So to suddenly force everyone to go online is a huge risk. There must be an easier way to take-in this medicine.

"most SimCity fans" maybe not the target audience anymore. The past times where you invite your friends to play Decathlon on your brand new C=64 is long over. Now you invite people over facebook to play online shooters and organize MMORPG raids via skype. It´s not that i like this but it´s the way it is now. But we customers do have some power. Take a look at the customer reviews for BF3. You don´t need to speak german to understand the 3.648 1 Point reviews. It´s all about Origin and as a consequence EA did change their EULA.

But i am to curious how this game will be that i will buy it. I´m not a fan of Origin, Steam or the always-online-doctrine and i don´t have games that requires this but this is SIM CITY! Developed by MAXIS!

It is not an always-on connection!! It only checks that you are online when you start the game. After that, if you DC, you wont be disconnected whatsoever.

There.

Edited by Blue Lightning

Removed all caps

Article now states "SimCity will not require always-on connection, no mod support at launch

EA Maxis has confirmed to SimCity will be sold on digital distribution platforms other than Origin, but the game will still require players log on to EA’s service to register the game. It has also said there won’t be mod support for the game, at least at launch."

Its the simple fact that to me SimCity will always be a single player game. I have no interest in the online aspect AT ALL.

Then there is the fact that it is both a security and privacy issue. First I have to give information to EA to 'create an account'. Secondly, EA (Origin) knows every time I start the game. Its none of their business when I play the game, now is it?

For people like me who refuse to purchase a single player game that requires you to be internet connected to play, all I can say is thank goodness for Independent developers. The big corporations will continue down this path, it is apparently inevitable. Hopefully the smaller publishers and independents will not follow suit.

Priyon, KeanoManu and Dewm like this

It is not an always on connection!! It only checks that you are online when you start the game. After that, if you DC, you wont be disconnected whatsoever.

There.

The news that we see out there says otherwise ....

"" Speaking to Joystiq, SimCity Lead designer Stone Librande has revealed that the new SimCity will be an “internet-dependent experience.” You’ll need to stay connected to the net through Origin if you want to keep playing. He cited SimCity’s multiplayer features, like the global economy that will let players sell excess resources on a massive connected market, as the reason for the always-online requirement. ""

by Tom Senior at 4:21 pm 28 March 2012

PCGAMER

Dewm, thunderbird32 and Priyon like this

So if we got a connection failure while playing on single player mode, the economy of our city will be going to break all the balance of our city, so demands will be all unbalanced and it going to unbalance all game because of connection failure.

i will not buy this game.

Edited by Blue Lightning

Removed swearing
Dewm and Priyon like this

"most SimCity fans" maybe not the target audience anymore.

That's what's confusing me. If you remember from the past Reddit AMAA, Kip specifically mentioned: "We’re targeting the fans who grew up with the franchise for sure". So why force everyone to go online? Or are there other 'special' plans for us?

OK, let's review SimCity 4 history:

First it shipped cold, then a patch set was published because of being rushed out the door.

Next the Lot Editor was published, and you could now modify existing lots using the props provided.

Next Rush Hour shipped with yet another set of patches.

BAT was next with a new Lot Editor, the two Bldg_Props files, and the BAT, but you had to get gmax on your own.

With the exception of a few keen people like ilive (bless him), that was it.

EA Maxis did nothing more except run a buggy, virus-ridden exchange full of copycats, more freebie landmarks, and a forum for a few months.

Simtropolis gave the game a new lease on life, and other sites followed and/or spun off. We have a large personal investment here, and Dirk and the staff deserve all the praise we can heap on them. In spite of some rough patches, we still live.

Now here comes a new and modern version of something called SimCity with a lot of hype, and a lot of people champing at the bit. I think if conclusions were sticks out the window in a high tower many of them would leap to their deaths. Some people have already bought this pig in a poke based on the earliest and sketchiest hype. These are the same people that buy new iPods every year because they are new, not because they need them. These people have too much disposable income. *sigh* it is a symptom of the new consumer society, alas.

Now, about the on-line aspect: It is too bad that some of our members live in under-serviced Internet areas. I am always on-line and have a broadband connection with unlimited use and I live in a rural area. I don't really object to being on-line to run a game, but I do object to some of the provisions of Origin's EULA. I think their legal people have created an unenforceable document, but I don't have the funds to attack it. I will probably, therefore, avoid it. This means I will be unable to purchase this new toy.

They said the game will still run normally even if your Internet connection fails while you are playing.

I think that when you reconnect you will get updated with the current stats. Now if you are in a multi-player game there might be a considerable pause while you get caught up.

If you are playing solo, will you care? Probably only if you want to switch to a new city in your region. A brief session will fix that.

About subscription fees, again, I think they'll do what they did to Spore; meaning it'd be pay to own, and free to play - hopefully. Cause if not, then that'd be a real deal-breaker for me.

This is how it is for me, I'm hoping no subscription fees explain the inflated price of the base game... Limited Edition is a good £10 more expensive than the other new games on Origin, and Deluxe is £30 more! If there are subscription costs on top the monstrous initial cost, they can kiss my sale goodbye.

Silur and Priyon like this