Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disasters

91 posts in this topic

Posted

I love big explosions, so I really wanted to give players a comparable number of options to tear down their creation as they had to build it up.

I approached the issue on many vectors. First and most familar with veteran players are natural disasters. So naturally earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanos, and meteor strikes are apart of the design. But one thing I wanted to do was create a sense that the region was an actual piece of active land, so I expand the tools to include the region resource system. So players can, in designing their region, create areas of high volcanic probability and the players of that region wouldn't know it until an eruption occurs or their education is high enough to detect the danger at their feet. Other tools include specifying fault lines for earthquakes, and building the water to allow for flooding.

Apart from natural disasters are those brought on by us. Fires, toxic spills, and space debris are examples.

If you then look at other things that affect our lives. Add in a sprinkle of the resource/job model the game uses and you can get industrial disasters. Tree farms could be hit by termites, coal mine could be hit with an explosion, gold refinery could have a chemical spill, rocket launch pad could have a failed launch... These would be disasters on two fronts, dealing with any damage, and the economic hit to the city because that industry would need to be closed (perm or temp).

Now we get to scripted events that are just fun. Think of these events as mini-scenarios. For example, if you build a city based on health care jobs, and overbuild the service. You could have the Genetic Research Facility spawn a Zombie outbreak. This would be a simple process of finding the source, and begin spreading the effect using a basic algorithm. It would be up to the mayor to stop the event, using tools I describe below.

Another event is a Robot Rebellion sparked at the Robot Research Facility (High Tech).

One more complex item I wanted to include would be tricky to do, but fun to watch and that is a High Speed chase event. The way I see it is when the event is sparked a vehicle is choosen in a higher crime area, a route out of the city is determined (the city would need 3 or more city connections) and the event starts. You'd have to try to stop the car using the police dispatch system. If you stop the car, crime goes down for a short time, if you don't stop the car, your cities Happiness level goes down a little.

Other events would be limited only by your imagination and the scripting engine.

But how to stop a zombie outbreak? A robot rebellion? Well that is where the final type of city destruction comes in. Military dispatches. I've always wanted to send a missile to a part of my city and watch the cool destruction. This is where the feature shines. I want to be able to dispatch missiles, tanks, jets, and bombers. Jets could fight an alien menace, tanks could quell riots, bombers could lay waste to zombies, and missiles can take out entire blocks of your city.

The most destructive disaster, however, is one that should be obvious to many. Meteors do damage many exponential degrees higher than what the other disasters could accomplish. I see this disaster as it's own special cinematic event. The longer the player holds down the mouse button to trigger the event the larger the object that falls. Entire cities can be destroyed, easily. Still thinking of how to effect multiple cities with this one. This disaster would be so powerful it would be the only one to effect the resources in the terrain. Essentially the meteor would destroy or fracture the resources. But the flip side is that it would be able to lay down highly unique resources that would only be available from the disaster. Iridium deposits are a great example of this.

So as with nature, disasters can destroy, but they can also create new opportunities for players to tanget their experience from tedium to fun quickly. As with all other features, this system is modable and fans can create any disaster they feel is missing.

Posted

High volcanic activity should increase the power of geothermal plants.

Areas more prone to floods should rarely experience droughts and have higher production of water.

Places prone to droughts should have higher production of solar power as long as air pollution is low.

Verdad?

jacksunny likes this

Posted (edited)

Sounds totally awesome! :thumb: Just wondering, are there going to be nuclear accidents? You could vary the intensity so it could be anywhere from an extremely low radiation release, only damaging part of the nuclear plant or nuclear waste storage, to a massive event on the scale of Chernobyl, rendering a good deal of your region uninhabitable for (simulated) decades or even centuries. Just a thought. ;)

EDIT: Also, how about a massive disease outbreak?

Edited by emperordaniel
jacksunny likes this

Posted

The severity of nuclear disasters should be dependent on the model, age, and percent maintenance paid for the reactor. A modern, generation 4 power plant built in the past 10 years with full funding cannot melt down.

Posted

With the nuclear power plant, sure.

Posted (edited)

What about human error-derived nuclear accidents, and also nuclear accidents that do not involve a meltdown? (ex: an accident at a nuclear waste storage facility)

Speaking of nuclear waste storage, perhaps a facility for that purpose should be something that your city is forced to build within 5 years or so of getting a nuclear power plant?

Edited by emperordaniel

Posted

Nuclear waste can be stored, exported, or reprocessed.

Posted

Whatever you're going to do with it, you're going to need a facility for the purpose, which is my basic idea ;)

Posted

Most nuclear power plants can store a decades worth of waste and securely export a months worth each week (as long as there is no crime). Certain power plants process spent fuel rods, breed nuclear fuel in a low power producing cycle, then generate a high amount of electricity or hydrogen with all radioactive waste generated being 1/10 as much as what it began with an 1/1000 the half life.

I think that environmental disasters would be cool. Too much regional air pollution (greenhouse gasses might be a separate pollution), can stop it from snowing, increase severity of droughts, storms, and floods and raise sea levels.

Posted

terrorism?

just write an algorithm for the favorability of a city( city A) when its not in the vicinity of the other attacking city( city B). the presence of police, fire departments, and military bases greatly decrease the probability while the closeness of the city to large plains and massive bodies of water slightly raise this chance. declining deals when the other city needs the resources( city B) may actually cause a cities favorable-ness to drop, and when that city's favorability reaches a certain point, the cites in the region that aren't in that metro area will become bitter towards them (city A).

i know cities in the same area dont usually terrorize each other, but it'll make for good play.

Posted (edited)

Oh, I have a good one... WAR! :P

What if a war breaks out near your city? That could be good (or bad) for the economy (depends on the city), and also perhaps cause a slow population drain (or maybe rise in population), and if your city is attacked... :P

Edited by emperordaniel

Posted

One of the rewards could be a particle accelerator, something like the C.E.R.N.. A funny catastrophe could be an artificial black hole or strange matter, eating a large part of the city :P

trounoir-rhic.jpg

Solar flares, shutting down the electricity and communications of the city

star_flare.jpg

Space junks, locust swarms, whirlpools and toxic clouds from Simcity 3000 World Edition should be back as well :ohyes:

Meteors do damage many exponential degrees higher than what the other disasters could accomplish. I see this disaster as it's own special cinematic event. The longer the player holds down the mouse button to trigger the event the larger the object that falls. Entire cities can be destroyed, easily.

It can be very useful for the earthquakes as well. In the end, you'll end up with something like this...

2012-los-angeles-sinking-ocean-560x329.jpg

Toothless Stitch likes this

Posted

Oh yes, the toxic clouds are something I really miss from SC2K (it always made me laugh to see those little buildings get all covered and invisible in this big square cloud of smoke :P)

Posted

Tsunamis...

Posted

terrorism?

It should be a event that only affects a busy area.

Targets should be areas that are important to a city, like a power station, or a mass transit station.

After the attack, a memorial can be built.

Not building it will cause mayor rating to drop.

clarelvsroxy likes this

Posted

Hmmm... nice idea 2farnorth :)

Posted

I have an idea aswell. What if that when creating a region or whatever it will be, there is a very small chance that a meteor will strike sometime in the future (many game years) and the player wont find out untill he/she has a city/region with high enough education to detect it. After that, the player has either decades or centuries to research technology to stop the asteroid/meteor.

Anyway, these ideas all seem great. One of the things i believe SC4 lacks is destruction and proper disaters.

Posted

Maybe a dinosaur outbreak, a la Jurassic Park? :P You could get it once you've built a scientific research center (or whatever it's called) :P

clarelvsroxy likes this

Posted

Almost anything is possible with mods...

Wars will not be. This isn't a RTS war game but a city builder. :) If you want war, go get Supreme Commander 2 or Civ V

:)

clarelvsroxy likes this

Posted

Are riots part of your design? If so, will they be easier to trigger than in SC4? :P

Posted

Sure, riots are possible. With scripting, almost anything is possible. :)

Posted

Will you incorpate rain falling, the sun goign up and down, (like a real model of the sun and moon), snow, hail, sleet, ect, if so That would be awesome, and if I can help in any way, just let me know via PM.

Posted

Maybe floods could deposit layers of mud in select parts of the affected region, causing new land to form? Maybe they could also wash away segments of land as well :P

Posted

Frex, that post is something that should go in feature ideas thread. Please read it before you post, though.

Daniel, that would consume a supercomputer's worth of power to simulate erosion and deposition.

---> http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2009-eg-sph/eg09-krystof-sph_erosion.pdf

Believe me, I would include it if I could, but computers are still a bit behind on being able to do this.

Though I might be able to simulate a flood if I were to temporally disable the other simulations and dedicate all resources to water. Though it would require intensive GPU programming using CUDA or OpenCL.

--->

How cool would that be? We're close to being able to do it, another 2 generations of nVidia cards will probably be able to handle it. Will ATI ever support it? Who knows.

Posted

zoo break out

Posted

zoo break out

Reminds me of what happened in Ohio.

Flooding and droughts could be added as well as other nations declaring war.

Posted

A disaster to have would be train crashes which would affect the demand for industry negatively.

Possibly a train crash could trigger a second sub disaster that only happens if certain criteria is met.

For example: If you have a toxic waste dump in your city and two freight trains crash this could trigger a toxic substance spill. this would kill all trees in the area and make it radioactive, and decrease the desirability around the area.

If you have a military base in your city and a train crashes a explosion may occur (we're assuming the train is carrying missiles).

If you have a prison and the train crashed it could release highly dangerous criminals in the city which would increase the crime rate in the area and negatively affect the mayor rating if a curfew ordinance or a neighborhood watch ordinance was not imposed for a certain period of time.

The same idea could be used with airplanes also. they could randomly crash either at the airport or in the city destroying some property and starting fires. this would require a fire dispatch. it would also increase the patients in the nearby hospitals temporarily.

boats too. if ferries are implimented they could randomly sink or get 'lost at sea'. or there could be things like random giant squid attacks the sink boats

if you have a beach you could have shark attacks or killer whales or piranahs attack.

other types of sub disaster scenarios could be if your land area is more that 50% water then there is a chance that an earth quake will trigger a tsunami and the same goes for meteors. if a large enough meteor land in a body of water then it will cause a tsunami to the coasts of all surrounding cities not just the current city

another idea is if lighting stikes a power plant the power goes out until you repair the plant. or if it stikes a water pump it sends an electrical surge through all the water supply connected to that pump killing a very small percentage of the population.

as i beleive was already stated failed rocket launches from military bases or shuttle launches from the space port could damage the city/mayor rating/ economy all at the same time. these disasters may occur more frequently if the overall sim IQ is low when the spaceport or military base is developed. the higher the IQ the less of a chance of mistakes or human error, resulting in less disasters. much like in real life.

I beleive i read in the education post the the IQ is going to go from 0-200

so using that as a scale. lets say you unlock the space port at 120 IQ and whatever other criteria needs to be met to build it. alright so you build it and right off the bat there is a ~20% chance of the first launch failing. if there is one launch every year ingame and your IQ increases 10 points in that year the rate of failure could go down about 5 percent until you reach 160 IQ where there is only a ~1% chance of a disaster occuring.

Ordinances could be made that decrease the chance of the other disasters i stated.

for example: the free coffee ordinance would decrease the chance of train conductors falling asleep which inturn would decrease the chance of train accidents.

or a bird hunting ordinance could decrease the chance of airplane collisions with bird and it would also increase overall health (by lowering the chance of bird flu or the like.)

an ordinance for lower water polution would keep things like giant squid attacks from happening.

and a lower maintnence for the rail lines or air transport would also increase the chances of disaster.

Posted

I always thought that Tech Level should be dependent on a simple function of mean and top education levels, over time, with bonuses from High Tech Industry. Although, an "off the charts" Tech Level of 400 would be possible if everyone is educated to the maximum level, primary employment is in the vast, high density High Tech Industry, and the city has maintained its EQ for over 100 years. It would also be cool if a Tech Level of 200 would unlock a new architecture style/tile-set: futuristic or a new location: Mars.

All of your suggestions sound good on paper. Raising sea levels might be possible with some algorithms and would be dependent on greenhouse gas emissions of the region.

Posted

Just two things I want.

1:Turn off disasters button.

2: buttons to trigger each single disaster where you want and how you wnat.

Posted

military/militia revolt?