• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
beebs

guide
For the Eager, Yet Overwhelmed Newcomer

178 posts in this topic

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Edited by LuapYllier
jacksunny, Ro-Bo and by_myslf_oscar like this

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Whoop.. did I miss a few? I'll do a check through this afternoon.

Glad you guys like it :) If there's anything you feel I've missed going over, let me know and I can add a section on it.

I believe all that were meant to be links have been repaired. Please post if something else isn't appearing. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Done... Thanks.

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

ditto. thanks.

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

If you are going to BAT, run the "BAT Essentials" tutorial from the Omnibus. Every paragraph has some new, important point.

Hi

When clicking on Simcity link to get patches the page just comes up with an error. It makes me think that the page does not now exist.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Welcome to the great conversation.

You will find this is a very useful thread. It was constructed initially to help a member who was "all at sea". Have fun.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

A Remarkable Guide and Introduction; Thank You, A Nonny Moose.

I have acquired my SC4 + Rush Hour from Steam. What can I, and can I not, do with it...apart from uninstalling it and getting a pack from Amazon or similar?

My Regards

Well, if you find the SimCity 4.exe and check, you should find that you have build level 1,1,641 which is fully patched, diskless and ready to go. If you want to run without Steam's nonsense, make a new shortcut to the .exe, put it on your desktop and everything you see here about command line options applies. You don't have to log on to Steam unless you feel they deserve to snoop around in your system.

Heres a tip for all newcomers:, when you start a new reigon, don't pick a random tile anywhere on the region, start at one corner with a small village on a 1 x 1 tile, then slowly expand outwards from it, i've tried this as an experiment and it's worked well; I've done 11 villages( o n 1 x 1 tiles) and 3 towns (on 2 x 2 tiles) and so far have almost 200k sims just in one small corner of the region!( i used a unmodified plains region for this.)

What i've done as i'm going along is to build up road and avenue infrastructure in a grid pattern linking the tiles together, this helps the sims move about more freely.

What i've done is to play each village and town up to 20 game years before moving on to the next so far the results have been quite satisfying

why not try it, yourself.

This is a pretty good strategy. The only modification I would make is that make sure the tile is in the black. Not hard to do, and I find this more satisfying than not.

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

Edited by Nielsen

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

It was kind of there, but made it clearer. Thanks.

I cannot thank you enough. As a returning player from the days when this game was brand new, I am astonished to see what the custom community has done and I felt extremely lost when I started to look around. Great walk-through to get up to speed and resources to start digging around for, at the very least, the most commonly used mods. I now feel less and less like I'm missing out on something big as, thanks to this thread and this community, it's all put out front.

Edited by thowwoht

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

It is multi-part. You should just go on to the next piece.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Funinthesun187
      Description
      This is a 1:1 scale map of the greater area of Boston, Massachusetts. Since this is my first map, there might be a few kinks. Areas include: downtown Boston, Boston Logan Intl. Airport, Cambridge, Winthrop, Brookline, and more! This map is almost completely flat, so it's perfect for heavy development.
      Instructions on installation in the readme file included in the download.
    • By Ronyx69
      So I was recently looking at some Japan driving videos and got inspired to make some highway pillars.
      I'm planning to make an entire set of various types of pillars in this style, even a 6cell over-canal pillar. (if it goes okay)
      Tell me what you think about my first attempt, I need to nail the style and the details before I start making other variations.
      Constructive criticism welcome, also any ideas.
      By the way, do pillars have LODs like regular buildings? I should just make it just the pillar, without the small details - pipe, wires, supports.
      Not sure when they're going to be done and available.

• By Dirktator
      You might have come across our guest article about SimCity 4 and the Network Addon Mod over on GOG.com a few days ago. Due to format restrictions, we couldn't include a full compliment of screenshots to really show off the NAM. For posterity and for the benefit of those who didn't see it, we're including the full article here with all the screenshots that were intended in the original. - Dirktator

SimCity 4 and the NAM – How to best enjoy this city-building masterpiece today.
      Despite being released in 2003, SimCity 4 continues to offer an unmatched city-building and story-telling experience, while also being supported by an active game community. And you can be a part of it!
      Developed by the once venerated, now defunct game studio, Maxis, SimCity 4 has managed to withstand the test of time remarkably well, unlike many of its contemporaries.

Turning a “good old game” into something great!
      Not only has SimCity 4 survived, it has thrived with new creations offered daily by content-makers, and has even evolved with substantial player-developed modifications like the Network Addon Mod.
      Perhaps you’ve heard of the Network Addon Mod, but you’ve never tried it out. Or maybe you’ve never played SimCity 4 at all and wonder how a game from 2003 can still hold up? Read on to see just how one addon can add so much!

Fixes original bugs, but it’s more than just fixes!
      The Network Addon Mod (NAM) is actually a collection of many addons, fixes and improvements to SimCity 4’s transportation network system, pathfinding accuracy and performance; all made to work and play seamlessly together for a vastly improved simulator experience.
      Originally, the Network Addon Mod (NAM) had a very simple goal: to fix a number of transportation-related issues that still remained in the game after the release of the Rush Hour Expansion and SimCity 4 Deluxe in September 2003.
      But as development of the mod went on, many contributors began adding new features to the transportation system.  In some cases, to expand what already existed, and in others, to create entirely new systems altogether. 
      Since 2004, work has spiraled out such that there are several expansion packs’ worth of new content, all contained in this single, free, player-created mod! 
      The NAM brings new possibilities to the game that are simply impossible to do with the “vanilla” game.

Unlock the Maxis simulator – Run it the way it was originally designed
      When you install the NAM, not only will you get all the fixes and tweaks that have been refined over years of playtesting and feedback, but you’ll also be playing the simulator as it was originally designed! 
      The thing is, Maxis had programmed a very sophisticated and robust traffic simulation engine that most people have never experienced! 
      This is because of the hardware limitations at the time, Maxis had to significantly tune down the simulation parameters in order to allow the game to run on 500Mhz Pentiums, prevalent specs for that era.
      The result of that down-tuning is that the traffic patterns in the base game often simply follow the shortest distance, and fail to take into account the speed and capacity differences of the different networks. Basically, this prevented the game from working the way it was intended.
      For instance, with that down-tuned simulator, one could spend the money to build the faster, higher-capacity road-types, or a rail transit system, but the residents would completely ignore it and instead clog up tiny residential streets as they tried to get to work. If you’ve played the vanilla SimCity 4 for long enough, you will have likely seen this happen.
      Fixing this key part of the simulator allows the NAM and its numerous new and improved systems, to provide a rich and engaging simulating experience that you’ll never get with the vanilla SimCity 4.

Several Expansion Packs’ worth of content – all in one place, for free!
      But more than just fixes and improvements, the NAM brings several new transport options unavailable in “vanilla” SimCity 4 such as a slew of enhancements to the road system, including diagonal streets, more bridge options, specialized lanes and roundabouts.
      You’ll get elevated viaducts for a number of normally ground-level transportation networks, such as Roads, One-Way Roads, Avenues, and Railroads.
      Industrial/office park district, with RealHighways, Network Widening Mod features, and One-Way Road Roundabouts on display.

Avenue Roundabout and Wide-Radius Curves near an office park.

Prefer things on the ground instead? Use the Ground Light Rail (GLR), a ground variant of the Elevated (Light) Rail network, which comes in draggable form.
      Or maybe you want a mix of ground and elevated that can run in, on or over other surfaces? You can do that, too, with the NAM’s “Dual Networking” options.
      Fractional Angle RealRailway and Network Widening Mod (Narrow 4-Lane Road) in action.

Fractional Angle Roads and Diagonal Streets in a suburban residential setting.

It includes the Network Widening Mod (NWM) which provides wider (and narrower) draggable variants (many with capacity boosts) to the game’s core Road and One-Way Road networks.
      More road options to play with like expanded Avenues with 6 lanes, or expand One-Way Roads up to 5 lanes. Get even finer control by adding continuous turn lanes, or adding a turn lane to your One-Way Roads.
      Lakeside business/resort district, with 4-Lane One-Way Roads and Narrow 4-Lane Road from the Network Widening Mod.

6-lane Avenue from the Network Widening Mod in a suburban setting.

New FLEX Turn Lanes and Signalized One-Way Road Intersections in a business district.

Tired of grid-like cities? The NAM offers myriad grid-busting options, including wider radius curves and fractional angles to many different networks types. If you love roundabouts these are improved with many enhancements, from smaller Street Roundabouts to multi-lane Avenue and Dutch Turbo Roundabouts.
      One-Way Road Roundabouts, Ground Light Rail, and Ground Light Rail-in Road Dual-Networking in an office district.

Suburban residential area, with Wide-Radius Curves and Fractional Angle Networking.

Farms and factories, featuring RealRailways, Elevated Road Viaducts, and Road Wide-Radius Curves.

The entire railway system has been overhauled with multiple height levels and modular interchange capabilities.
      Everyone loves building highways. Here, the NAM doesn’t disappoint by offering an entirely new Highway System with several width variants, up to 5 lanes per direction, multiple height levels and modular interchange capabilities.
      If you love interchanges, the NAM’s intersection capabilities let you design that monster 8-way Avenue intersection you really wanted.
      Mammoth arterial intersection, featuring the upcoming FLEX Turn Lanes and Network Widening Mod (7-Lane Turning Lane Avenue).

Partial cloverleaf interchange, built using the RealHighway (RHW) system and One-Way Road Roundabouts, plus Road Wide-Radius Curves.

Busy suburban junction, built using the RealHighway (RHW) system, Network Widening Mod (5-lane Turning Lane Avenue), Street Wide-Radius Curves, and turn lane functionality.

If you still wish to use the game’s base “Maxis” Highways, a number of interchange options, plus a full-on reskin are available. 
      The NAM also includes Euro/international road and highway textures. And the Street Addon Mod (SAM) will provide 10 (soon to be 11) texture variants for the base Street network!
      Railways get a complete overhaul with the RealRailway (RRW) system, which offers a more realistic version of the game’s base Rail network, plus a number of new options for switches, curve radii and fractional angles, plus – coming in Version 36 – draggable viaducts.
      RealRailway FlexTrack and Single-Track Rail in a dirty industrial area.

New FLEX Turn Lanes (coming to the upcoming Version 36 release) and Signalized One-Way Road Intersections.

Four-level stack interchange, built using the RealHighway (RHW) system's modular components.

Bustling office district, with Ground Light Rail-on-Road Dual Networking, Network Widening Mod (5-Lane Turning Lane Avenue), and Street Addon Mod Parking Lots on display.

If you’re a glutton for even more control, you’ll love the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TSCT), a handy program that allows one to customize some parameters of the NAM's “tuned-up” traffic simulator, including different capacity levels (ranging from extremely low to ultra high) and mass transit usage
      SimCity 4 is arguably the best city-simulation game ever produced by Maxis. Nearly 15 years old, the game has proven its longevity in large part due to a legion of highly devoted fans and communities like Simtropolis.com.
      The Network Addon Mod brings so much to your city-building game that it’s a crime to play without it!

What you need to get started 
      You'll need SimCity 4 Deluxe with Rush Hour Expansion, get it here from GOG.COM
      The NAM is available for both PC and MAC versions of the game, get them from Simtropolis.

If you want even more, we've collected some of the best buildings and lots for SimCity 4 in our Simtropolis Exchange (STEX) Collector's Edition discs, given as a gift when you Donate!
    • By Brooklyn81
      I have been a SimCity nut since the original came out when most of you weren't even born yet (yes, I'm old, not elderly, but when I was a wee lad MTV played nothing but music videos - except for the game show 'Remote Control' which was awesome - and KFC was called 'Kentucky Fried Chicken', not to mention the USSR existing, ok I'm going off on a tangent, shut up self ). I got SimCity 4 (Deluxe Edition) the day it was released and have spent a good amount of time playing. In all these years of owning SC4 I still have not, for the life of me, figured out how to position a beach properly enough to get the dang thing to plop. I've tried rearranging the terrain levels, I've used the 'home' key to flip it all possible directions, and nada. Bupkis.
      What else can I possibly do, short of some magic wizardry, to finally break this curse of mine for many years? As those of you who are familiar with me/my posts, don't get too technical with me, computers and I are long-time frienemies. Whatever you say, dumb it down. Then dumb that down one more time. That should do it. You guys are the best. Love, peace, and chicken grease homies.