beebs

guide
For the Eager, Yet Overwhelmed Newcomer

177 posts in this topic

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Edited by LuapYllier
3 people like this

Yes this was much needed. Thank you :yes:

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Whoop.. did I miss a few? I'll do a check through this afternoon.

Glad you guys like it :) If there's anything you feel I've missed going over, let me know and I can add a section on it.

I believe all that were meant to be links have been repaired. Please post if something else isn't appearing. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Done... Thanks.

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

ditto. thanks.

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

If you are going to BAT, run the "BAT Essentials" tutorial from the Omnibus. Every paragraph has some new, important point.

Glad you guys like it.

Context please. Like what?

Hi

When clicking on Simcity link to get patches the page just comes up with an error. It makes me think that the page does not now exist.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Welcome to the great conversation.

You will find this is a very useful thread. It was constructed initially to help a member who was "all at sea". Have fun.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

A Remarkable Guide and Introduction; Thank You, A Nonny Moose.

I have acquired my SC4 + Rush Hour from Steam. What can I, and can I not, do with it...apart from uninstalling it and getting a pack from Amazon or similar?

My Regards

Well, if you find the SimCity 4.exe and check, you should find that you have build level 1,1,641 which is fully patched, diskless and ready to go. If you want to run without Steam's nonsense, make a new shortcut to the .exe, put it on your desktop and everything you see here about command line options applies. You don't have to log on to Steam unless you feel they deserve to snoop around in your system.

Heres a tip for all newcomers:, when you start a new reigon, don't pick a random tile anywhere on the region, start at one corner with a small village on a 1 x 1 tile, then slowly expand outwards from it, i've tried this as an experiment and it's worked well; I've done 11 villages( o n 1 x 1 tiles) and 3 towns (on 2 x 2 tiles) and so far have almost 200k sims just in one small corner of the region!( i used a unmodified plains region for this.)

What i've done as i'm going along is to build up road and avenue infrastructure in a grid pattern linking the tiles together, this helps the sims move about more freely.

What i've done is to play each village and town up to 20 game years before moving on to the next so far the results have been quite satisfying

why not try it, yourself.

This is a pretty good strategy. The only modification I would make is that make sure the tile is in the black. Not hard to do, and I find this more satisfying than not.

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

Edited by Nielsen

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

It was kind of there, but made it clearer. Thanks.

I cannot thank you enough. As a returning player from the days when this game was brand new, I am astonished to see what the custom community has done and I felt extremely lost when I started to look around. Great walk-through to get up to speed and resources to start digging around for, at the very least, the most commonly used mods. I now feel less and less like I'm missing out on something big as, thanks to this thread and this community, it's all put out front.

Edited by thowwoht

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

It is multi-part. You should just go on to the next piece.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By anupamnath
      How can i create automata using downloaded props and models? For example I want to create freight train automata featuring trains carrying long chains of containers which I downloaded as props.
    • By anupamnath
      Please suggest me good props pack for railway freight cars (i.e. rail container ,tank, flat car & others), passenger cars, engines, guard's cab car. Also please suggest good props for freight trucks containing containers,tank, flat bed & other types of freight carriages.
    • By ST Challenges
      Results Announced Here!
      Lotting Challenge
      Create any Lot to be used in SimCity 4
      Season 3 - Challenge #03 - Custom Content (31 days)
      Thanks to @kingofsimcity for the challenge idea.
      Selecting props and textures, and positioning them in a methodical and organised way. Lotting is an art. An art sometimes overshadowed by the many wonders in the BATting world. But in SC4, lotting plays an integral part to any great item of content. It is a skill which is tricky to master, but when done right, adds so much aesthetic value. A Lot allows an idea to be transformed and presented in a new form of content. There have been so many examples of lotting over the past 13 years, but now it's your turn...

Welcome to the first ever Simtropolis Custom Content Challenge!
      This challenge is all about creativity. We'd like you to develop any single Lot which can be used in the game. It can be any type, shape or size, and have an unlimited selection of dependencies. Although for obvious reasons, we suggest to keep this reasonable.
      Of course, the obvious tool of choice would be the Lot Editor by Maxis. However, an alternative would be to use the PIM-X, which includes its own advanced editor for creating lots. This can be downloaded from the LEX, and there's also a user guide linked in the description. The choice is yours, and it's really what you feel most comfortable with.
      In terms of the lotting, the rules are completely open. Use any means or technique to create anything to your heart's desire. We only ask that the Lot functions in game, such as a ploppable or growable. A screenshot must be taken showing the Lot built in the game.

Specifications
      The Lot can be of any size, type, style or use any technique. Dependencies (buildings, textures, props) are not a requirement, but are highly recommended to give added detail. Any number of dependencies can be used, which are available to download from a public exchange (e.g. STEX, LEX).  
      This  Custom Content  challenge will run for 31 days.

Requirements
      To qualify for entry, please ensure your entry complies with the following requirements:

This challenge is only open to SimCity 4 Deluxe / Rush Hour.
        The Lot must be an original piece of content (created by yourself), and not previously released on the STEX or other public exchange.
        Only a single, standalone Lot is submitted.
        The Lot is created using the Lot Editor or SC4 PIM (X-Tool).
        The Lot functions in game (i.e. it works!)  
      New Leaderboard System 
      As mentioned in the announcement topic, this season will be using a brand new leaderboard system.
      Each challenge will award points to all participants, based on your placing. The higher the position you come, the more points you'll receive. It also gives an extra incentive to take part, even if you don't reach the podium. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be awarded based on your overall standing.
      Full details and the current standings can be viewed in the following topic:

Voting
      Voting will start on the 1st of August, an announcement will be made when that is available.
      Like with the city-building challenges, votes will be cast by rating images inside the album. You may rate any image you wish at any rating you wish. Try to rate as many as you can as this will help the album ordering.
      The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 12 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Custom Content  challenge, rep prizes will be distributed slightly differently. This time the top 5 placed entries will earn reputation, along with points for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards. As this is a longer challenge, the amount of rep and points will be greater.
      After the challenge has concluded and the winners announced, all submissions will be made available for the community to enjoy.

Let us know if you've any questions, or would like anything going over. For example, installing or using the Lot Editor.
      This thread can also be used as a way to showcase the development of your creations.
      Good luck everyone, it'll be really interesting to see what you come up with!

• By ST Challenges
      Results Announced Here!
      Lotting Challenge
      Create any Lot to be used in SimCity 4
      Season 3 - Challenge #03 - Custom Content (31 days)
      Thanks to @kingofsimcity for the challenge idea.
      Selecting props and textures, and positioning them in a methodical and organised way. Lotting is an art. An art sometimes overshadowed by the many wonders in the BATting world. But in SC4, lotting plays an integral part to any great item of content. It is a skill which is tricky to master, but when done right, adds so much aesthetic value. A Lot allows an idea to be transformed and presented in a new form of content. There have been so many examples of lotting over the past 13 years, but now it's your turn...

Welcome to the first ever Simtropolis Custom Content Challenge!
      This challenge is all about creativity. We'd like you to develop any single Lot which can be used in the game. It can be any type, shape or size, and have an unlimited selection of dependencies. Although for obvious reasons, we suggest to keep this reasonable.
      Of course, the obvious tool of choice would be the Lot Editor by Maxis. However, an alternative would be to use the PIM-X, which includes its own advanced editor for creating lots. This can be downloaded from the LEX, and there's also a user guide linked in the description. The choice is yours, and it's really what you feel most comfortable with.
      In terms of the lotting, the rules are completely open. Use any means or technique to create anything to your heart's desire. We only ask that the Lot functions in game, such as a ploppable or growable. A screenshot must be taken showing the Lot built in the game.

Specifications
      The Lot can be of any size, type, style or use any technique. Dependencies (buildings, textures, props) are not a requirement, but are highly recommended to give added detail. Any number of dependencies can be used, which are available to download from a public exchange (e.g. STEX, LEX).  
      This  Custom Content  challenge will run for 31 days.

Requirements
      To qualify for entry, please ensure your entry complies with the following requirements:

This challenge is only open to SimCity 4 Deluxe / Rush Hour.
        The Lot must be an original piece of content (created by yourself), and not previously released on the STEX or other public exchange.
        Only a single, standalone Lot is submitted.
        The Lot is created using the Lot Editor or SC4 PIM (X-Tool).
        The Lot functions in game (i.e. it works!)  
      New Leaderboard System 
      As mentioned in the announcement topic, this season will be using a brand new leaderboard system.
      Each challenge will award points to all participants, based on your placing. The higher the position you come, the more points you'll receive. It also gives an extra incentive to take part, even if you don't reach the podium. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be awarded based on your overall standing.

Voting
      Voting will start on the 1st of August, an announcement will be made when that is available.
      Like with the city-building challenges, votes will be cast by rating images inside the album. You may rate any image you wish at any rating you wish. Try to rate as many as you can as this will help the album ordering.
      The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 12 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Custom Content  challenge, rep prizes will be distributed slightly differently. This time the top 5 placed entries will earn reputation, along with points for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards. As this is a longer challenge, the amount of rep and points will be greater.
      After the challenge has concluded and the winners announced, all submissions will be made available for the community to enjoy.

Let us know if you've any questions, or would like anything going over. For example, installing or using the Lot Editor.
      This thread can also be used as a way to showcase the development of your creations.
      Good luck everyone, it'll be really interesting to see what you come up with!

• By ST Challenges
      Results Announced Here!
      Bridge Bonanza
      Build bridges, and lots of them!
      Season 3 - Challenge #07 - Weekly (7 days)
      Thanks to @philforhockey51 for the challenge idea.

From the beginning of time, people have looked at the river and tried to cross it. Many failed, until the invention of the Bridge. Through time some of these humble bridges have evolved to be behemoths of the city scape, or have been left alone to be forgotten in the wilderness. Let's celebrate the increased mobility that this infrastructural wonder has given us!
      The world has become a Bridge Bonanza, so lets explore how bridges have given your citizens an unprecedented amount of freedom! From suspension to stone, for this challenge we're looking for your best bridges. The more the merrier, why stop at one, why not ten?
      As usual, there are numerous ways to go about this. It could be a feature bridge leading into your city, a small bridge in the woods, a pedestrian bridge over a large highway, or something more obscure. It doesn't necessarily have to cross over water. You could even give a brief background in the description, explaining the history behind the bridge or bridges. Use your imagination. Again the choice is yours what image you submit and how you choose to present it.
      See the Possible Ideas section below for a few examples.

This is a  Weekly  challenge running for 7 days.

Submission Requirements
      Your image must feature one or more bridges.
        You may use any city-building game -- including SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, SimCity (2013), and CitiesXL / XXL.
        Please submit only one image for this challenge.
      However, you may link a larger version of the same image in the description, or post in the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.
        For the purpose of voting, please check your image has a full title & description.
        To qualify for entry, please ensure your image is uploaded to the submissions category, and complies with these requirements.  
      Possible Ideas
      Here are a few ideas to get you started, just giving examples of ways to go about this challenge:
      Note: The following is not a complete list, or a requirement:
      Example bridge types A landmark bridge through, into or over your city A road or rail bridge A bridge over another transport network, or urban area A small rural bridge A bridge in the mountains An old, broken and forgotten bridge A large or small pedestrian bridge A single rail bridge over farmland Bridges through trees Bungee jumping bridge A bridge over a bridge while you bridge... (You can combine multiple types of bridges in your image, and not just limited to this list)

Leaderboard Rankings  
      A new leaderboard system is currently running for this season. This has been designed to incorporate all challenges, linking with each set of results.
      Each place in a challenge has points on offer -- the higher you finish, the more points you gain. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be given out to the top 10 in the final standings, with the winner being crowned the Grand Champion! 
      This  Weekly  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Weekly  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 3 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Good luck to all contestants!