• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
beebs

guide
For the Eager, Yet Overwhelmed Newcomer

177 posts in this topic

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Edited by LuapYllier
3 people like this

Yes this was much needed. Thank you :yes:

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Whoop.. did I miss a few? I'll do a check through this afternoon.

Glad you guys like it :) If there's anything you feel I've missed going over, let me know and I can add a section on it.

I believe all that were meant to be links have been repaired. Please post if something else isn't appearing. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Done... Thanks.

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

ditto. thanks.

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

If you are going to BAT, run the "BAT Essentials" tutorial from the Omnibus. Every paragraph has some new, important point.

Glad you guys like it.

Context please. Like what?

Hi

When clicking on Simcity link to get patches the page just comes up with an error. It makes me think that the page does not now exist.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Welcome to the great conversation.

You will find this is a very useful thread. It was constructed initially to help a member who was "all at sea". Have fun.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

A Remarkable Guide and Introduction; Thank You, A Nonny Moose.

I have acquired my SC4 + Rush Hour from Steam. What can I, and can I not, do with it...apart from uninstalling it and getting a pack from Amazon or similar?

My Regards

Well, if you find the SimCity 4.exe and check, you should find that you have build level 1,1,641 which is fully patched, diskless and ready to go. If you want to run without Steam's nonsense, make a new shortcut to the .exe, put it on your desktop and everything you see here about command line options applies. You don't have to log on to Steam unless you feel they deserve to snoop around in your system.

Heres a tip for all newcomers:, when you start a new reigon, don't pick a random tile anywhere on the region, start at one corner with a small village on a 1 x 1 tile, then slowly expand outwards from it, i've tried this as an experiment and it's worked well; I've done 11 villages( o n 1 x 1 tiles) and 3 towns (on 2 x 2 tiles) and so far have almost 200k sims just in one small corner of the region!( i used a unmodified plains region for this.)

What i've done as i'm going along is to build up road and avenue infrastructure in a grid pattern linking the tiles together, this helps the sims move about more freely.

What i've done is to play each village and town up to 20 game years before moving on to the next so far the results have been quite satisfying

why not try it, yourself.

This is a pretty good strategy. The only modification I would make is that make sure the tile is in the black. Not hard to do, and I find this more satisfying than not.

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

Edited by Nielsen

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

It was kind of there, but made it clearer. Thanks.

I cannot thank you enough. As a returning player from the days when this game was brand new, I am astonished to see what the custom community has done and I felt extremely lost when I started to look around. Great walk-through to get up to speed and resources to start digging around for, at the very least, the most commonly used mods. I now feel less and less like I'm missing out on something big as, thanks to this thread and this community, it's all put out front.

Edited by thowwoht

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

It is multi-part. You should just go on to the next piece.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Mr_Maison
      Hello everyone. This will be my custom content showcase and workshop thread. In all the years I been a member here, I never uploaded any content but enjoying great work by other members. I take this opportunity to say Thank You to all content makers for making our city building experience so enjoyable. I feel that making content is overdue for me and I want to give back to the community. I have some buildings and trees that I will be showing in upcoming updates to this thread. I will also be asking for advice and help.
      3/28/2017 Release: Bushy Grass  Steam Link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893640591

More info on last pages of this thread.

Note: This post was edited 5/29/2015 to reserve this first post for all current updates.

• By Hamish

The Nominations are now OPEN!

The greatest time of year has arrived, the Trixies are upon us and the nominations have officially opened. The Trixies are a celebration of all types of community contributions, ranging from STEX uploads to CJs, all the way to forum posts. It's the perfect opportunity to celebrate all the amazing content shared over the past two years, and give a special 'thanks' to your fellow members.
      We last held the Trixies for the year 2014, so understandably, we have a lot to catch up on. This year things are little different. We won't be holding just one ceremony, but two at the same time: One each for 2015 and 2016. Since we last held the Trixies Simtropolis has been through a lot of change, which unfortunately means we’ve had to change the way were conducting the nominations this year. However, we think these changes will make it easier for you guys to nominate members, and continue to nominate throughout the nominations period.
      The biggest difference is that you will be posting your nominations on the forums. Don’t worry though, no one apart from the admins will be able to see your nominations, just like it was before! Let’s go through how this is all going to work.

Nominations Close on April 3rd

How To Nominate
      As we’ve mentioned before, nominating members for awards will be a little different this year. Read the guides below to know how you are going to be nominating members for awards this year, and take note of some slight rule changes which will allow you to nominate members for multiple awards.

Where To Nominate
      This year, all your nominations will be submitted as posts in the forum linked below.
      Submit Trixie Nominations Here!
      This forum behaves differently from every other forum on Simtropolis. No one else can see any of the posts or topics you create within it. In lieu of our traditional nominations system, which is now incompatible with ST, this will be where all of your nominations are submitted this year. This comes with some great benefits though! You’ll be able to see all of your nominations at all times, so you can remember what you have nominated and who you have nominated, and you’ll be able to edit these at any time just in case you nominated someone for the wrong award.
      It may feel a bit weird at first, but trust us that only admins will see your nominations. 

Submitting and Formatting your Nominations
      Since everything has changed, how will you be submitting nominations? Its easy, just follow our guide below!

1. Firstly, take a look through the List of Trixie Awards for 2015 - 2016.

2. You’ll first find an award which you want to nominate someone for and copy its award title.

3. From there navigate to the Submit Trixie Nominations Here! forum and create a new topic.

4. Paste the award title into the topic title box, and add a couple of tags:
      The name of the member you are nominating. The year you are nominating them for.
      5. Then in your post, please include the following information:
      The Title of the award. Who you are nominating. The Year you are nominating this award for. A short Description as to why you think they deserve this award.
      To help ensure you include these details, feel free to copy and paste the following template into your posts to match the guidelines:

Don’t forget to add this info for each of your nominations, or else they may not be counted.
      I’ll repeat these briefly below:
      Topic Title: The Award Title. Tags: Nominated member, and Year.
        Post Text: Award Title, Member Name, Year, Short Description.
      To submit another nomination, simply start another topic.

Ceremonies for both 2015 and 2016
      We last held the Trixies for the year 2014, and due to issues we weren’t able to open up the nominations last year for 2015’s content. During these nominations we invite you to nominate content from 2015 as well as 2016. In the end, we aren't just holding one ceremony, but two at the same time: One each for 2015 and 2016.
      During the run up to the nominations opening we’ve had a series of discussions, interviews, and retrospectives aiming to highlight content from 2015 and 2016 in the hopes that you won’t forget what has been created during those years.
      This is why it is important for you to distinguish what year you are nominating a member for.

Rule Changes
      This year we are making a slight change to how many times you can nominate a member. Traditionally you could only nominate any given member for one award. But this time, this rule is being expanded. It used to be that someone would only create amazing buildings, or only write beautiful CJs. However, now we have members who cover lots of different parts of the site, for the previous Trixies it was increasingly difficult to nominate them for just one award.
      This time we are making the change to allow you to nominate a member for up to 3 different awards in both 2015 and 2016. We hope that you submit multiple nominations for a single member to awards in different sections of the Trixies, but we aren't making that a specific rule as there are awards in sections which relate to very different skill sets. Use this new ability wisely...

Cities: Skylines in the Trixies
      Over the past two years we’ve seen the release of a new game which has swept Simtropolis, Cities: Skylines. In the past we’ve never had another city building game which made as much impact on our community as SimCity 4 originally did, so this is the first time the Trixies have had to accommodate another game. You’ll notice that most of the descriptions for awards no longer call out any specific game, that is because all of these awards are intended to be relatable to both games.
      When nominating, remember the great content created for both games these previous two years, rather than the content from a single game.

Quick FAQ
      Multiple or single threads for nominations?
      Posting each nomination in its own thread is preferred, as this helps with the processing.
      Really though, it's up to you. If posting in a single thread is easier for you to manage or edit, that's perfectly fine. At the end of nominations, the Llama Crew will attempt to count anything inside the forum.
        For both years, how many nominations per user?
      In each year, you may nominate any individual member up to 3 times.
      So this means for both 2015 & 2016 combined, you could nominate someone up to 6 times.
        Who can I nominate?
      Any Simtropolis user (member or staff) can be nominated for any award. The processing will determine whether a given user is eligible.
        How many custom "Ad Hoc" awards may I nominate?
      As many as you'd like!
      Feel free to be creative with the title & description if a default award isn't suitable for what you have in mind.
        Is there a limit to how many nominations I can submit?
      Yes, the sky.
      Final Words
      We hope you have a great Trixies...
      And remember, Nominate early and Nominate Often! 

• By MarkShot
      I have played war/strategy games for years.  Games were often said to be:
      "grog" - from the French "grognard" (Napoleon's old grumblers; the real soldiers) ... for games meaning serious stuff
      "beer and pretzels" - meaning combat comics for those of limited intellectual capacity
      So, I have seen it thrown around from time to time that CS is a "city painter"; meant as insult in the sense that it is deficient.
      Being relatively new to this genre ... what other good city builder insults are part of this hobby?
      Thanks!
    • By Ronyx69
      So I was recently looking at some Japan driving videos and got inspired to make some highway pillars.
      I'm planning to make an entire set of various types of pillars in this style, even a 6cell over-canal pillar. (if it goes okay)
      Tell me what you think about my first attempt, I need to nail the style and the details before I start making other variations.
      Constructive criticism welcome, also any ideas.
      By the way, do pillars have LODs like regular buildings? I should just make it just the pillar, without the small details - pipe, wires, supports.
      Not sure when they're going to be done and available.