For the Eager, Yet Overwhelmed Newcomer

177 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Edited by LuapYllier
Ro-Bo, jacksunny and by_myslf_oscar like this

Posted

Yes this was much needed. Thank you :yes:

Posted

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Whoop.. did I miss a few? I'll do a check through this afternoon.

Glad you guys like it :) If there's anything you feel I've missed going over, let me know and I can add a section on it.

Posted

I believe all that were meant to be links have been repaired. Please post if something else isn't appearing. Thanks.

Posted

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Posted

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Done... Thanks.

Posted

Great post Beebs ! certainly a great help for newcomers like myself.

Posted

wow you did a good job making to help newbies :thumb:

Posted

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

Posted

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

ditto. thanks.

Posted

This looks nice. I think I'm going to follow this... :D

Posted

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

Posted

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

If you are going to BAT, run the "BAT Essentials" tutorial from the Omnibus. Every paragraph has some new, important point.

Posted

Glad you guys like itg.gif.

Posted

Glad you guys like it.

Context please. Like what?

Posted

Yes this was much needed.

Posted

Hi

When clicking on Simcity link to get patches the page just comes up with an error. It makes me think that the page does not now exist.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Posted

Go to http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php scroll down to the EA Support link and click it. Accept the agreement and follow the links.

Posted

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Posted (edited)

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Welcome to the great conversation.

You will find this is a very useful thread. It was constructed initially to help a member who was "all at sea". Have fun.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

Posted

A Remarkable Guide and Introduction; Thank You, A Nonny Moose.

I have acquired my SC4 + Rush Hour from Steam. What can I, and can I not, do with it...apart from uninstalling it and getting a pack from Amazon or similar?

My Regards

Posted

Well, if you find the SimCity 4.exe and check, you should find that you have build level 1,1,641 which is fully patched, diskless and ready to go. If you want to run without Steam's nonsense, make a new shortcut to the .exe, put it on your desktop and everything you see here about command line options applies. You don't have to log on to Steam unless you feel they deserve to snoop around in your system.

Posted

Heres a tip for all newcomers:, when you start a new reigon, don't pick a random tile anywhere on the region, start at one corner with a small village on a 1 x 1 tile, then slowly expand outwards from it, i've tried this as an experiment and it's worked well; I've done 11 villages( o n 1 x 1 tiles) and 3 towns (on 2 x 2 tiles) and so far have almost 200k sims just in one small corner of the region!( i used a unmodified plains region for this.)

What i've done as i'm going along is to build up road and avenue infrastructure in a grid pattern linking the tiles together, this helps the sims move about more freely.

What i've done is to play each village and town up to 20 game years before moving on to the next so far the results have been quite satisfying

why not try it, yourself.

Posted

This is a pretty good strategy. The only modification I would make is that make sure the tile is in the black. Not hard to do, and I find this more satisfying than not.

Posted (edited)

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

Edited by Nielsen

Posted

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

It was kind of there, but made it clearer. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I cannot thank you enough. As a returning player from the days when this game was brand new, I am astonished to see what the custom community has done and I felt extremely lost when I started to look around. Great walk-through to get up to speed and resources to start digging around for, at the very least, the most commonly used mods. I now feel less and less like I'm missing out on something big as, thanks to this thread and this community, it's all put out front.

Edited by thowwoht

Posted

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

Posted

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

It is multi-part. You should just go on to the next piece.