• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

URGENT: Please help us cover February expenses!   02/21/2017

Looking for your help! We have a real and urgent need for your donations for this month as of this writing we're almost half way to our monthly target!  Please help us with any donation you can make! Lately, we've been feeling a big pinch with a slump in donations, and we're hoping to drive that up so we can continue to keep the site running. In return for your donation, we're offering several STEX Collection Discs which you can learn more about here, if you wish to receive one. We would really appreciate your support by way of a donation of any amount in order to keep the site up and running. Of course, as always, we'll send you a gift with a minimum donation as a Thank You. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me!  Donate Any Amount Here To Receive a STEX Disc(s) Donate a Specific Amount Here Sincerely; Dirktator & The Admins PS. Thank you to those who have stepped up and donated -- we really appreciate it!
beebs

guide
For the Eager, Yet Overwhelmed Newcomer

177 posts in this topic

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Edited by LuapYllier
3 people like this

Yes this was much needed. Thank you :yes:

This is exactly what was needed. Would have reduced many of my initial questions a few weeks ago. Great Job.

Some of the threads you lead to through the text are not in linky form though, intentional?

Whoop.. did I miss a few? I'll do a check through this afternoon.

Glad you guys like it :) If there's anything you feel I've missed going over, let me know and I can add a section on it.

I believe all that were meant to be links have been repaired. Please post if something else isn't appearing. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

The link to the updates at SC4D is broken, can you please fix it. Thanks.

Done... Thanks.

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

Getting back into the game after a long time of other commitments, this was exactly what I need, thanks!

ditto. thanks.

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

I've been playing Sim City 4 for a few months now, so glad I've stumbled across this! I have the various editors on download and can't wait to get exploring.

Thanks for this guide, very, very helpful :D

If you are going to BAT, run the "BAT Essentials" tutorial from the Omnibus. Every paragraph has some new, important point.

Glad you guys like it.

Context please. Like what?

Hi

When clicking on Simcity link to get patches the page just comes up with an error. It makes me think that the page does not now exist.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

I feel like I need to take a class for all this. I'll get it sooner or later. I see all the pics of all your cities and I want mine to look like that. Now!!

This is a great site.

Welcome to the great conversation.

You will find this is a very useful thread. It was constructed initially to help a member who was "all at sea". Have fun.

Edited by A Nonny Moose

A Remarkable Guide and Introduction; Thank You, A Nonny Moose.

I have acquired my SC4 + Rush Hour from Steam. What can I, and can I not, do with it...apart from uninstalling it and getting a pack from Amazon or similar?

My Regards

Well, if you find the SimCity 4.exe and check, you should find that you have build level 1,1,641 which is fully patched, diskless and ready to go. If you want to run without Steam's nonsense, make a new shortcut to the .exe, put it on your desktop and everything you see here about command line options applies. You don't have to log on to Steam unless you feel they deserve to snoop around in your system.

Heres a tip for all newcomers:, when you start a new reigon, don't pick a random tile anywhere on the region, start at one corner with a small village on a 1 x 1 tile, then slowly expand outwards from it, i've tried this as an experiment and it's worked well; I've done 11 villages( o n 1 x 1 tiles) and 3 towns (on 2 x 2 tiles) and so far have almost 200k sims just in one small corner of the region!( i used a unmodified plains region for this.)

What i've done as i'm going along is to build up road and avenue infrastructure in a grid pattern linking the tiles together, this helps the sims move about more freely.

What i've done is to play each village and town up to 20 game years before moving on to the next so far the results have been quite satisfying

why not try it, yourself.

This is a pretty good strategy. The only modification I would make is that make sure the tile is in the black. Not hard to do, and I find this more satisfying than not.

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

Edited by Nielsen

Great thread, much appreciated. I think it would be appropritate to include in the OP that the version number for the pre-patched purchasable download is 1.1.641.0 and not 1.1.640.0 :)

It was kind of there, but made it clearer. Thanks.

I cannot thank you enough. As a returning player from the days when this game was brand new, I am astonished to see what the custom community has done and I felt extremely lost when I started to look around. Great walk-through to get up to speed and resources to start digging around for, at the very least, the most commonly used mods. I now feel less and less like I'm missing out on something big as, thanks to this thread and this community, it's all put out front.

Edited by thowwoht

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

May I just say the the BAT Tutorial in the Omnibus cuts off early? I don't know what to do next. :???:

It is multi-part. You should just go on to the next piece.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Cyclone Boom

Our friends at GOG.com had a special City-Builder discount sale!  (Closed as of February 13, 2PM GMT) 

As part of this, Simtropolis has been given a bunch of free keys to selected games to give away!
      Winners announced here!

If you want one of these games, simply reply to this thread by answering ONE of the questions below:
      What's your favourite city-building game, and why will you always be fond of it? Write a creative and entertaining review (good or bad) of any city-building game. The ways in which custom content has transformed the city-building game you play. Tell us about your most memorable city-building experience, funny, tragic or otherwise.
      There is no minimum or maximum, but aim to write at least 50 words.

FAQ

Q: How are prize winners selected?
      A: The Admins will pick their favourite replies below, so don't delay, post away!
      Q: How many times can I reply?
      A: Just one reply per person please.
      Q: Can I add images or video to my post?
      A: Sure! Feel free to be creative to make your post stand out.
      Q: Does it have to be written in a certain style?
      A: No, not at all. Just aim to make it creative and entertaining, whether fact or fiction...
      Q: How long does this run for?
      A: The closing date to enter is Monday 13th February at 23:59 (EST).

Prizes

Winners will be able to select ONE of the following City-Building classics, to add to their personal collection:

Caesar

SimCity 2000 Special Edition

Caesar II

Pharaoh + Cleopatra

SimCity 3000 Unlimited

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom

Banished

Tropico 5

Lethis - Path of Progress

Urban Empire

Whatever your experience with a City-Builder, we'd love to hear it.

• By Ronyx69
      So I was recently looking at some Japan driving videos and got inspired to make some highway pillars.
      I'm planning to make an entire set of various types of pillars in this style, even a 6cell over-canal pillar. (if it goes okay)
      Tell me what you think about my first attempt, I need to nail the style and the details before I start making other variations.
      Constructive criticism welcome, also any ideas.
      By the way, do pillars have LODs like regular buildings? I should just make it just the pillar, without the small details - pipe, wires, supports.
      Not sure when they're going to be done and available.

• By ST Challenges

City Showcase - 
      Show the best scenes from your city - 
      Season 3 - Challenge #23 - Monthly (47 days) - 
      VOTING NOW CLOSED!
      Results to be announced shortly...
      Thanks to @MushyMushy for the challenge idea.

The previous challenges have all been focused around specific themes. We've visited urban, rural and night shots, amongst waterfronts, railroads and bridges. There have been a multitude of magnificent creations from many magnanimous mayors!
      But this time, in the final Monthly challenge of the season, we're throwing the doors open, giving you freedom to present any of your finest city-building scenes.
      You may enter up to 3 images you've created from your cities, towns or villages. The image(s) can be anything you'd like, not necessarily depicting high density and skyscrapers -- it could even be a more rural or desolate location. Basically anywhere big or small where your citizens reside. As usual, you may also use custom content and/or image editing to enhance the appearance. This is all about providing an empty canvas (or 3) for you to express your unique city-building creativity.

This is a  Monthly  challenge running for a mammoth 47 days.

Submission Requirements
      The submitted image(s) must include a form of human settlement (e.g. city, town or village).
        You may use any city-building game -- including SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, SimCity (2013), and CitiesXL / XXL.
         You may submit a maximum of 3 images into the challenge album. These can be from the same or different locations.   
      a. All your entered images will be eligible for voting, however only your highest rated image will be used in the final ranking.
      So basically there are 3 opportunities to gain a place in the results, with no downside to submitting more than one.

b. In the event of images having an identical rating and votes, the earlier submitted image will be selected.

For each submission, you may link a larger version in the description, or post inside the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.

For the purpose of voting, please check a full title & description are included on your image(s).
        Your image(s) must be created solely by yourself, without any assistance from anyone else.
        To qualify for entry, please ensure your image(s) are uploaded to the submissions category, and comply with these requirements.  
      Leaderboard Rankings  
      A new leaderboard system is currently running for this season. This has been designed to incorporate all challenges, linking with each set of results.
      Each place in a challenge has points on offer -- the higher you finish, the more points you gain. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be given out to the top 10 in the final standings, with the winner being crowned the Grand Champion! 
      This  Monthly  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards.

Full details and the current standings can be viewed in the following topic:

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 10 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Monthly  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 5 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards.

Good luck everyone, let's finish Season 3 in grand style.

• By ST Challenges

City Showcase - 
      Show the best scenes from your city - 
      Season 3 - Challenge #23 - Monthly (47 days) - 
      VOTING NOW CLOSED!
      Thanks to @MushyMushy for the challenge idea.

The previous challenges have all been focused around specific themes. We've visited urban, rural and night shots, amongst waterfronts, railroads and bridges. There have been a multitude of magnificent creations from many magnanimous mayors!
      But this time, in the final Monthly challenge of the season, we're throwing the doors open, giving you freedom to present any of your finest city-building scenes.
      You may enter up to 3 images you've created from your cities, towns or villages. The image(s) can be anything you'd like, not necessarily depicting high density and skyscrapers -- it could even be a more rural or desolate location. Basically anywhere big or small where your citizens reside. As usual, you may also use custom content and/or image editing to enhance the appearance. This is all about providing an empty canvas (or 3) for you to express your unique city-building creativity.

This is a  Monthly  challenge running for a mammoth 47 days.

Submission Requirements
      The submitted image(s) must include a form of human settlement (e.g. city, town or village).
        You may use any city-building game -- including SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, SimCity (2013), and CitiesXL / XXL.
         You may submit a maximum of 3 images into the challenge album. These can be from the same or different locations.   
      a. All your entered images will be eligible for voting, however only your highest rated image will be used in the final ranking.
      So basically there are 3 opportunities to gain a place in the results, with no downside to submitting more than one.

b. In the event of images having an identical rating and votes, the earlier submitted image will be selected.

For each submission, you may link a larger version in the description, or post inside the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.

For the purpose of voting, please check a full title & description are included on your image(s).
        Your image(s) must be created solely by yourself, without any assistance from anyone else.
        To qualify for entry, please ensure your image(s) are uploaded to the submissions category, and comply with these requirements.  
      Leaderboard Rankings  
      A new leaderboard system is currently running for this season. This has been designed to incorporate all challenges, linking with each set of results.
      Each place in a challenge has points on offer -- the higher you finish, the more points you gain. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be given out to the top 10 in the final standings, with the winner being crowned the Grand Champion! 
      This  Monthly  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards.

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 10 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Monthly  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 5 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Monthly & Custom Content" leaderboards.

Good luck everyone, let's finish Season 3 in grand style.

• By ST Challenges

Animation Challenge - 
      Create an animated image from your city - 
      Season 3 - Challenge #25 - Extended (25 days) - 
      VOTING NOW CLOSED!
      Thanks to @philforhockey51 for the challenge idea.

So far, challenges have involved submitting static images from your cities. While there's been many creative and lifelike scenes, a picture is just a snapshot of a single moment in time. But when you take multiple snapshots and put them together, it adds a whole new dimension. Animation helps to reveal change, show action, and as we've seen from the many films, can build emotional appeal.
      Alongside City Showcase, the final challenge of Season 3 involves creating an animated image, presenting an urban or rural scene.
      Aim to make it concise but also interesting and memorable. It could even be something humorous. It's your choice what direction you'd like to take, and how the animation is composed. The sequence could represent action in real time, or as a sped up timelapse. It should run for around 5-20 seconds -- we're not asking for a short film here!
      There are a number of ways to create the animation. Some video capture tools allow a recording to be exported as an animated image. If using SimCity 4, you could use the 'recorder' function to capture and extract the frames. Then a software package could be used for the final composition.

See the Possible Ideas section below for a few examples.

This is an  Extended  challenge running for 25 days.

Submission Requirements
      Your image is animated (e.g. GIF), and portrays a rural or urban scene.
        Please submit only one image for this challenge.
      However, you may link a larger version of the same image in the description, or post in the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.
        For the purpose of voting, please check your image has a full title & description.
        Your image must be created solely by yourself, without any assistance from anyone else.
        To qualify for entry, please ensure your image is uploaded to the submissions category, and complies with these requirements.  
      Possible Ideas
      Here are a few ideas to get you started, just giving examples of ways to go about this challenge:
      Note: The following is not a complete list, or a requirement:
      A timelapse, showing a dramatic change in the landscape / terrain (e.g coastal erosion) Construction of buildings Urban development over time Trees growing or receding (deforestation) People or vehicles moving around A common scene (e.g city street, local community) An rare or unusual scene (e.g. riot, car chase) A recreational or sporting activity Day to night transition Fireworks display An activity in the countryside A fire spreading Fire plane extinguishing a forest fire A rescue attempt An extreme natural event  
      Leaderboard Rankings  
      This  Extended  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 6 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.
      For this  Extended  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 3 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Good luck everyone!