Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Great Civ 5 Discussion

55 posts in this topic

Posted

As a Civ 4 player, I have some pretty strong views when it comes to Civ 5, I'm sure some veteran players can guess what some of the gripes are, in general, I like the game.

But who plays Civ 5 and has never played any previous Civ games... what do you think about the game? Is it challenging? Fun? Deep? Addictive?

And Civ veterans ... what do you make of Civ 5? Do you still play it frequently?

Posted

I was pretty disappointed when I found out that my current laptop couldn't run Civ5. I'm a big fan of Civ 4... and kept up with all of the previews and reviews of 5. My new laptop will be able to run it quite well... if it ever gets here (that's another story :P). I heard that micromanagement is "dumbed down" in 5, which sounds fine to me... :ooh:

Posted

Generally, old players aren't much of a fan of it (I frequent the official forum and now and then you get threads like this). The only thing about it that I love, is that Firaxis is very very committed to fixing it. I have NEVER seen a company be so dedicated to a pay-for game before.

I never had the old Civ games, so naturally I like it. :P

Posted

I like Civ 5, it's not bad. I've never played Civ 4, but I do still hold that Civ III (complete) is my favourite. Especially with all the mods available for it, those definitely keep it great. I suppose that's part of what I don't like about Civ 5, that there aren't as many full mods for it yet. Oh well, I still love Civ III and I'm not gonna stop playing it anytime soon. :P

Posted

My only civ game is Civ4 and I'm sticking to it. Maybe if I get a more powerful machine I'll try it, but for now I'll wait a bit before every kink is sorted out.

Posted

Personnally I think CIV III will not be beaten by any of the CIV series, just like SC4. There has been so much custom items added to the game that it surpassed many generations. I am a big Civ III fan, playing it at least once a week for a couple of hours. I own Civ IV, have it installed, but very seldom play it. Something's missing in IV, I don't know what, maybe the graphics or because it is toooooo complicated and tooooo long to play....don't know....., but definitively something is missing to get me interested in it.

I don't think I will get CIV V, unless I see it first somewhere else and get excellent comebacks from people I know. Shame because the idea is one of the best.

ok now......where did I put my CIV III disc last week.........feel like playing. ;)

mrb

Posted

I’ve played the Civ games since the 90s, and i got to say i like the new game, i was a bit concerned about some parts of the game like the embark mode, but once i played it generally didn't bother me once you get used to it. I find there’s a bit more strategy involved, I just wish I had more time to play it

Posted

I've never been into the extra Civ plugins. I know it's basically made for plugins (XML and all that), but I have always liked SC4 plugins better. I don't know, I guess I have always thought that SC4 plugins seem to fit the isometric views that it has better than the 3D that Civ4 does. That's just me.

Posted

Civ 4 + EPs was a lot better than CIV 5 will ever will be. oh and the DLCs ruined too...

Posted

why do you think Civ 4 is better?

Posted

Nothing like the good ol' fashioned CivIII for me. But I like some stuff from the V, like the hexagonal tiles, those are a whole new thing over the squares, is like the 8 sides placement of SCS compared to the square grid from the previous Sim Cities, a whole revolution.

Posted

I always liked Civ 4 because it just feels complete. Lots of PC games feel incomplete. Sim City Societies feels incomplete, like it's missing something. Stronghold Crusader (this old but awesome game that every human should own) feels slightly incomplete as well. Civ 4 just feels complete, like it doesn't really lack anything. Don't take my word for it, I haven't played Civ 5 so I am in no position to judge. I just like Civ 4.

Posted (edited)

One of the things that I really enjoyed were the Hex Tiles in Civ 5. They made the boundaries of your territories look a lot more realistic which for some reason enhanced the experience for me. The only thing I miss from Civ 4 was that Leonard Nimoy wasn't doing the voice work.

Edited by LastTrueChamp

Posted (edited)

When I'm not building my cities in SC4 then I am building them in Civ4/BTS with the Legends of Revolution mod. Unlike SC4 I am destroying neighboring enemy cities, too. These two games are the best examples of what the modding community can do to extend the life of a game.

Edited by Vern

Posted

i like CIV5 from what i have played of it. im not a fan of the the whole steam requirement though.

maybe i would enjoy Civ5 an awful lot more if i could play it on my laptop for more than 10minutes (and my laptop is very, very new and powerful)................

Posted (edited)

My Computer(besides the graphics card,which still has 512 mb of vram,although its an intel card,so its not the best card,but its not the worst either.) exceeds the reccomendations with 6gbs of ram 1tb harddrive and a 64 bit 3.00GHz Intel Pentium Duo Core Processor.But wha sucks about it is that its very "picky" about getting a new graphics card.The computers Power Suppply is only 220W.But anyway,Even with all this,the game only works at optimal speed at the low/medium settings and with the fog off.i dont think a super computer could run this!

Edited by pona12

Posted

CIV V was quite disappointing in the sense it got dumbed down significatively in a few aspects, however I must admit the new hexes and one-unit-per-tile rule is quite good (although the AI is a bit dumb with it). What pains me is that so far firaxis didn't release the modding SDK tools to the community, so modding is extremely limited in a sense we can't fix its major gameplay flops yet. I guess they just want to milk as much money as possible with DLCs before giving the tools to the users.

Posted (edited)

As a person who has played Civ II, III, IV, and V, My personal favorite, I think, will always be Civ III Complete. For some reason I prefer the older graphics when it comes to games. But the other Civ Games like Civ IV and Civ V are really cool as well. When I first played Civ IV I was like, " Holy Cow, this is amazing! 6.gif " I didn't think it could get better. But when I played Civ V, my mind blew a gasket at the much improved graphics and all the new features. I think Firaxis will always have a new Civilization to amaze us.

Edited by MamaLuigi945

Posted

I was kicking names and taking a$$ in this game. It really makes you think about your strategy though. I think its the best made IMO. I wish they had multi rulers though like they did for the previous Civ. They had George Washington and I think Theodore Roosevelt. My first hard victory was a cultural one with Ghandi. If you play online and someone has the Greeks, watch out because those Hoplites are murderous.

Posted (edited)

I love Civ IV, it's one of my favorite all-time games. In fact, Civ IV was one of the main reasons I left ST for like a year with no updates to my city journal or anything. Just loaded up Civ IV and played through as many civilizations as I could. I think I came to like the Romans the most. Praetorians are just beastly. I also have Civ III Complete, but I feel Civ IV is better in just about every facet, from the interface to the gameplay. Of course, I don't have so many mods for Civ III, and everyone is entitled to their preferences, but that's just mine.

All that said, I do want to play Civ V. My only thing is, I don't want to deal with Steam (haven't heard many positive things about them) and I would rather get expansion packs instead of DLC, so I'm not sure how strong my desire to play it actually is...

Edited by NMUSpidey

Posted

I miss Leonard Nimoy, but being that Civ IV was the only other Civ I've played I think V is actually my favourite of the two. The hexagonal tiles are a fantastic addition which I enjoyed a lot as it significantly enhances the aesthetics of the game.

amal81 likes this

Posted

Civ4 is simply the most amazing and brain-taking strategy game ever. After 5 years i still could not master it. Civ4 probably made me way more intelligent. Civ5 is trash, at least for us veterans. Civ4 all the damn way!

Posted

I really wanted to like Civ V, because on paper (and mostly in pratice) most of the flagship changes from IV were great improvements that I loved - one unit per tile and actual squads of people, hex instead of squares, blah blah. But it felt shallow and charmless, which is something quite difficult to fix without entirely reworking the game.

Posted

I got the expansion, and I have been having quite a bit of fun with it. It's a bit pricey but it does add a lot. I don't like that spies are awarded instead of built/purchased, but the espionage system is still fun

Posted

I look forward to buying the espansion. I have been waiting for it to come out ever since I heard about it. I'm looking forward to having religion again the most; that was an aspect of Civ IV I liked.

Posted

The expansion definitely helped, but I'd still rather load up Civ4.

Posted

I never played any of the earlier games, but I do find Civ V very fun to play; Getting the GOTY edition made it even better. The only problem i face is that of being a sore loser. You can't help but feel annoyed when a civilization that was blown away pretty easily in history kicks your A** so hard (DAMN YOU IROQUOIS)

Posted

I have some mixed feelings about the game. At the one hand, its a little to simplistic at times, at the other hand, its just sooooo gorgeous to look at, and I really like how you cant stack up armies anymore. It does add another dimension to waging war. I also like that I can denounce other players, though I feel it sometimes happens to be a little random. I got denounced by leaders right after I met them, without having done anything to deserve it. Ah well, it did make nuking their civilization into radioactive dust feel that much more satisfying :P All in all though, I completely forget about the time once I start playing, so that is a good sign.

I havent gotten the expansion pack though, so I cant comment about that.

Still, I just as much love starting another game of Civ 4 :)