• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Extra donation boost for June/July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts!
        Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13.
        Your contribution means a lot! Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount
        Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

Chat is back...   06/22/2017

In order to conserve resources, we've disabled the global chatbar at the bottom of the site. Instead, the Chat can be accessed by clicking the top navigation tab. It will launch a new window. If you're not seeing this behavior, try clearing your browser's cache.
rivit

rivit's Street and Rail Mods - Support Thread

97 posts in this topic

After quite some interaction with others I have decided to open this thread to enable support around my Street and Railway Mods. This should make it easier, and more generally useful for everyone than relying on PMs or comments sections of the postings.

Today I have released an extensive Railway Mod that completely redraws all rail tiles. This has been my biggest project to date. Upcoming still are Euro tiles for all of my SAM Street overrides, and an upgrade to my German Train sets.

So if therse something you wish to know about these mods - please post your questions or comments.

rivit  1 Feb 2011

Ion_Cannon and ivo_su like this

Ron,

Thanks for the release of the Rail Upgrade Mod, your work with this has been astounding - so many textures to replace and re-do.

I'm sure I can help with the Euro Tests when you get to that stage, always a neglected part of some mods...

If that "Trixie Winner 2010" doesn't have any additions in 2011 I'll eat my hat - well, I don't have a hat so will need to borrow one first....

Dave

I just installed and quickly tested your Railway Upgrade Mod, and I have to say it is quite an improvement. No more mismatched pieces! It must have been a lot of work, so I wanted to say a big THANK YOU!

Your work is very nice! I am not sure if you will take this request or if you will have the time for it, but could you make a cracked roadway mod for roads/avenues/OWRs/etc...? Maybe for a SAM if you can't do it for all roadways?

Thankyou Jay Stimson, DJP and ScottyFTL for your compliments - Its been a long term bee-in-the-bonnet thing for me to get the rail looking good all round. I really like the extended rail sets, but was not keen on the look, and fortunately I eventually learnt enough to be able to do it.

For jeremy1 the problem with 3Dness and rails is that they're actually FLAT textures pasted onto the terrain in the game. The best we can do is imply some shadowing like we have in the ballast to give the impression of height.

Because pieces are used in four orientations its impossible to prebake shadows for all directions and its always possible to put proper 3d objects next to the rail so the limits of the illusion are easily exceeded. 

One can imagine model meshes onto which rail puzzle pieces are put that make the whole look more 3D (like the viaducts, or the embankment lots, or Jays trestles). Its debatable if its worth the effort given how many pieces there already are.

And 3dpuzzlemaster writing while I was has left me bumping myself . However in reply its possible to do the things you've asked, although I'd love a rest from these epics for a little while and let someone else take the reins and learn the craft. It would probably be more useful right now for me to explain  the big steps needed:

1.  You need a good texture for the straight.  (this is creative)

I spent several weeks trying to get one that looked the way I wanted that repeats without joins, will rotate without artifacts (diagonals, curves) and looks variable even though it repeats. It also needs to look OK with game colors, with and without kerbs, with every footpath colour, and with each of the wealth grasses.

Perhaps you and other people can share ideas for this cracked pavement here.

2. Then you make up the straight, diagonal, half curve, 90 curve and their alphas and you try it out on existing cities for a while to see if you get sick of it. Most ideas fail this step in my experience. Some that got through at the time should have.

3. If it survives this test you make up the set by combining the above pieces. (this is hard labour)

the process is not hard once you get to 3, but it is tedious and prone to concentration errors.

4. Once you get to here you need some friends to help test it - because "no matter how well you think you have tested, someone else will find one you missed."

5. Package and release - and be very prepared to have people find things you never thought of.

cheers Ron

First of all, I want to thank you for this most excellent mod. The mismatched rail textures did bother me slightly, although you got used to it. I didn't expect the difference to jump out at me quite as much as it did. This is IMHO how it all should have looked from the start. You really have nailed the look of rail here... BTW, the modded overpasses look fantastic, and everything matches pretty damned well.

I did spot one mismatch remaining however:

A slight problem... (Uploaded with ImageShack)

It's moreso the corners of that intersection (where the rail approaches the avenue) than the rest of it, which is just fine and dandy by me; it's quite normal for level crossings to have the rails more or less surrounded by concrete with just enough room for the tracks and a bit of airspace around them...

No rush on a fix, you've earned a bit of a break from texture modding IMHO. 5.gif

I honestly can't spot any other remaining mismatches, maybe they're there, maybe they aren't. I'm certainly not going to stop using this on account of one intersection; (I usually send avenues over or under the rail in fact; it just wasn't feasible at this location. I also like that you changed the textures on the FLUPs so that instead of that dirt that normally shows, you see a concrete sidewalk like texture. Why it wasn't that way originally I'll never know.

EDIT: Oh, cool, this is my 1.337'th post here. 9.gif 

Well Cammo, you're a good spotter for sure, and I'm glad I didn't get too adventurous with the new look so that it continues to fit.

The pieces in question are 0x04002100-4,0x04002110-4,0x04002120-4 and 0x04002130-4, all diag rail x diag avenue and I know for sure they are in the set  (that is I just checked). This means that its possible you have another avenue mod loading after my rail mod - if true it may well be that all avenue crossings may be old look for you. this is pretty easy to test.  If thats not the case I haven't a clue where they're coming from.

To be frank I don't know of any other ave/rail mods but others might be able to help.

thanks a lot for taking the time to write what you've found, I really appreciate the feedback,

Ron

ivo_su likes this

WAAH! A railroad crossing for avenues that actually adds gates and lights! Neat!

rivit, is this your work?

It's great, the only thing that's missing is the stop line...

@LivingInThePast : The crossings for the avenue are the default SImCity crossings AFAIK. that is I didn't do anything special on/to them at all.

@Cammo: Murphy's law will have it that there were actually two of those textures that were slightly incorrectly made - when you get it working you will note the low (x1x) and high value (x3x) joins have slight mismatches on the sleepers. Thanks - I've fixed that now - but I wont release for some time - its not serious.

Also ; as a check the correct textures should be in Plugins/RVT zRail Upgrade Mod/A1_Crossings.dat   30/12/2010

ivo_su likes this

It gets even stranger...

itgetsstranger.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, for some reason I don't have A1_Crossings.dat 47.gif. I did a reinstall of the RUM and... Nope, still not there, as evidenced above.

Very odd indeed.

@LivingInThePast: I'm not sure where the crossings are coming from - It's either the SFBT catenary mod (which does appear to be completely compatible with your mod, btw, rivit no problems elsewhere) or it's got something to do with the stoplight mod I'm using (which I can't recall the name of for the life of me). It's probably the catenary mod, though. I seem to recall seeing a post with this when it was in development.

Cammo - thats cleared it up for me - while I and others had tested it, on your info I went back to examine the installer and somehow the file isn't actually included in the installer - so I am going to post it as a separate file for now - rather than forcing everyone to reload the 5MB installer.

I will however update the main installer as well,

many thanks, but it would appear that either a) you should be an umpire or b) no-one uses crossings, because all crossings in the base maxis tiles are affected...

ivo_su likes this

fantastic job, my friend :-)

but I have been a little bit greedy to ask for grassy rail texture(for all railway lots including NAM curves)

could you carry on working to present grassy mods and release it? freaky guys like me will be much appreciated

Thankyou Wei,

but the fastest way to get grass under everything is to use no underlay textures at all while optionally using a terrain mod that has deeper grass like CP Meadowshire.

To make this so the file A0_Transparent_Earth.dat should be installed. (option transparent in the installer)

Its easy enough to make a new underlay - only one texture in 5 sizes, but all of the RAM WRC and STR Puzzle pieces would require another texture to be attached to the model. Even then it would not look good (Ive tried it) because the square underlay texture doesn't naturally fit the gradual curves. So I don't recommend going there.

ivo_su likes this

Originally posted by: rivit

Its easy enough to make a new underlay - only one texture in 5 sizes, but all of the RAM WRC and STR Puzzle pieces would require another texture to be attached to the model. Even then it would not look good (Ive tried it) because the square underlay texture doesn't naturally fit the gradual curves. So I don't recommend going there.quote>

Well, that's true as long as we're talking about open terrain. However, when the tracks are surrounded by filler lots and zones (think about sunken rail), the zig-zag edges that spoil the smooth look of the curves are at the edges of said lots or zones... Probably the most flexible solution would be an overhanging model such as those NAM smooth road/avenue curve fillers that sithlrd98 had made initially before he switched to T21s...

T Wrecks, quite so - what you show even more is that getting uniform grass under all rails is a bigger exercise than meets the eye.

ivo_su likes this

Hi, I'm posting in regards to the Railway Upgrade Mod. First thanks for the hard work you put in, the mod is working great. I did have one issue for which I'm posting more to offer some hopefully useful information. When I initially installed this I allowed it to go to it's default location, having no obvious mods that could effect it later on in the file structure. The one problem I had was the transparent underlay I selected during install was not functioning, the typical Maxis dirt was showing (tried with both transparent and mossy). I checked the RUM folder and the correct file was there. I have a typical ZZZ folder for any texture mods I have and moved the mod there to no avail. After much trial and error removing all my plugins one at a time I narrowed the issue down to the SMP sidewalk replacement mod contained in the same ZZZ folder. The RUM still runs after the SMP, however it still caused the underlay texture not to overwrite the Maxis one. I then renamed the RUM folder to start with ZZZ and moved it out to the root of the plugin folder. This put it to run last over absolutely everything except my DAMN menu folder, still no fix. In the end I moved the SMP back out to it's default location and everything works fine now. In every instance the RUM was in a position to run over the SMP but did not until the SMP itself was moved. Strange that a sidewalk mod would alter a rail underlay though. I tested this by zoning a few residential tiles bordering a length of basic rail and str, both with and without street intersections. Maybe this is one of those things that somebody with a better understanding of the game will understand, but I just wanted to offer up the information should it be useful to someone. Again thanks for all your work.

Thanks for your note shokthrpy and I must apologise for the tardy reply. It would seem that the SMP mod does actually have a copy of the same texture - this is distinctly possible because this underlay is used in more places than the rail alone. It is also used by the game between street/road/etc networks and the terrain. If you use the maxis default you will see the same colours along the roads in the country areas.

conversely using the transparent rail underlay while also having SMP before it should undo some part of SMPs sidewalks.

It remains a bit odd though that it will not override the SMP mod unless the SMP is moved - perhaps there is yet another copy of that texture around?.

The underlay textures are numbered with IID 0x08400000-0x08400004. The street sidewalk textures are 0x08100000..4,0x08200000..4,0x08300000..4

ivo_su likes this

Please will this awesome rail system work with NAM and the rail addons?

Edited by Meows

It's entirely NAM compatible as far as I am aware, I don't think the new NAM added anymore rail pieces anyway.

I'd also like to thank you Rivit for making this amazing mod, without it my cities would look a mess.

Hi Ron,

first a big thanks for Your great stuff!

An then i have a question. For my new region i make lots for every station and railyard by myself, need some more realistic ones. Cause of this i want to use Your freight cars from the RVT DB 1950´s Freight trains file. I thought they were some props, but i can´t find them in the LE and i need them like nothing else.

Any chance?

Thanks and greetz, Carl

Carl, I had actually made a new version (version 3) of these trains earlier this year. I have now uploaded it to STEX and you can find props in this set.

cheers Ron

ivo_su likes this

Hi Ron,

yes, i had the old version. Today i´ve downloaded the new one from the NWP-site, and now it works. Thanks a lot, now i can build stations looking like in the sixties,

greetz, Carl

Hi All,

I've been away for a while and have spent the last month or so playing with tunnels. Exciting stuff you might say, but it has been possible to advance the art a little along the way.

I've just released a modd which has a new DTR portal, an STR tunnel, new facades for all of the standard tunnels, and lower/shorter 7.5m Road and One Way road tunnels (the same height as avenues). Also others have discovered that its possible to lay tunnels adjacently when using (with Ennedi slopemod) these new tunnels.

I'll try to answer all queries and supporting questions here, as well as offer support to those wishing to make their own i.e. tell you a bit about how they were made if you like.

rivit

ivo_su likes this

Hi Rivit;

I just wanted to say that I love the tunnel mod. I finally got a chance to really use it in my region today. I especially love the OWR3 tunnels and how they can be placed side by side, since it allows for the creation of RHW-6S tunnels in in a sunken highway setting. (coupled with the new NAM SPUI it makes for some cool stuff:) :thumb:

OWR2.jpg?psid=1

Keep up the good work.

:ninja:

ivo_su likes this

Hi Rivit,

I've been trying out your tarsealed streets today because I liked them much better than the standard streets. I've almost got them working, see pictures:

newcitymar2100133493571.png

newcitymar2100133492443.png

I'm using Nam 30 and mrtnrlnm euro streets mod.

There is one thing going wrong. Perhaps you can help me. The diagonal street to roads tile show a yellow line, I would of course like to see it being a white dashed line. Using SFBT's euro street mod gives me the same result btw. I've looked into the RVT TarSealed Streets - NAM Diagonal Tiles file and found the piece with the yellow line, then looked in the zzzzz RVT TarSealed Street Euro All file and the same insance number wasn't there. Is that correct? The entire 7ab50e44-1abe787d-5f502xxx wasn't there. 2000 to 2534 all show a yellow marking, I guess because I can't make them all apear in game, but that's a different issue.

Am I doing something wrong, or aren't they there?

Great work your doing, so I looking forward to you anwser.

Gr. Wouter.

(ps. never got to thank you for pointing out the alpha map error in my version of your bus and allowing me to use it. Thank you)