Sign in to follow this  
x493x

Downloading music and movies.

I have heard everybody say downloading free movies and music is illegal because of copyright stuff and you need to buy it. 

There is one thing that is bugging me though.  Why is it illegal to download free movies and music when I can:

-get free movies from my local library (only released 2 weeks or so after video stores release them)

-legally record a movie from TV and watch it whenever I want to. 

I know radio stations and TV stations pay for rights but these two points have really been bugging me for a while now.  Please don't mistake this for me looking for an excuse to download this stuff for free. 

With regards to borrowing/renting, the copy of the movie is legally owned by the library or rental service. Once legally obtained, there is no restriction on it changing hands, so long as nobody is making new copies. It's perfectly legal to borrow a DVD from your friend, too, after all...

As for taping off of TV... that one I don't have an answer to.

Originally posted by: x493x

I have heard everybody say downloading free movies and music is illegal because of copyright stuff and you need to buy it. 

There is one thing that is bugging me though.  Why is it illegal to download free movies and music when I can:

-get free movies from my local library (only released 2 weeks or so after video stores release them)

-legally record a movie from TV and watch it whenever I want to. 

I know radio stations and TV stations pay for rights but these two points have really been bugging me for a while now.  Please don't mistake this for me looking for an excuse to download this stuff for free. quote>

Originally posted by: Duke87

With regards to borrowing/renting, the copy of the movie is legally owned by the library or rental service. Once legally obtained, there is no restriction on it changing hands, so long as nobody is making new copies. It's perfectly legal to borrow a DVD from your friend, too, after all...

quote>

In simple terms the TV Station pays the movie studio for the rights to brodcast the movie, they then charge advertisers to play their ads and hope you buy a product,this aplies to the cable networks too. The rental places also pay the studios for the right to rent them out.

even  for TV shows online you pay for your internet acess and  the owners of the show get money from the sites that host them.

in other words nothing is free.

And, if you read the credits on every movie that is broadcast, you will find the appropriate copyright notice.  This also applies to music, which often has a copyright file included or has very good copy protection.

You are free to do as you like, but you are playing with dynamite.

quote>

Well, if you mean like a DVR, it is only kept on that DVR and it can't be burned onto anything and moved.

However it is legal to burn music off a cd then sell the cd, however only if it is a studio released cd (Not a homemade)  so there is alot of grey area.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

And, if you read the credits on every movie that is broadcast, you will find the appropriate copyright notice.  This also applies to music, which often has a copyright file included or has very good copy protection.quote>

Not so much anymore, actually. The record industry has gotten over the whole DRM thing, and is generally much more civilized nowadays. Once they realized that it did nothing to stop piracy (and in fact encouraged piracy due to people being disgusted with the practice) but did a lot to annoy customers, they came to their senses and ditched the idea.

Although, CDs do now contain an FBI warning on the box... you didn't used to see that. Before ripping and burning CDs was possible, it wasn't an issue. Then along came Napster and boom! Everyone's running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to put a lid on it. Then, after a decade of adjustment pains, the industry has gotten used to the new reality of the internet age, and learned to work with it.

Originally posted by: Larks2242

quote>

Well, if you mean like a DVR, it is only kept on that DVR and it can't be burned onto anything and moved.quote>

Sorry, yes, I'm dating myself there. 9.gif

If you actually physically tape something onto VHS, though, you can keep that tape indefinitely, and make copies of it. You can also digitize it. Many dual VHS/DVD players have the capacity to burn tapes onto DVD. I don't think it's legal to do this with stuff taped off of TV, but I doubt anyone will notice if you do.

...and that's the other thing. Piracy is a matter of civil law. You cannot get in trouble for it unless the copyright owner sues you. Some copyright owners don't consider it worth the bother to go after pirates. Some don't care if their stuff is being pirated. Some even encourage it, especially if you get into indie stuff.

Think about it: if you're an indie band and one of your fans shares your music with a friend, you are getting exposure and recognition you otherwise would not.... and what's more, it isn't costing you money. Your fan's friend wasn't going to buy your album if he had to in order to obtain it, but with the pirated copy he'll listen to it, and he may like it - and now you have a new fan. But if you've got a national record deal, everyone's heard of you, you don't need the exposure, and so people pirating your music is nothing but lost revenue.

However it is legal to burn music off a cd then sell the cd, however only if it is a studio released cd (Not a homemade)quote>

No, that's illegal. Doesn't matter whether you sell/give away a burned copy or the original, you are still putting into the hands of two people something you are only allowed to have in the hands of one. You can sell your CD, but you must then remove the music from your computer/iPod/etc. or you are engaging in piracy.

For some years now, my home entertainment system has included a DVD-RW drive that works just fine to both record off the air and/or play both CD's and DVD's.  When I moved the last time, I got rid of my Video Tape library and my VTR systems (2) because if I should want to record a program, I have that ability.  The DVD's read fine on my computer, too, and they can be edited if you so choose.

This gear is available widely,so I suppose the broadcast industry, at least, must have had to come to some accommodation with people on this.  It is possible, but I don't do it, to record a PPV movie if I so desire, or copy a rental.

It is a matter of respecting another's rights to his/her art.  If you copy something and distribute it, you are denying some starving artist of his pittance of a royalty.  I could care less about the corporations, but I care about artists.  If we starve them to death, who will make the next good thing you want to hear or watch.  Many of the Indie films that are around today are very good, but if the consumer cheats these people out of their slight amount of royalties per copy, they will get another job or starve.

Before somebody cracks a remark that artists will always pop up, I point out that they won't if they can't make a living at ti.  What you'll get is the Tiny Talent Time result.  Recording something professionally is expensive, and if they can't make the nut, they just won't do it.  They'll just go perform in pubic wherever they can get a gig.

The reason I have this system is that my late wife was a figure skating fanatic, and she used to record competitions then edit the result for each skater into a collected performances video.  I don't do that, nor am I interested in much video editing.

I was not sure if the following were legal or not but apparently they are all illegal.

I copy all the music my family owns (and some music that my friends own) that I can find. If I find a CD or USB storage device with music on it, I copy it onto my computer. Now, all that stuff is consolidated into one library on my desktop and the total size of that library is about 12GB. Personally, I dislike downloading pirated music because the quality is lower in order to accommodate downloaders with slow internet connections. I always copy (or rip) the highest quality audio file (at one point Apple Lossless and WMA but now uncompressed MP3 so I can edit music on Audacity). USB storage devices (thumb/flash drives and old MP3 Players) that I copy most likely have pirated music. To be honest, I have seen a couple of friends/family pirate music so I know I have illegally downloaded music on my computer. Now, my desktop was infected with a virus from opening a legitimate looking email that purported to offer a plug-in for Google Earth. I checked the sender's email address and it is so make sure to check the senders' email addresses to make sure it is not that. I used all the anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-malware software I had and they discovered a half dozen pieces of spyware but no viruses or worms. The worst thing about this is that all the contacts in my primary email account received SPAM from my address with nothing but a link. I checked the links in my phone (which should be immune to PC malware) and they all came up as pages purporting to sell name brand ED/high blood pressure medicine from a Canadian company on the cheap.

I support the record industry by being one of the few people who still buys CDs at stores. I usually get my favorite songs from iTunes but entire albums are usually easier to just go out and buy them. I also buy indie music on the streets and at open air markets. These kind of albums are all self-published and made on the personal computers of the artists. According to my moral standards, I did nothing wrong but many things right. I also listen to Pandora Radio, which is legal and has a lot of advertisements. Pandora Radio is my preferred method of listening to music when I have plenty of access to electricity and fast internet.

I also buy at least 2 copies of games before considering replacing lost copies in a less expensive manner. I know some people with NetFlix subscriptions that copy all the movies they rent and I have seen many of these movies.

There is no lost revenue because of me, quite the opposite. Because of my habits, publishers make twice as much money from me than from people with similar listening and gaming habits that never break or lose CD's, DVD's, CD-Roms and DVD-Roms. I support local "starving artists" as well as not-so-starving artists and their record companies. With games, I currently own no copies of games that I did not pay for. I used to have abandonware (my definition is that the copyright holders went out of business more than 5 years ago) but my tastes have changed so that the only games I play all come with customer support.

Feel free to edit this post. I see nothing wrong with what I posted but I did admit to doing actions that are legally considered pirating.

Abstract: I do not download pirated music and I strongly disapprove of distributing pirated content. I also have no evidence of ever having any pirated or abandoned games. I bought physical copies of all games I play except for the various free flash games I play and buying the Metaboli download of Cities XL 2011 from Focus.

Originally posted by: Ilikeseattle

The worst thing about this is that all the contacts in my primary email account received SPAM from my address with nothing but a link. I checked the links in my phone (which should be immune to PC malware) and they all came up as pages purporting to sell name brand ED/high blood pressure medicine from a Canadian company on the cheap.quote>

theres an easy solution to that, it happened to me a few months ago. Just change your password on your email account.

I changed the password on my email account when I discovered it sent out SPAM, which was 3 hours after the damage was done.

One of the big problems with public e-mail servers is this kind of thing.  Same thing happened with my daughter's  hotmail account, so she moved to gmail.

I don't understand why people don't just use the e-mail server that is provided by their ISPs.  It is not that hard to set up, and there are so many of them that it is hard for spammers to target them with any effective result.  Besides, the ISPs are usually small enough that they can have someone monitoring for invaders.

Before you say that the ISPs charge for e-mail, are you sure it is not included in your fee anyway?  Mine is.  I also get enough "free" space on the server to hold my private web pages.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

I don't understand why people don't just use the e-mail server that is provided by their ISPs.  It is not that hard to set up, and there are so many of them that it is hard for spammers to target them with any effective result.  Besides, the ISPs are usually small enough that they can have someone monitoring for invaders.quote>

Well, in my case... the email service provided by my ISP sucks. The interface is clunky, it doesn't let me store emails indefinitely, and it's glitchy to the point where sometimes you can send me an email and I will never recieve it.

As such, I use that account to handle website registration, things that needlessly require you to put in an email address to do (such as commenting on blogs), and so forth. Any spam resulting from email address distribution can go there.

For my primary email account that I actually use to email people, I use gmail, because it is much more user-friendly.

There's also my work email, which the company has its own server for. (and my accounts from my previous job and from college, but both of those are deactivated)

It's really best to have multiple email addresses. Besides the purpose of having an account to direct spam to, it also helps to have a backup in case of failure or for password recovery purposes.

Meanwhile, no bot which hacks into my email account is going to be sending spam to any of my contacts because I do not use the contacts feature.

Originally posted by: Ilikeseattle

Well, they only allow 1 free email account per subscription.quote>

False, at least in our case. We've got six email addresses on our subscription and we aren't paying extra for any of them.

I guess the reason I've had so much success with local ISP's over the years is that they have been small.  However, I received the same attentive service from Sympatico (Bell Canada), than bigger I don't think they come.  Any of them would provide up to five free e-mail addresses, web space, and my current one also gives me a little private storage.

The trick is to not use any of their client software.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird (free) which satisfies my needs, including a categorized storage system and a very good SPAM scanner to which you can add your own.  For this I use Spamassassin.  The lastest version of Thunderbird will automatically configure your ISP's mail system if you give it your e-mail address, and you can override it if you don't need all that security.  Another point in favour of Thunderbird is that you can use it as a client to the free e-mail services like gmail according to one of our other members.

My Linux distributor wants me to have Evolution, but it is a groupware system, and I don't need all that junk.