Sign in to follow this  
LivingInThePast

Why not just start over?

I think that Cities XL, even with the improvements made with CXL 2011, is, from what I've seen, is not up to par with SimCity 4, and for the better of everyone, needs to be pretty much started over.

REASONINGS

1. Cities XL was already a "City Life 2", a new start from an already limited program.

2. Cities XL was seen as a disappointment by everybody because MC made promises they could not deliver. A new city simulator that doesn't leave fans that they've been betrayed would be good.

3. Cities XL has a mess of code that is going to be very difficult to patch. The memory leak and various bugs are donegood_code.png

because of quick, sloppy coding, and it's just not effective for Focus to attempt to patch it.

What do you think?

I keep seeing a lot of hyperbole, exaggerations, and unfounded criticism and recommendations. I even contribute a little to the problem (but I end up editing my posts to be more truthful). Cities XL reuses some DATA from City Life but is mostly original code. I do not believe it was written fast because they had several delays to improve the product. It might have been fast and rushed towards the end of development of Cities XL but many of the errors and bugs have been fixed. The fixes always cause incompatibilities with mods for previous versions but development on tools to improve the quality and ease of creating mods have not been a high priority. The worst things have been fixed so modding has moved up on the shorter list. With a title including the year 2011, I would not expect development, patches, fixes, and tools to be done until December.

It just costs to much. Point. The only thing we are waiting for now is the patch, as Ilikeseattle says. We have to be patient 2.gif

Originally posted by: LivingInThePast

Originally posted by: soltangris

One point:

Who's gonna start it all over? You?

I haven't noticed any other game developers to be in a rush lately for creaing new city building games.quote>

First off, that was a terrible counter-argument, and secondly, it would be Focus that would be making a new version.quote>

Actually it's a pretty good argument. If you are saying throw it out and start over, someone's got to be willing to do that. I don't think Focus is right now, nor anyone else.

Your link to a poor page doesn't mean his point isn't valid. That page concerned whether laymen can criticize. He wasn't saying "You can't criticize unless you can do better" he was saying, literally, "Who's going to do it?" Us wishing for something doesn't make someone come along and find it worthwhile to do that thing.

Uh oh, you're being negative about CXL. It's about time you get moderated! You know it's against the rules to be critical of the CXL masterpiece (that didn't manage to be more fun than a game released in 2003).

Originally posted by: USA_Pride

Uh oh, you're being negative about CXL. It's about time you get moderated! You know it's against the rules to be critical of the CXL masterpiece (that didn't manage to be more fun than a game released in 2003).quote>

Some terrible mods then, as I manage to read quite a few negative posts about CXL...

Originally posted by: mentarmanSome terrible mods then, as I manage to read quite a few negative posts about CXL...quote>

I got harassed by a mod for being negative about CXL.  I called the Planet Offer a scam, said it wouldn't work, and that it was just a money grab.

I was told to shut up, not say anything bad, change my avatar that said "Say No to the PO", and was told I couldn't say anything bad about CXL or Monte Cristo or I'd be banned.

Here's a direct quote from an email got from a moderator:  

1. Your avatar and signature will have all references to
CXL
, Monte Cristo and the Planet Offer removed. It will also not contain any reference to the staff, the rules of the site or its moderation. 
2. Making further posts regarding the Planet Offer is off limits.

The moderator I think was doing an on-the-job interview for a spot on the Egyptian police.

I was trying to warn people not to waste their money on scams like the PO or a game released in these times that didn't even have multi-core support.

Where are they now then? Why haven't we all been erased?

Could it be that your over-the-top histrionics, which are what you probably really got warned for, are just that?

I'm glad you've gotten over it though. When was this again?

Originally posted by: USA_Pride

I was trying to warn people not to waste their money on scams like the PO or a game released in these times that didn't even have multi-core support.

quote>

A lot of people still have basic core systems....and even if you have multiple ones, you can set the affinity for CXL so it only uses one core. It's actually good, in a way, because your CPU will never get a high usage percentage.

I don't know your situation, but I do know that if you've made a habit of drawing attention to yourself in the way you've just demonstrated, it's easy to see why you've fallen out of favour with the mods on this forum.

The title of this thread isn't "Let's all feel sorry for poor old USA_Pride", so why don't we just stay on topic eh?

Anyway... I've just recently picked up a copy of CXL 2011 and am discovering the game for the first time. So far, I've only but been impressed. To me, it feels almost like a fully 3 dimensional Sim City 3000. A few features are lacking here and there, the unvarying lot sizes are a bit annoying, but overall, I have no idea what some of you guys are complaining about. I know nothing about coding or modding, but as for starting over, would Focus would ever need or even want to have to take that step? It just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I bought the game too, and have been playing it frequently for almost a month. Not once has it crashed, not once have I gotten a corrupt city, and not once have I run into a bug. The game gets a thumbs up from me so far......plus it's only been a couple months since it came out! I'd like to find out the whole deal about the "coding" in the game, as I am not familiar with it, and cannot judge it that well. All I know, is that the game is running smoothly for me; and it seems that Foucs Home is working with the situation that they inherited. You can't ask for much more than that at this point.

i don't know if anybody have already said this but, you should not try to compare CXL to SC4.

Us here at Simtropolis may use SC4 as a template and baseline because we have used it and improved on it for 8 years.

You cannot expect a game like CXL to be as good as SC4 in a fraction of the time.

You can either play the game and enjoy it or don't play it at all.

I don't; I play City Life: it had an unique premise- social unity and cooperation, and of course I play SC4 for its transportation tools and it many mods from Simtropolis.

So please, stop complaining.