Sign in to follow this  
im1knight

How to deal with an aging population in my city?

4 posts in this topic

I have created a mid sized city that's developed fairly well. 300K population, lots of positive cash flow, low commute time, nearly full EQ, and life expectency at over 90.

However, i noticed that the population in my city is aging at an alarming speed. About 70% of my population is now at age 50-70, while less than 12% is below 20..So as far as i'm seeing, as soon as these main work force begin to retire and die off, it's going to be really challenging for me to keep this city up. Most likely i'll get black buildings everywhere...

How can I solve this? How do i increase the birth rate of my population? It just seems to me that these people are just not giving birth to any kids-__-

Hi, im1knight,

Welcome to Simtropolis.

This is a thing with the game.  If no new areas are zoned, the sim population ages, and yes, the younger percentages go way down.  Schools are under utilized, etc.  It is a bit unrealistic, and I wish coders would have put a bit more thought into this.

About the only solution I have found is to zone new areas, demolishing the old if necessary.  It may help a bit if the life expectancy is lower, I'm sorry to say.  If anyone else has found a cure, I would love to hear it, too.  19.gif  It does seem that when they die, they are replaced, as I haven't experienced a worker shortage as yet.  But that doesn't seem to raise the younger percentages.  It is also a thing, that when things are too good, in the city, and just sorta hum along status quo, it tends to stagnate.

This is where your Evil Twin Mayor can come out and play.  11.gif  Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Livin in Sim has one solution, and it will work.  Pick a stagnant area with a high age group and demolish it.  The Sims will move and your mayor ratings will drop.  Then zone a dirty industrial park there along with some high-density residential for R$ tenements.  Run about 10 years then add an elementary school, etc., etc.  Be careful what services you provide other than fire.

On the other hand, you could start a neighbor city on the same basis with good commuting to the main city when the ed level is high enough.  Switching back and forth may be a bit of a drag, but it is worthwhile.