Sign in to follow this  
Helepolis989

First Post/Would like some help please

Hello, this is my first post. I know some of my post doesnt belong here but i figured this would be the best spot. First of all how come the site is so slow? Is there anything i can do to speed this up? I always think its going to freeze because it takes so long to load a page.

Second, I am trying to get back into Sim City 4, had a few questions though. Are there any mods out there that changes ALOT of the game. I dont want to just go download a bunch of buildings people made, was hoping for some kind of new look all together. If there is something or even something similar could you refer it to me.

The last question was i just need help playing this game. I have a few questions about how i can make my cities better, i have looked for some tutorials over at simcity.com but most of them are terrible. First of all how do you start your city? I always make the second level houses, the first power plant that isnt windmills, a water tower and industry. Then maybe 4 squares of commercial buildings. Im usually losing about 600 a month at the beginning. What is the best way to start out the game.

The second is pollution, i know you can put trees down and stuff, but is there a better way to make my pollution to go away. I try to spread the industries out so there isnt just one big spot that pollutes the entire city. But even that doesnt really help. Once i am a pretty big city, i do try to recover the industry zones with commercials hoping that in the future i could have absolutly no industry places so i have no polution. But i havent been able to do that cause then my population suffers.

Next are the roads, no matter what i do i seem to always get people upset to me. I try to make a bunch of the roads one way, add a bunch of avenues. I even try to make some highways but that never works. DO you guys destroy parts of your city to have a highway going through? Cause i only make them if i have room to not destroy other stuff. I also try to do a bunch of subways. Basically how much do you guys use of each thing, and whats the best way to make the roads work?

The next is for a largest square you can make a city, how many hospitals,schools, police departments do you have in that entire thing. And how can you afford to make many, once i get past maybe 6 clinics and maybe 1 full hospital i cant afford to do anything else, which is i guess a question in itself, how do you afford to put down everything that is needed without going over budget.

That is it for now, Thanks to anyone who responds.

Originally posted by: Helepolis989

Hello, this is my first post. I know some of my post doesnt belong here but i figured this would be the best spot. First of all how come the site is so slow? Is there anything i can do to speed this up? I always think its going to freeze because it takes so long to load a page.

Second, I am trying to get back into Sim City 4, had a few questions though. Are there any mods out there that changes ALOT of the game. I dont want to just go download a bunch of buildings people made, was hoping for some kind of new look all together. If there is something or even something similar could you refer it to me.

The last question was i just need help playing this game. I have a few questions about how i can make my cities better, i have looked for some tutorials over at simcity.com but most of them are terrible. First of all how do you start your city? I always make the second level houses, the first power plant that isnt windmills, a water tower and industry. Then maybe 4 squares of commercial buildings. Im usually losing about 600 a month at the beginning. What is the best way to start out the game.

The second is pollution, i know you can put trees down and stuff, but is there a better way to make my pollution to go away. I try to spread the industries out so there isnt just one big spot that pollutes the entire city. But even that doesnt really help. Once i am a pretty big city, i do try to recover the industry zones with commercials hoping that in the future i could have absolutly no industry places so i have no polution. But i havent been able to do that cause then my population suffers.

Next are the roads, no matter what i do i seem to always get people upset to me. I try to make a bunch of the roads one way, add a bunch of avenues. I even try to make some highways but that never works. DO you guys destroy parts of your city to have a highway going through? Cause i only make them if i have room to not destroy other stuff. I also try to do a bunch of subways. Basically how much do you guys use of each thing, and whats the best way to make the roads work?

The next is for a largest square you can make a city, how many hospitals,schools, police departments do you have in that entire thing. And how can you afford to make many, once i get past maybe 6 clinics and maybe 1 full hospital i cant afford to do anything else, which is i guess a question in itself, how do you afford to put down everything that is needed without going over budget.

quote>

1. I use IE instead of chrome as my brouser to speed up the page loads.

2. The is the NAM is a traffic simulator that changes the original game a lot. It offers perfect pathfinding to find the quickest route instead of the shortest route. Using it sims will try to find a quicker route around traffic congestion. You can only download it at SC4Devotion. Another game changer is the radius doubler which doubles the coverage radius of education and health buildings and police and fire stations. It saves you money and gives less incentive for big residential blocks and more incentive for realistic looking cities. You can download it at the stex. See the "stex collections" tab near the top of the web page. You can search for it in there.

See the "omnibus" tab near the top of the webpage? There are alot of tutorials in there.

Industry is the key driver of city growth. So the only way to get city growth without pollution is to set taxes on dirty industry to 20% at the start of the game. Then rely on agriculture and/or manufacturing industry to grow your city and spread out over the map.

The only city service you need to provide an agriculture strategy is power. Then you city will be profitable. 

For the manufacturing industry strategy you need to have enough R$$ and R$$$ to create demand for more manufacturing industry because R$ with low education don't create demand for manufacturing industry. The way to attract enough R$$ and R$$$

into your city is to build a police,fire, hospital, college, museum, library,school and highschool in a 10x10 clump in the middle surrounded by low density residential zones. Then surround the residential with commercial and industry zones. Zone industry in 2x2 zones and checkerboard them so the manufacturing industry doesn't create pollution. When the education level is high enough high tech industry will develop and you can zone more 2x2 industry zones in the spaces left in the checkerboard pattern.

You will lose money at the start, but you'll soon attract enough R$$,R$$$,CS$$,CS$$$,CO$$,CO$$$ and I$$,I$$$ to become profitable. Remember R$ in low density is profitable and R$ in medium or high density residential is unprofitable.

The third alternative to no pollution is to rely on a combination of agriculture and manufacturing industry to drive city growth.

The NAM mod should solve most of your traffic problems. If most of your residential zoning is at low density like it is in real life you shouldn't have traffic problems. 

On a 256x256 tile map my strategy is to have 2 arterial roads running north/south 4 tiles apart and 2 arterial roads running east/west also 4 tiles apart. In the center where they meet I have a 10x10 block where I put the city service buildings. In between the remaining space between the north/south and east/west arterial roads I zone medium density residential. Then in the remaining 4 quadrants of the big square that health and education coverage can reach I zone low density residential. The entire residential area is surround and separated from the commercial area by a pedestrian tile road.(Only available if you download the nam) The 4 low density residential areas have loops made from streets that connect to the north/south east/west arterial roads or lead directly to the commercial area surrounding the residential area.

In the commercial area I use alternating one way streets to separate the commercial zoning. Then the commercial area is surrounded by industrial zoning and the industrial zoning is surrounded by a highway. Then you start on the next block of residential surrounded by commerce surrounded by industry surrounded by highway. You should be able to fit 16 of these blocks on a 256x256 tile map. For mass transit I just use busing and subways. bus stops go in all zone types and subway stops go in the commercial areas.

Regarding the budget and having a profitable city.

1. Zone most of your residential at low density. You lose money when R$ live at medium or high density and you try to provide them with health and education services. Ideally all R$ should live at low density in 1x1 lots. All R$$ at medium density in 1x1 lots and all R$$$ at high density. 

2. Set the ambulance and busing sliders to zero on your hospital and schools. Then zone residential in the coverage square within the coverage circle. It works better if you use the large schools and even better if you use the radius doubler mod.

3. Use your tax policy to create demand and guide growth to the $$ and $$$ buildings that pay more taxes. I use this:

R$ 9.0%, R$$ 8.8% R$$$ 8.6%

CS$ 9% CS$$ 8.6% CS$$$ 8.2%

CO$$ 8.6% CO$$$ 8.2%

I$ agriculture 9.0% I$ dirty 20% I$$  8.6% I$$$ 8.2%

As you can see I don't rely on dirty industry to grow my city ever. 

If I'm using only manufacturing industry and no agriculture to grow the city I set the CS$ taxes to 20%. You don't need dirty industry and CS$ to grow your city. Dirty industry and CS$ only create demand for R$ residents who move into your city with a low education level. R$ pay low taxes and new R$ with low education who move into your city only create more demand for more dirty industry and more CS$ who also pay low taxes. 

So you end up in a positive feedback loop of more pollution and low taxes and wind up with budget problems.

Hello, Helepolis989,

Welcome to Simtropolis.

Thanks to WooHoo, for the great advice...Just a couple things...

Originally posted by: WooHoo

...the NAM is a traffic simulator ...You can only download it at SC4Devotion...quote>

6.gif  It can also be found on Simtropolis, here<<<3.gif

... the radius doubler ...You can download it at the stex. See the "stex collections" tab near the top of the web page. You can search for it in there....

quote>

The Stex Collections tab actually leads to our DVDs, compiled for fundraising.  (It's rumored there is a direct correlation of donations to site speed.  3.gif )  They are very good, but you can't search or download individual files from them, until you get them.  The correct tab is actually ST Exchange; I'm sure it was just a typo.  The radius doubler can be found here<<<.

My general advice would be to read as much as you can in the forums, and the Omnibus.  You've started in the right place, there's a lot of good stuff in SC4 General Discussion. 

There is no one modd that changes the whole look of the game, but there is a veritable buffet of nice custom content from which you can afford to pick and choose, depending on the look you want.  Take a look at some of the various city journals for examples of almost as many themes as there are mayors.  Journalers are usually quite willing to share the names of various plugins.

Enjoy the game and the forums,

--Liv

PS -- One plugin that would change the look of the whole landscape is a terrain modd.  There are a lot of them, search cycledogg and Pegasus on STEX, and c.p. or jeroni on SC4Devotion for some examples, but there are others.  Custom flora can also be added, by the same authors, as well as other members.  19.gif

You have received some good advice so far.  I am going to give you my opinion based on some eight years of playing this program.

Hello, this is my first post. I know some of my post doesn't belong here but i figured this would be the best spot. First of all how come the site is so slow? Is there anything i can do to speed this up? I always think its going to freeze because it takes so long to load a page.quote>

ST is optimised for Firefox.  If you are using Chrome, I would think hard about whether you really want that shiny new browser or want one that has a reasonable history.  I haven't used IE for more years than I care to think about.

The browser is often not at fault, but the ST server, which has only so much bandwidth.  Since many of the members are in North America, I would avoid busy times in those time zones.  If you can, try around 0500 GMT.  That's midnight in the Eastern time zone.

Second, I am trying to get back into Sim City 4, had a few questions though. Are there any mods out there that changes ALOT of the game. I don't want to just go download a bunch of buildings people made, was hoping for some kind of new look all together. If there is something or even something similar could you refer it to me.quote>

If you want co-ordinated sets of plugins, Pegasus is a good spot to look.  You'll need to register.  It is free.  SC4D's LEX is also a good spot to look for things like terrain mods.  Here on the STEX, look for cycledog.

The last question was i just need help playing this game. I have a few questions about how i can make my cities better, i have looked for some tutorials over at simcity.com but most of them are terrible. First of all how do you start your city? I always make the second level houses, the first power plant that isn't windmills, a water tower and industry. Then maybe 4 squares of commercial buildings. I'm usually losing about 600 a month at the beginning. What is the best way to start out the game.quote>

The game doesn't provide enough money to even get a decent city started quickly.  I use the extra cheats .dll to alter the profile of the game by giving a new city 2,000,000 to start up.  I take it back when the city's treasury exceeds that amount.  This is done using the moolah command.

Beware of the demand graph.  A high demand for R$ Sims is a request for low income earners.  IN a city, these live in multiple residential buildings, also know as high-rise tenements.  For them, zone high-density.  There is little correlation between the demand graph and the zones.  If you want R$$$ try zoning 3 x 3 low density, and you should get mansions, eventually.

The second is pollution, i know you can put trees down and stuff, but is there a better way to make my pollution to go away. I try to spread the industries out so there isn't just one big spot that pollutes the entire city. But even that doesn't really help. Once i am a pretty big city, i do try to recover the industry zones with commercials hoping that in the future i could have absolutely no industry places so i have no pollution. But i haven't been able to do that cause then my population suffers.

quote>

There are many anti-pollution lots on the STEX.  I happen to be the author of a couple of out-and-out cheat lots that take the worry out of power plants and the need for water.  In my old alter-ego of N_O_Body, I created an antimatter power plant that not only provides a lot of power but eats pollution over an entire large tile.  It needs a lot of water for this, so I also created the Artesian water supply.  You can find both of them on the STEX by searching for N_O_Body.

Next are the roads, no matter what i do i seem to always get people upset to me. I try to make a bunch of the roads one way, add a bunch of avenues. I even try to make some highways but that never works. DO you guys destroy parts of your city to have a highway going through? Cause i only make them if i have room to not destroy other stuff. I also try to do a bunch of subways. Basically how much do you guys use of each thing, and hats the best way to make the roads work?

quote>

Well, I assume you have the NAM.  If you don't, it should be the first plugin you get.  I don't plan my cities very much.  I generally start with either farms or, more recently, an industrial pod based around a seaport.  If there is no seaport, then I just pick a spot and create an industrial pod by click and hold.  Then I supply this with high-rise residential zoning for R$ to work there, and a commercial pod so they can shop.  Add health, fire, police protection and an elementary school, and you've got a start.  Since the moolah command has relieved budget worries you can work on making it profitable by adding stuff as appropriate.

Do not be afraid to knock things down when you have to do urban renewal to fix your road network.  This is a common phenomenon in all cities which have really only two seasons: winter and construction.

I like my cities sparse with lots of green space, so I generally have a low population done by spreading out in several suburbs, placed a decent distance apart and connected by either rail or highways.

quote>

On a large tile, because I have no budget constraints, I generally use the largest amenities that are available to cover large areas.

quote>

I hope this helps you, but remember, this is one man's opinion, and you have to develop your own style.

Thanks guys for taking the time out by making those in-depth posts. I will try to make sense of all of it, i just dont know the quick language of SC4 yet. I will definetly be adding those mods and see if that helps. I am using firefox but not chrome or anything. I am sure i will have more questions once i start playing again which will be in a minute. So thank you for now that was a great help

Edit- Ok as i said i was gonna have some questions. What do you guys use for your first mode of transportation, outside of the premade roads. Bus's, Subways, Avenues, Highways? I normally do subways but this time im trying bus's.

Also what do you do for trash and farms? I have never tried farms, just going straight to $$ industry, so do you guys send it to another square or something? I havent really tried doing more then one square at a time, seems to complicated to me.

Thanks guys for taking the time out by making those in-depth posts. I will try to make sense of all of it, i just dont know the quick language of SC4 yet. I will definetly be adding those mods and see if that helps. I am using firefox but not chrome or anything. I am sure i will have more questions once i start playing again which will be in a minute. So thank you for now that was a great helpquote>

If you are stuck on SC4Speak, there is a glossary here.

Edit- Ok as i said i was gonna have some questions. What do you guys use for your first mode of transportation, outside of the premade roads. Bus's, Subways, Avenues, Highways? I normally do subways but this time im trying bus's.

quote>

Bus with RTMT stops mostly
]

Also what do you do for trash and farms? I have never tried farms, just going straight to $$ industry, so do you guys send it to another square or something? I havent really tried doing more then one square at a time, seems to complicated to me.

quote>

Trash has a couple of in-game items:  A garbage to power plant, which can be used with the slider set to zero, when it just eats garbage slowly;  Landfills (ugh!).  Recycling centres, one for each 25000 Sims.  Otherwise the various libraryies ahve garbage handling things from PEG's garbage docks, to othe infinite capacity Black Hole.

You can use farms as a start-up if you like.  You need about six farms and a wind generator, and there you are: profit.  You put some 1 x 2 R single occupancy lots directly on the farm fields to get farm workers.  Each farm must have at least one side with a street.  You can use the SAM to make this into a dirt road.

Regional play is one of the main features of the game.  Once you get a city well started you will start to get messages about neigbbors being friendly.  That's the time to connect to the next tile.  Just run a road off the edge, save your current tile and ope the adjacent one.  You'll find that the demands from the first tile are carried to the second one, and you can do what is needed there.

How you do your region is a matter of personal style.  I tend to look at a region as one big city.  Here is a screenshot of my current harbor region.

screenshotci.jpg

This is a region created from a map I posted on the STEX, but I have terraformed and changed it a little.  The dark water areas indicate those tiles I have used so far.  They are dark because I installed a water mod after I rendered the map.  As I pick up each one, the new textures will be applied.  If you look at this closely, you'll see it is pretty sparse, but the region pop is around 632,000.  I've only been working on this for a couple of weeks.