Sign in to follow this  
simcitymaster101

Highway addons for cities xl 2011

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

The highway intercharges of CXL are sadly a real crap, I actually do not know if there will be some but I don't think so because theese intercharges are much too complex.

Originally posted by: Skimbo

The models would be the smallest problem, Do you have any idea how to place paths on them, mrtnrln?quote>

Measures are the difficult part of pathing. Commands in the .layout file are not that complex.

However, since measures are not perfect integers, I think that MC used a software (with visual interface) to create layouts.

Originally posted by: Jesse Swiss

Could you edit the looks of it at least? Would that work?quote>

Retexturing ain't a problem, I've already made some new textures. 

You can download my euro 2005 mod if you want to have textures that make expressways at least look like highways. (But they are texture modded only)

simcitymaster101    2
  • Original Poster
  • yeh i like expressways but the capacity of highways and their interchanges are better. Making your own interchanges with oneway roads and streets can be time consuming and can take up a lot of space, as well as not always looking the way you planned

Originally posted by: Ilikeseattle

Expressways can be made into highways (by definition, they kinda are). Expressways are more versatile than the "fast lanes."quote>

But they are slower and put traffic lights all over the place when you use them. You can't make a proper city freeway network with the ingame expressways. All the "fast lanes" need really is more interchange and ramp choices including ones that don't take up ridiculous amounts of space.

They only put traffic lights at intersections/interchanges. If you want as many intersections as highway interchanges, you can make overpasses, underpasses and other types of bypasses. The problem is that all buildings/objects (interchanges are categorized as such) need to be rectangular so the cloverleaf has wasted space where it seems like buildings can go. Someone fixed it slightly to make a Park Interchange that improves the environment score and has added trees.

Thanks for your interest. All I did was change the dimension of the intersections (I did the same thing with the low density housing, if you look at the pictures you can see the houses are closer together).The only issue is that once the dimensions have been changed, you cannot place the intersections. Therefore, you have to place your complete freeway system including intersections first, then change the dimensions. If you wanted to add more intersections after you placed buildings within the original dimensions of the intersections, you would have to bulldoze all buildings in those dimensions, then replace the original dimensions, otherwise the game will crash. So with that being said, if people are still interested, I can post a mod with new intersection dimensions that will allow you to build in this space. Thanks.

Okay here are the mods you need. These mods currently only support American highways. The first mod will change the dimensions of the intersections and the second mod will give you the intersection with no roundabouts.

Make sure you have your entire highway system built before you install this mod. Once the dimensions have been changed, the game will not allow you to place more intersections. If you have already installed the mod and you would like to add more intersections, you would first have to bulldoze all buildings within the dimensions of the original intersections then remove the mod, otherwise the game will crash. 

Intersections with no dimensions Download

Intersection w/out roundabout Download