Sign in to follow this  
DocRorlach

Flushed down the drain..

I've had quite a few odd occurences with SC4 in my time, but the latest "discovery" beats them all. Here's what happens:

• All sounds and music are always turned off.
  • This only happens on one particular city tile (large), which contains a medium-sized town with a bit of industry, plus an outlying village with the BSC Claypit structures and the Newman Inc Coal Mine, surrounded largely by R$/R$$ housing.
  • Building style: Euro only.
  • The town center consists mostly of ploppable MP Slum buildings, and some of his residential edifices placed via the BuildingPlop cheat. Rest of town residences are grown, mostly Mattb325, SFBT, some SG and some SOMY housing.
  • All industry is plopped, stations/freight depots are home-grown customizations.
  • Except for the mining & clay operations there is nothing on this tile I have not used elsewhere in this 15x17 large tile region without any problems. Demolishing these two makes no difference.
  • All rail/road connections are pretty much standard.
  • Same goes for utilities.
  • Once the loading process of this particular city has run (the first subtitle on the region map gives way to the second), I get to hear the sound of gurgling water, not unlike a flushing cistern.
  • Somewhere between two and five minutes into the game, the city crashes to the desktop.
  • If I pause the game, then restart it, the same sound appears.
  • In order to crash, the game must not be paused.
Does anyone know of a lot (probably an upload during the last 8-2 months) that a) generates sound, and b) overrides the game sound settings.

And before I forget: Since a while now, the opening logo now features the subtitle: "You have no rights. All your rights are ours."

Originally posted by: DocRorlach

"You have no rights. All your rights are ours."

quote>

Sounds like something from 1984. If you are trying to find the plugin, just use the binary search method. Keep removing half your plugins until you find the one that is screwing everything up.

Originally posted by: DocRorlach

And before I forget: Since a while now, the opening logo now features the subtitle: "You have no rights. All your rights are ours."

quote>

I don't have the problem with the sound. But within the last month so I have noticed The new subtitle in the opening logo.

The opening logo text comes from TD Essentials1.0.dat., part of the Shottesbrook Winery. The person who did this apparently thought it was funny. I suspect very much that the same file is responsible for the CTD..

OK, well as far as the opening logo goes - I take full responsibility. It was a joke between me and a teammate that was never taken out (but will be now be updated). It has, however, nothing to do with any of the other issues you mention, it's just a simple LTEXT override that effects that opening text only; I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

As for your other issues, I recommend the same process you took to identify the TD essentials plugin - something must be causing it...

thingfishs ;-)

Originally posted by: thingfishs

OK, well as far as the opening logo goes - I take full responsibility. It was a joke between me and a teammate that was never taken out (but will be now be updated). It has, however, nothing to do with any of the other issues you mention, it's just a simple LTEXT override that effects that opening text only; I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

As for your other issues, I recommend the same process you took to identify the TD essentials plugin - something must be causing it...

thingfishs ;-)

quote>

Wrong: Until proven otherwise, I also suspected your lots to be the cause of the crash: what I mistook for flushing or gurgling water is in fact a WAV file included in the same TD Essentials DAT. It plays for less than ten seconds - hence my misidentification - and then the city crashes. Having removed your DAT as well as the vinery it came with I also removed the CTD cause: the city is again stable.

Yikes... OK, well first of all, lets be clear that there was no malicious intent here WHATSOEVER. It is purely a text file (that has now been removed and the file updated - if anyone else wants to remove that message, simply remove your TD essentials file and download the new version). I have used the winery countless times now, and in combination with a myriad of plugins without issue - but I don't doubt what you're saying - thanks for bringing it to my attention and I will look into it.

It was a private joke and in context was very funny.

The facts remain: removal of the DAT (the props of which I had used, for own use only, nothing published) and the winery stopped the CTD. And it is never only a text file - a DAT caues interactions with the game, regardless of its purpose and content. Whether it was the WAV files (bypassing the No Sound settings), or something else in the DAT I cannot tell.

I do not claim it was malicious: if it had been meant as a joke or "easter egg" then you might have, eventually, explained the "joke".

Even though coming in at the tail-end of a conversation often feels like a case of "closing the barn doors after the cows have gone," I would like to remind everyone that we are here to discuss game related matters and not each other - especially in the public forums and, ideally, in private - and discussing things in a polite manner often accomplishes things more efficiently than not.

The efforts made in tracking down the file creating the issue are appreciated, and hopefully, it is also understood that not everyone shares the same sense of humor. While things shared privately may be perfectly understandable by the parties involved, not everyone may appreciate the unexpected appearing in the game or in carefully constructed cities by things shared publicly.

So, to use the words of that famous... somebody... While we don't all have to be friends, we should strive to be friendly...

Thanks for reading...

Some editing was done to the above posts. If anyone feels the need for further discussion, please feel free to PM me. Any posts that may have been made after this one were removed to maintain and encourage a friendly environment.

Thanks