Sign in to follow this  
beyurslf

Help with adding bus lines

I have been growing my city Platouenia that I started a CJ for. Around 700,000 people, I decided to start adding bus lines because traffic was getting out of hand. The city is laid out in disctricts, with specific areas for industrial and manufacturing development. Unskilled and skilled neighborhoods often were laid out close together. This made the initial bus lines easy to lay out. I started with a bus line that went through each neighborhood (unskilled and skilled) and then had each other those lines go through the industrial parks. I made a seperate line for the skilled neighborhood to the CBD. After some time, I saw some lines had very high ridership and I increased it to a bigger bus and some had very low ridership so I decrease it to a mini bus. The average ridership is just over 50% now and the cost is a manageable 20,000.

Here is the dilemma: The city now has 3.3 million people and I have not made any new bus lines yet. I have held off because the old lines seemed like a good idea but seem quite inefficient for such a large city now. When I had just a few unskilled and skilled neighborhoods and just one large industrial park and a CBD, it was easy to connect each area to each neighborhood. Now, I have two sprawling industrial parks and an expanded CBD. There are many, many neighborhoods. I figure the cost could easily reach 200,000 if I built the same way.

Here is a pic of the city with wealth zones highlighted. (Sorry the pics are low quality. I didn't want to take the time to change the graphic setting because it takes a while on this computer to do it.)

wealthzones.jpg

The original lines are all in the upper right hand corner of the pic and in the neighborhoods along the right hand side. All of the skilled neighborhoods along the top and middle, as well as the skilled and unskilled neighborhoods along the left side, are unserved by busses. The industrial expansion in the left corner is also unserved. Only the CBD section to the farthest right is served as well.

What I would like to do is set up lines that serve the neighborhoods from the stadium up to the top of the map and over to the right but just have those lines serve through those neighborhoods. Then, I would like to have connection points with lines that go out to the industrial areas and the CBD. From what I learned in the tutorial, though, this didn't seem like it would work. It made it sound like the bus lines had to connect residential areas with work areas. But that is not a natural way for a bus system to work since it often requires taking a transfer bus to get somewhere.

I guess my question is would it work for me to establish lines that serve only residential areas and then create hubs in large transportation centers with lines that then connect to places of work? I really just don't want to invest several hours in building this network only to find out it doesn't work that way.

Here is a transportation map to help see where the problem areas are. You can see the upper left hand corner and upper middle neighborhoods are all beginning to see build up. Any suggestions?

Trafficzones.jpg

On an unrelated note, is there not a way to build a new Town Hall without first destroying the old one? I wanted to place a modern city hall building in the U shape transport hub in the middle up top. But, I don't seem to have that option unless I destroy my old one first.

Well, I think you're overestimating your problem. Or rather, you know what to do, but you think there's a catch - well, there isn't. Transportation for a 3 mln city is expensive and elaborate. My biggest city hasn't reached two mln yet, and is already panting with traffic even with three metro lines connecting to the industrial districts and several strategic bus lines.running in the residential neighborhoods and connecting to the metro.

So, basically, I would recommend you build a metro line, or several metro lines. They have a much bigger capacity than busses, and could serve your srpawling industrial districts.

Looking at your pics, I would think of three lines:

1. East-west, going through this 'U-hub' that you mention;

2. North-south, connecting to the hub

3. A 'circular' third line, going from the Unskilled district in the East through the southern industrial districts (where it connects to line 2), and ending in the north-western Unskilled district (maybe also connecting there with line 1).

Then you could make several bus lines in all major districts, interconnecting whatever is left out of the metro lines. Yes, there is interconnectability in the game - citizens will jump from bus to bus (they are even willing to walk 5 -6 blocks in the process), and then to the metro. So:

- "Gather' passengers with the bus lines, and

- 'Bring' them to the metro, which with its high capacity will serve all industry and the CDB.

At any rate you'll be spending quite some money to maintain this system, but there's simply no other way. It's also very realistic - look at all the money big cities spend on transportation. OK, they charge tickets, but most of the transport still ends up costing money, instead of making profit.

Now, this is the principle. My own experience (and other people's also) shows that for some reason people don't like using the metro, especially when there's a paralel bus line going nearby. There's absolutely no reason for this, other than some sort of bug. Which should be fixed soon.

- About the City Hall:

There is no way to build another of the 'normal' City Hall building. However, there are two additional City Hall buildings in the Packs - the San Francisco (if I'm not mistaken) and the Tokyo City Hall, respectively in the American and Asian pack. Look into 'Buildings' in the pack, not 'Blueprints' ! They should be there already, since your city is big enough.

Thanks! Your explanation is much better than the tutorial. I finished it thinking I would need a bus line in every neighborhood going to every work district. I have already started adding the metro lines and see the difference just in the areas I started working in.

@ beyurslf -- your city's layout looks great.

I have found myself in the same situation, with a quickly growing city and insufficient public transportation.

@ soltangris -- your answer to the problem sounds 'right-on'. Thank you. I'll put your ideas into use shortly in one of my growing cities.

Transportation systems are costly, but I feel that a well designed, thought out one is worth every single penny.

Do all bus lines 1st stop have to be the station itself? If I lay down a large 12 line building I have to run all 12 lines with the 1st and second stop being the station itself? Thats really really dumb? so either I am stupid or the way they set that part up is stupid???? someone help me out here

I also wonder about the original question in terms of taking one bus to another for a final destination will the ai do that?

I think the first stop does have to be at the station but the second one can go anywhere. I have not found any need for the 12 station stop because I would rather have the stations closer to the neighborhoods.

Originally posted by: Breeze1965

Do all bus lines 1st stop have to be the station itself? If I lay down a large 12 line building I have to run all 12 lines with the 1st and second stop being the station itself? Thats really really dumb? so either I am stupid or the way they set that part up is stupid???? someone help me out here

I also wonder about the original question in terms of taking one bus to another for a final destination will the ai do that?

quote>

Do all bus lines start from the terminal? Yes. That's why it's called 'Terminal', because it's the start/end point of all lines. It's the same in real world, the bus lines don't just start in the middle of nowhere.

If you're so keen on having different start points, use small terminals, and place them in different points. The purpose of the Large terminal is to be in the center point of the transport network, like the hub in a radial system.

And for the N-th time, YES, people/AI will change from one bus line to the other, until they get to their destination.