Sign in to follow this  
toroca

Conflict Detection?

3 posts in this topic

I've been out of this for so long, I'm probably not even posting this in the right place, but searching here and elsewhere on the web is getting me nowhere.

Is there a simple tool somewhere that can scan your plugins and detect whether any of them conflict with each other?  Whether they use the same instance IDs or modify the same exemplars or whatever? It seems to me this would be a useful tool for both the end-user and for modders; I'd be using it in both capacities if I could find such a thing.

This question arises because I've started tinkering with the game again after years of not modding, and among other things, I have no idea whether any of my own custom mods conflict with the NAM. I did remove three that I'm sure do, but I can't tell from the Readme alone whether any of my custom stuff is going to conflict.

If there's something that can compare plugin files for me, please direct me to it. 4.gif

I don't think a single program exists that will do that, but the NAM should have had a cleanitol file to be used with the cleanitol program ... it will search all your plugins folder and remove anything that conflicits with the NAM.

Introducing the BSC Cleanitol TM...A simple yet elegant solution for cleaning up duplicate dependencies. No more hunting through megabytes of packs looking for out of date files. The BSC Cleanitol TM works by relocating redundant files into a backup location away from your plugins folder. It will also move JPG, TXT and HTML files that have been placed into the plugins folder by manual installationsquote>

The program can be found on the LEX here

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=97

That doesn't help with your custom plugins unforunately, but it might give you an indication of what to look for within your custom plugins

There is also the SC4 Dat Packer which is designed to to make mega pack from your plugins subfolders, it doesn't dat pack anything that has a duplicate TGI, but it won't remove them from your plugins folder, this is on the LEX here

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=26

hope that helps

4.gif

Hi toroca,

wow, you've been out of the loop for quite a while indeed - welcome back! 4.gif Regarding your question, I'm not sure if there's a tool that does an ID-based scan of your plugins folder. They might be some internal tools that have been developed, but I don't think any of those made it into the public. As Catty mentioned, there's "BSC Cleanitol" that will scan your plugins and remove outdated/incompatible files based on a "blacklist" that is provided (i. e. a pretty extensive one comes with the NAM), but those lists are maintained manually, and are probably never complete. Usually, it helps quite a bit, though. You might want to ask your question at http://www.sc4devotion.com, too, as quite a few modders (including the NAM Team) have relocated their main activity to this place.