Sign in to follow this  
bbdb

To all the modders!

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is the modding for SC4 easier to do than Cities XL? Almost everyday there's a new mod out there for

SC4. I have both games. Hoping to see some more for Cities XL soon.

We first need to get the tools from Focus HI to make buildings, but what we can do, is unlocking hidden files containing features never released by the developer.

We first need tools before we can make any mods. We can already change building/road properties, textures and unlock things, but we still can't make any new models for CXL, since we have no tool to convert models from i.e. 3dsMax to the CXL-model file format. That there are so many mods for SC4 is mainly due to the many tools we have over the past 6 years: the Maxis BAT Tool, PIM, Lot Editor, iLive's Reader (any SC4-modder must-have), SC4Tool, SC4 Plugin Manager, PIM-X, some more texture conversion tools and more tools are still to come. CXL has a long way to go in that point of view, but fortunately there are some modding tools (like the Cities XL PakUnpak0, although these are quite limited

Also, I've done some modding for both SC4 and CXL09 myself (I don't have CXL11) and to me it's a bit harder to mod than SC4. Note that SC4 and CXL are two completely different games with completely different code architecture, and therefore the tools for both games are not interchangeable.

I hope this makes the whole situation more clear to you.

Best,

Maarten

bbdb    0
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: mrtnrln

We first need tools before we can make any mods. We can already change building/road properties, textures and unlock things, but we still can't make any new models for CXL, since we have no tool to convert models from i.e. 3dsMax to the CXL-model file format. That there are so many mods for SC4 is mainly due to the many tools we have over the past 6 years: the Maxis BAT Tool, PIM, Lot Editor, iLive's Reader (any SC4-modder must-have), SC4Tool, SC4 Plugin Manager, PIM-X, some more texture conversion tools and more tools are still to come. CXL has a long way to go in that point of view, but fortunately there are some modding tools (like the Cities XL PakUnpak0, although these are quite limited

Also, I've done some modding for both SC4 and CXL09 myself (I don't have CXL11) and to me it's a bit harder to mod than SC4. Note that SC4 and CXL are two completely different games with completely different code architecture, and therefore the tools for both games are not interchangeable.

I hope this makes the whole situation more clear to you.

Best,

Maartenquote>

I have seen your work. Very good. I like the Light Replacement Mod Version 1. Are you thinking of doing a version 2?

I kind of figured that was the reasoning. I think that if CXL had incorporated somethings that SC4 has, it would

be a better game.