Sign in to follow this  
histrydude

Airport question

9 posts in this topic

I built a municipal airport some time ago and there was always plans flying in and out.  Then one day I stopped seeing activity.  There are not even any plans on the ground.  When I click it, I am told that there are X number of flights regularly and I am under capacity.  It is not gray, but shiny and vacant looking.  Are the stats wrong and there really is no activity?  If so, what could be the problem?  Crime?  Could it be that I used the "fightthepower" cheat and then destroyed my power plant? 

And I am not sure if this is related, but once my population went over 100K, my city has been stagnant.  My population is anywhere between 110,000 and 120,000 (I think it topped out at about 125K).  My transportation, polution, crime, etc is all looking good and there is high desireability everywhere.  (Crime and desireability near the airport is bad though).  I do have many comercial buildings going vacant as well as some HD residential buildins.  Could this be all airport related?

Thanks.

OK, update. I built a power plant next to the airport and the planes came back. The problem now is i can't figure out a way to power just the airport since it needs a road connected to it. This automatically connects the power plant to the entire city and if I fund the plant enough for the entire city, my budget is in the red. If it is underfunded, parts of my city do not get power. This is not such a big deal since I use the cheat 'fighthepower" - but parts of the airport lose power too and thus there are no planes. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Is there a power plant for the rest of the city? If so, can you use power lines to connect the airport to a zone with power? I don't know how much power the airport uses, but you shouldn't have t oraise funding that much to power the airport also.

I wasn't powering the city. I was using the "fightthepower" cheat. I would like to be able to power the airport without powering the rest of the city which seams impossible because the airport has to be connected via the roads and so that transmits the power to the rest of the city and thus requires a ton. If I use a Hydrogen plant, it puts me way in the red. Other than that, in order to get enough power I need FOUR oils plants which is ridiculous and won't last forever; pretty soon I'll need 5.

Try placing a wind power plant touching the airport. I've never used fightthepower, but, it means the city doesn't need power, right? Does placing a power plant negate the cheat?

And I know this is kind of off-topic, but if you are using the cheat to save all of the power money, try using this mod. It saves TONS of money (almost a cheat) and this problem should be solved. Just ignore it if you want to use the cheat or don't use mods, though. 3.gif

@SC4BOY - I don't have any zones touching the airport, just roads and a subway line. I do have a landfill to the right of it though, against the edge of the city and I was able to dezone the edge against the airport and still no difference. It wants to power the entire city.

@Timewarptrio - I tried wind power and it powers a portion of the airport and then surrounding areas. I added a bunch of other windmills and it kept denying my entire airport full power. yes, fightthepower means the city doesn't require power, but you have to listen to your utility adviser yelling at you all the time about needing more juice and calling you the prince of darkness...he's an annoying jerk. I will try that Mod and see how it goes. Thanks.

Try the power conservation act in the Radical Ordinance Mod. It gets down all power requirements to 5%, so you can build a powerful plant, I use the PEG solar panel very often, as it's small and techno. For a 350.000 city I would need about 3. Believe me, it's better than hearing (reading actually) the utility advisor becoming a pain in the a... LOL

Could you tell me how many citizens, C-jobs and I-jobs you have (check the city description in the regional view)?

And perhaps your expenses and income+tax rates too?

It should be clear that every single building -even parks- needs power. As far as I can tell, your city hasn't got enough money to sustain power plants, but that should be your first priority. I guess that your priorities lay with secondary utilities/buildings; remember: for a city to grow, you will only need electricity and for a city to grow in terms of wealth, you will need things like healthcare, education and safety. It is the latter which causes great expenses.