Sign in to follow this  
G

Annoyance with freshly starting cities

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

G    0

Let's get to it immediately: I have a developing region. I tried building a small suburban-ish city on a small coastline tile and zoned most of the town with 1x1 house lots (I have lots of custom buildings for that lot size). Then I start the city and.... Voilá! Two houses grew out of the ground: Those that were on 1x2 lots... I observed it earlier already, but it only became apparent now that, for some reason, in a fresh city, 1x1 houses refuse to grow for me, even if the region is kind of developed (and if my memory serves me right, the growth stage of buildings depends on the population of the region), so... I have no clue why 1x1 houses refuse to grow on a fresh city tile. It's getting really annoying.

Originally posted by: Géza!

I have no clue why 1x1 houses refuse to grow on a fresh city tile. It's getting really annoying.

quote>

I, too, have had this issue... part of it was because I did not have any 1x1 low wealth residential (back to the 'exchanges' to download more custom contnent! 9.gif )... and the other part that helped was to choose "Build All Styles At Once"  as well as making sure all 'Building Styles' were selected.

It made for a 'crazy' mix of buildings... but I didn't care... I was happy to see my city growing! 2.gif

Good luck!

The reason that few 1x1 homes will appear in a new city tile is that the growth stage of 1x1 buildings is generally, but not always, quite high: from about stage 3 upwards.

Such houses tend to occupy most of the 1x1 tile, and are therefore suited to higher densities.

When your city starts out, it requires houses of a lower stage (1,2 and 3) and lower density. This demand is generally met by houses on larger blocks which have this stage.

Back on topic, a 1 x 1 lot will usually be occupied by a R$$ family.  In a new city, you need R$ accommodation and should zone for high-rises.  The 1 x 1 sections will come later with better education or more immigration.

The demand graph shows what wealth levels you need, not what to zone.  R$ generally live in people heaps because they don't have cars and they need buses, too.

G    0
  • Original Poster
  • So the growth stage doesn't match... But I thought the maximal growth stage of buildings is determined by the region's population...

Edit: Or does the region's size and the neighboring cities' development only affect the RCI demand?

I believe it doesn't effect the growth "stage". If your city has less than 1'500 jobs or inhabitants, it won't unlock.

From mods that forcibly 'add' an amount of jobs I can say that if your town has more than 1'500 commercial or industrial (but not a combined total) jobs it will unlock the next phase, even if you have 20 inhabitants. So, somehow having a developed region will effect the stage, though not directly.