Sign in to follow this  
gebx

Most Disorganized I've Ever Seen

5 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

New to the game, deciced to try it out (last time I seriously played a Simcity game was the original).

I accidently deleted the New York Region (oops, ***** mistake), I figured I could just reinstall the game and get it back or I could look online and find it (and maybe other regions).

I found this site and region maps, and then it got confusing...

I downloaded  "right clicked and saved" two maps and their bmp next to it, but before that I had to find instructions and see if I was missing anything (more searching), I realized my maps didn't come with config files so I had to do another search and figure out where to find those (more searching), and I found out I had to create those on my own...

I'm giving up really.. I'm a casual player, if I need something (mod, expansion, etc) I look online, I download it and it usually comes with instructions or is pretty forward. This downloading INCOMPLETE map packages is bullcrap, why make someone download your incomplete map and then have them figure out a config file... just attach the thing, make it easy. Why aren't the instuctions on how to download hidden in the forum? why isn't there a quick link on the side with all the answers a new person could look?

/rant

There are many guides on this site to help new (and old) users. Many of these are in the Omnibus section of the site or in many of the pinned topics at the top of each subforum. For instance, there is a tutorial on downloading maps HERE.

Though from the absolute newbie's perspective, he does make several valid points, and uploaders and the layout of the site could make it easier for new players to jump into custom content. However, know that we're also here to help you if you're having trouble, and there are a few guides that might help you out. Most answers can be found on the Omnibus, others by searching the forum (with Google Custom Search, might I add). Jim posted a guide on installing maps, and there's also a guide on installing lots, buildings, and mods, and remember that we have a forum for New Member Information.

The STEX is rigidly monitored, so the stuff is there.  You do need to spend some time in the Omnibus. 

My maps are packaged in .zip files, complete.  You should be able to download them, unpack them and move the components into your region subfolder then do a render (CTRL+ALT+Shift+r) after opening the region in the game. 

Some use other software, and you have to be aware of what's on the download page, and still older ones you pick off the .jpg map and the config.bmp by ritght click and save.

Moved to Mapping Community Room.

With the various version changes of the STEX over the years, methods may change for doing things on the site. Even different browsers may behave differently, and there are different ways to create maps now. The question of downloading maps does come up periodically, so always feel free to ask when issues arise. Is there a particular map you're trying to get?

Also, for future reference, if a Maxis default map is accidently deleted, there are original copies in the Program Files/Maxis/Regions folder that can be copy/pasted into the Documents Regions folder. Reinstalling is not necessary.