Sign in to follow this  
Moonraker0

I need Sims to commute across an entire large tile.

I need to have sims commute from a residential/commercial city, cross through an empty city tile (empty except for transportation networks), and traverse the majority of a third tile to get to an industrial zone there.  Naturally, they won't do this, and they just sit there and show no job zots.  Is this at all possible?  I was once told that they would go as far as necessary to get to jobs with Simulator Z, but clearly this is not the case;  did the NAM team remove this feature from the Unified Traffic Simulator or something?  The methods of transport currently available to them are a two-tile rail line and a multi-RHW-16.  The only jobs they're taking are those at the rail stations.  As a restatement, I'm using the latest NAM.

6ylqbrqqfr7w44pg7sbw.png

Not sure if this will be the same situation as yours. but I once 'experimented' with this type of situation using the regular Maxis highways - maybe before NAM, for sure before the last couple versions. I found simply running a highway across an empty city didn't accomplish the goal. I had to provide what might be called "jump start" jobs on the empty tiles before Sims would enter. Once they did, I could demolish the existing jobs, and they would continue on through to the next city. This, of course was a lot of saving and flipping between cities for the simulator to equalize, but it was possible.

Again, don't know if this would be the same as using rail or RHW, as in your case, but I thought I would offer it up...

Later: I got curious as to how RHW would handle this. I ran RHW-4 across four medium cities, but had to use same method described above with the "jump-start" jobs.

Yes, I did the same sort of test.  I had to put at least one 2 x 1 commercial lot and a bus stop beside the road.  Once the flow starts, all is well,  I did not remove my "truck stop".

Thanks, everyone, I plopped an inconspicuous lot with jobs in the middle city and suddenly all the "no job" zots vanished and everyone started riding the train to the industrial city. No RHW traffic yet, though, but I assume this is just because it's a slower mode of transport and the highway route is much less direct than the railway.

Originally posted by: Moonraker0

...No RHW traffic yet, though, but I assume this is just because it's a slower mode of transport and the highway route is much less direct than the railway.quote>

Don't forget - the RHW connections need to use the "Neighbor Connections" pieces to have traffic flow.

Yes, I do have these, it's just that the RHW is mostly squarish in its path through the city, whereas the rail line goes diagonal through the first/residential city and is a more direct route. Probably, when there is a high enough population, Sims will use the RHW, or when I zone residential in an area where the onramp is more convenient to them than the station.

Exactly.  If you want to see what's going on, install the extra cheats dll, if you havent, the pause your game, and use the command box to turn on the pathing display. {CTRL+XdrawpathsRETURN}.  hidepaths turns this off.  You can run with the pathing display on, but it won't change unless you grow something or install more network.