Sign in to follow this  
Timewarptrio

Mods without Mods

7 posts in this topic

I have mods/plugins on my PC at home, but I also play in school. What happens to all of my modded things (SAM streets, special lots, etc.) when I open my city in school, which has no plugins at all? Brown boxes?

Yes, lots of brown boxes.  You'l also have missing textures on those SAM streets.  You'll probably experience crashes if you try and query/bulldoze/redraw certain things too.  It's not advisable to open it without your plugin folder in tact... it won't look like your city at all 9.gif 

Originally posted by: Timewarptrio

I have mods/plugins on my PC at home, but I also play in school. What happens to all of my modded things (SAM streets, special lots, etc.) when I open my city in school, which has no plugins at all? Brown boxes?

quote>

You shouldn't be playing in school unless you are in a study period.  IN any case, you can't continue a city from your home system because you don't have all the data.

If your school works anything like the one I taught in, you are courting a suspension.  Besides, the server people will wipe out anything you put on your "C" drive weekly.  If they don't they are not operating a very good network.

One of the things I really hated as a teacher of computer subjects is the s/a's who played games when I was teaching.  They often wondered why they couldn't do the assignments, especially the ones that were not in the textbook.

LOL, my school is a lot different. Well, I'm in a club, and one of the things we do is play simcity. It's fine 2.gif The teachers also want to start a simcity club.

And also, at that school Did they have computers in every class? Because where I go, there is only one computer room, and some laptops throughout the school. We can't use them while they're teaching, really.

Maybe I'll make a non-modded version of the city to play in school XD

You'd have to find a way to bring your plugins folder with you if you wanted to play a modded city. However, if your school's anything at all like mine, you won't be able to store any mods in the My Documents folder.

Well, not only were there computers in all class rooms but we had a wifi network over the whole school:  Georgian College of Applied Arts and Technologies in Barrie, Ontario.  Most students had laptops and the school had a deal with IBM to supply them at a big discount for students.  There was actually a computer store run by the college on the second floor of the administration building.  (The book store was right underneath it).  The year I left, we built a new library building with classrooms all around the main room, and everything had plugins or wifi available (usually both).  Students wanting access to the school net had to have the software loaded by the computer group in admin.  Novell netware.

The servers were initialized weekly, and the Internet was policed pretty hard.  In this case, if you had your own laptop, the school could not keep you from bringing your games to school, but it was asking for trouble if you were caught gaming during a lecture or a supervised lab.  Anyone who infected a server with a virus that didn't get caught by the system was hunted down like a criminal.  The school used McAfee, and it is pretty good.  I used it at home until I switched to Linux, when I switched to CLAMAV.

All of the classrooms were fitted with projectors, and all I had to do was plugin, turn on, and load my demo programs or presentations.

There is nothing like a big, publicly funded school of technology for computer gear.  We even had a course that gave you Cisco qualifications for network management.  This was very much a locked lab.

That school sounds nice, but I'm not in college yet 2.gif That's probably why they're so different.

I think that it would be cool if teachers could find a way to relate SimCity to education, and one of my science teachers is trying to do just that.