Sign in to follow this  
paroxysm

Windows 7 Install Error

Well, I've recently purchased a new laptop after my old, Vista-equipped laptop caught fire (long story), and, naturally, the first thing I do is install SimCity4.  So I'm sitting there, I've just put the next disk in, and it seems to stop on 'Current File: SimCity_1.dat."

So I click on it, and it goes "Not Responding."  I can't get rid of it unless I hold down the power button and shut down.  Can't even end the process.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Shouldn't be a problem, but I have had a similar thing happen on a different system.  What exanctly are you installing?  Are you putting in SC4+RH or installing Deluxe?  How old are your disks?  Did you check for scratches on the disk surface?  Was the disk in the laptop that caught fire?

Let's see. I'm installing Deluxe, my disks are from ~2006, the surfaces are scratch-free, and there were no disks in my poor old burned laptop.

How many times have you tried it?  Next time, try cleaning the disks by wiping them from centre to edge with a soft clean cloth.  Use radial motions, not circular.  This will remove any fingerprints or other grease and may help.

The program should not hang like that.  "Not responding" generally means the program has gone into a loop and is not looking for any inputs.  If it happens again, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get into the task manager, find the program, right click on it, and terminate it.  You do not have to boot your machine.

Well, I've taken a closer look at Disc 2 and realised that it's got a large and nasty-looking scratch from the centre to the outside. I've cleaned it as Nonny suggested, tried it and failed, then I used a special disc repair tool I purchased years ago, tried it, failed, and now I've just borrowed a friend's disc to install.

So everything is fine, and I appreciate the help.

Before you change anything, I would make an archive of the Program Files/Maxis section of your install area and put it away somewhere safe.  This archive could include the Maxis sections of your registry as well as one or more .reg files.  With these, you should be able to restore your game if it is lost again.  Of course you should do the updates first.

Hope this saves you and/or someone else with this problem. I was having similar issues installing on 7 as well.....then I realized I was trying to install disk 2 first. (duh! right?)

Put in disk 1, installed correctly, now it runs like a champ with no problems!

Hey there!

your problem is probebly the disk what a nonny moose saids.

but I have windows 7 too And I run it perfect on 32-Bit.

Maybe your 62-Bit can be the problem? :/