Sign in to follow this  
Manick2005

Need new ideas for city (suburb) design

Is there any place on this site, or anywhere else, that may be able to give me some good design ideas for how to place my buildings, layout neighborhoods, setup my road network, etc?...  I am trying to make a city that I can look at without boring myself to death and actually be proud of, rather than just a functional one.  I am currently trying to make a profitable suburb on a large map and I am starting to quickly run out of ideas on how to make it look nice.  It's difficult to get any significant income when I don't do a typical (and boring) grid and high density city.

I think that the City Journals (CJs) on the city would be great for that, because they all look awesome. Also addons like NAM, SAM, NWM, and some other textures help with realism. I want to take a realistic town too, and I think that will be my next city 2.gif

How many texture related mods are there out there?  I have a texture mod for the territory, and cliffs, but the water and my beaches look really bland.  Beaches don't look like beaches anymore.

There are tons of textures out there, like this water mod. I don't know how well, that looks, because I've never used it. This looks good too.

The same for beaches. Search on the STEX, I see tons of them! I'm gonna use a water mod 2.gif

BTW, can I see a pic of your city? 43.gif

Same question.  It looks like a canal.

If I were doing this, I would open by creating a residential pod in the open space at the north east, laid out as you like it, connected with either a highway or rail, and go from there.  It will need a shopping concourse of some kind, but nothing fancy.  Probably one road with a 6 x 6 mall and a few other stores.  RTMT stations will help this a lot, but remember that in residential areas, they block access if placed in front of a lot.  A little care can fix this, or you can use actual bus stop lots, of which there are plenty in the RTMT.

I am probably not the best exponent of style.  Most of my cities grow like Topsy from some base pod or idea.  Here is a shot of my Inner Harbour city.

innerharbour.jpg

You can see that I have added a couple of suburban areas in the north.  Both of these are connected by rail to the two small tiles above them.  The western one is a pretty normal city with high Tech industry, but the one to the east is purely residential with a little commercial.  The whole region is based on an idea I have for a big harbor with auxiliiary feeders.

Hmm I would recommend browsing through google maps to see how some suburbs are mind bogglingly lain out around the world. See what land features there are on your map to work with too. Or maybe start with a park or something to centre your suburb around. I also sometime just like to draw out odd shapes with streets that will fit houses first and then zone it all in.

From looking at your photo I would say that you can add in plans for some spots with coastal development. Pegasus has a huge amount of stuff for this which includes a series of Old Wooden Waterfront lots; you can find those at SimPeg on the exchange there and I believe they can be found on the STEX too under OWW2. Another thing with the developments you dont need to adhere to strict rules about distances and NIMBY effects; the power plants and garbage dumps are ok in the city the development around them will just have a bit of polution but it tapers off reasonably quickly especially with mayor mode trees added in(author 'cycledogg' makes some great trees on the STEX). Your suburbs also seem to be very podlike; feel free to start with a basic shape that satisfies demand and then just add random bits as needed to fill further demand kind of like a Frankenstein monster.

My basic advice to sum all of that up is to approach it from a different angle, change the rules for each one and don't feel like what you have put down is set in stone because the game is basically an infinite loop ever changing.

What I do for realistic suburbs is to make main streets that then branch out into sub streets, continuing on until I have something that looks like a suburb.

See these pics I took if you need a visual of what I'm talking about:

hampton-aug._30__181293771044.jpg

hampton-sep._16__181293771150.jpg