Sign in to follow this  
Karbon

Forcing flora to overlap

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is it possible to force (or modify) the flora in-game to overlap other flora (e.g. placing a tree over a large shrub)? I ask this mainly because some custom trees occupy a disproportionate amount of space, and if I could it would also make my transitions (e.g. edge of a prairie) and forest floors more realistic.

As a note, I've noticed that SimFox's flora already occupy almost nil space, allowing them to overlap.

I think you should be able to modify the Occupant Size property in the prop .desc file using Ilive's Reader.  It's normally set to the size of the LODs, but you can shrink it to almost juat a dot on the lot editor.  I do this  when I make props so that I can plop trees on top or very close to them.  I guess you should be able to do the same for existing flora props in mayor mode ploppables.... I could easily be wrong though.  Modding isn't my forté 9.gif 

Just be careful when you tinker with existing files.  Make a backup first so you can reverse any changes you make if it doesn't work.  

Karbon    0
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: psander5

I think you should be able to modify the Occupant Size property in the prop .desc file using Ilive's Reader.  It's normally set to the size of the LODs, but you can shrink it to almost juat a dot on the lot editor.  I do this  when I make props so that I can plop trees on top or very close to them.  I guess you should be able to do the same for existing flora props in mayor mode ploppables.... I could easily be wrong though.  Modding isn't my forté  

Just be careful when you tinker with existing files.  Make a backup first so you can reverse any changes you make if it doesn't work.  quote>

Unless I'm missing something, it seems that the CPT trees have no associated sc4desc files?

Sorry, it might be above my head to mod that file.   I saw the screenshot you posted before you edited 9.gif  The file you had open was just a bunch of model files packed into a .DAT file.  I checked the tree controller file for Cycledogg's trees (which uses the models in the .DAT file you had open), but I couldn't find any exemplars that had an Occupant Size property.  It might be that flora is different to ordinary props in this respect.  

I know it works with ordinary props, but you might have to wait for a flora expert to see this to get a proper answer.  

Sorry I couldn't help.  

Karbon    0
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: psander5

Sorry, it might be above my head to mod that file.   I saw the screenshot you posted before you edited  The file you had open was just a bunch of model files packed into a .DAT file.  I checked the tree controller file for Cycledogg's trees (which uses the models in the .DAT file you had open), but I couldn't find any exemplars that had an Occupant Size property.  It might be that flora is different to ordinary props in this respect.  

I know it works with ordinary props, but you might have to wait for a flora expert to see this to get a proper answer.  

Sorry I couldn't help.  

quote>

That's ok, thanks.

*waits*