Sign in to follow this  
jeepdays

Trouble installing new regions

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have tried to install this region (http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=5315) with this config.bmp (http://www.ussdragonstar.com/simcity4/terrainsite/configs/all-large.bmp) After spending the better part of an hour reading on how to install this region, I finally got SimCity4 to do something when I attempt to render it. It claims that the jpeg is too large (2056x2056) and needs to be resized to 1025x1025. I did that and everytime I attempt to render it there is no action at all. What is the problem here?

I have the deluxe edition from steam, and my computer is more than capable of handling SimCity 4. Also I am running windows 7 x64. 

Welcome to Simtropolis, jeepdays

It appears that you new config file isn't the correct size to match the jpg grayscale file. If they don't match up, that is the error the will pop up.

To get the proper size to amtch the grayscale, subtract one pixel from the grayscale dimensions and divide by 64. That will give you the dimensions that the config file needs to be. From the map, the grayscale is 2049 x 2049 pixels, which means the config is 32 x 32. From your link, your new config is only 20 x 20.

Is there some reason your are making your own config rather than using the one in the download?

jeepdays    0
  • Original Poster
  • Thanks for addressing my question!

I grabbed the config file form someones website, but more importantly, I know what the error is now. As for the correct config file, I did not see anywhere on the link I posted on where I could download a corresponding config file. I read the directions and searched for it with no avail. Could you direct me to it? That would be most excellent!

To get the config file, right-click on the blue square on the download listing. Then select "Save Image As..." That will allow you to save it as the correct size.

A grayscale of 2056x2056 is not a properly sized grayscale.  It needs to be divisible by 64 after you subtract 1 from each side.

The ratios of the grayscale to the config.bmp is 64 pixels plus one pixel, for each pixel of the config file.  That applies to each side of the image files.

When I load the jpg. in the game to load the region it does nothing. I use a new Macbook and I downloaded this map http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26156-dragons-mouth/. It showed a config. file and thats it. so I did all steps need to install region, but I right clicked on the image of the map on the website page showing the map info and the download button and I pressed "save image as" and saved it to my new region folder as the region name with jpg. at the end.

Edited by MrEffectify