Sign in to follow this  
Dennislp3

"Real World" Mods

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am looking for som mods/retextures that bring simcity more in line with real life by adding real world counterparts into the game (IE. stores and restuaraunts like walmart, mcdonalds, burgerking, kroger etc). Are there any out there?

I would prefer if there was a collection or all encompasing one. But if I must download a large amount of smaller mods to achieve this it will be fine.

Also, What is considered to be the best/biggest single retexture mod? I am looking for something that can update the graphics of the game a little.

Finally, and most important, are there any "essential" mods I should get? Namely any bug fixes (beside the official patch) or anything like that?

Originally posted by: Dennislp3

I am looking for som mods/retextures that bring simcity more in line with real life by adding real world counterparts into the game (IE. stores and restuaraunts like walmart, mcdonalds, burgerking, kroger etc). Are there any out there?

I would prefer if there was a collection or all encompasing one. But if I must download a large amount of smaller mods to achieve this it will be fine.quote>

The one I know for sure is Simgoober. Many of his works have been merged into a handful of downloads based on type. You'll need to look for them on the LEX where you'll need to be registered if not. As for others who have consolidated there works into single downloads, I can't say for sure, but others may be along to help out.

Also, What is considered to be the best/biggest single retexture mod? I am looking for something that can update the graphics of the game a little.quote>

If your looking for something like a terrain mod, your best bet (my opinion) would be to look at those made by Cycledogg. He has produced several. Anywhere from desert to lush and green. Just search "Cycledogg" on the STEX.

Finally, and most important, are there any "essential" mods I should get? Namely any bug fixes (beside the official patch) or anything like that?quote>

The one mod that might be considered 'essential' by most, would be the Network Addon Mod (NAM). This modifies the game's simulator to make existing transit function more realistic and 'fixes' issues that existed in the game's original simulator. It also adds transit options to the game either with it's core files or the various addons that exist. You can find the items offered by the NAM Team here (Link). Again, this is a game mod, so not everyone may agree that it is 'essential.'

Also, here is a similar thread you might look through to get some other suggestions... (Link).

Hope this gets things going for you...

Welcome to Simtropolis.

Remember that this is a game, and that the sprites in the animation are out of proportion to the real world.  Most of them would be nine feet tall if they were scaled up.  Most poeple who do BAT work are aware of this, and it is mentioned in the BAT tutorial.

Before you start hauling masses of plugins into your game, you should make a few personal rules to control and test them.  You must avoid the "Gee wiz, that looks nice, gimme it" syndrome or you will be innundated with stuff you really don't need or want in the end.  Then you have to weed it out.

After you pull in and carefully install the NAM, create a sandbox region for yourself (just open a new region and call it Sandbox), and go get familiar with all the features.  The NAM is very large, and you really need to understand it.  There are many additional things that can be added that depend on it  like the SAM, the NWM, and the RHW to name the principal ones.  Watch out for alphabet soup.  You will be jargoned to death.  Here are the definitions for the stuff above.

NAM - Network Addon Mod - IMHO untterly essential

S\AM - Street Addon Mod - change textures for streets

NWM - Network Widenting Mod - New avenues with turning lanes, and medianless ones.  Fancy one way roads.

RHW - Real Highway Mod - very realistic highways modeled after some of the U.S. intersttes.  Finiky, but worth it.

There is several volumes of documentation and you should find a comfy spot to read them over.  It may take you a while to absorb some of this, which is why I suggest playing in a Sandbox with the writing in hand.

Other terms you will lrun into:

STEX - The Simtropolis Exchange

LEX - the Lot Excahnge at SimCity4Devotiion (SC4D)

PLEX - the Pegasus Lot Exchange at Pegasus Productions.

The latter two require you to register, but it is all free.

Another mod worth a look is the Roat Top Mass Transit mod (RTMT).  Places bus/subway stops on the roads instead of on separate lots.

All of this stuff is work in progress, and there are threads over in the modding section for most of them.  You need to keep in tourch to have the latest updates and fixes.  As you become more adept, you may want to do yoru own BATs or mods.  The Omnibus is the place to start on that.

NOTE:  I just reviewed your post.  None of this stuff will work unless you meet the requirements:

1. You must have installed the updates for EP1 and, preferrably, the BATupdate from the EA home site
  2. You must be running either Rush Hour or Delux

Dennislp3    2
  • Original Poster
  • Luckily I do have the sense to poke around and read stuff before jumping in headlong. I read the getting started thread and I have deluxe + update + BAT update. I have downloaded so far NAM (working on getting the addons for it now) and mostly just lots from Simgoober + dependancies (hoping that by having mods from pretty much one person will help keep it clean and simple...plus I dont need much more).

Thanks for the NAM tip...I noticed there are lots of features and I didnt think of using that method (as basic as it is) to get accustomed to it.

You are welcome.  Most people these days think computers are magic and things don't need testing.  But they don't don't understand that this a general purpose tool, and there is a learning curve of major proportions before you can use it properly. 

The nearest analog to owning a computer that I can think of is owning a router without an instruction book or a teacher.  There are some cuts you just can't make without fooling around a bit first.  The more you know, the better your work.