Sign in to follow this  
figuremeout

So I'm looking to start a steampunk city...

So I was thinking, after playing SimCity 4 since it has been first released on PC and now playing it on my Macbook Pro for the past 2 years, I've grown to love the game more than I've ever have in the past with previous versions. I'm new to the site and the universe of downloads, so I would consider this as my introduction to the Simtropolis Forums as a undertaking only to further improve my skills in this awesome game.

Now, outside of SC4, I'm an illustrator that spends my days thinking and sketching out ideas for games, movies, etc. and have always taken to my hobbies and games I play as inspiring. Playing SC4 has brought about a passion and understanding for the city I live in, Detroit. Which brings me to my proposal, if not the beginnings of a great CJ story.

With Detroit being such a great inspiration all around me, I always envisioned this city if it had never "died". Picture Detroit at its height, without ever having demolished the majority of its history, yet still at the height of modern day technology. The thought started me on the path of building a massively industrial and Victorian-inspired cityscape.So I saw a skyline of grand Victorian inspired skyscrapers and neo-classical brick buildings towering over the streets of my cities in SC4, with a steampunk flair of billowing steam chimneys, exposed pipes, and fantastic industrial machinery. I know SC4 does offer "Chicago 1894", but its not enough for the traffic, the civic buildings, etc. to really feel like the height of a world both Jules Verne and Doctor Who could live in.

Can anyone help me point this idea towards reality?

If i was you I would take a look at cjs to get more inspiration and some ideas, use google earth to see how the city , in this case detroit, is growing ( I take some ideas from there, since i don't live in US but I'm trying to build looking like US, mainly suburbs), go to parts of the city you maybe never have been yet and i also think you must download some content from STEX and LEX ( SC4devotion). Hope it helps

If you are thinking of doing a historical Detroit, why not start in 1812 or so, when we gave it back to you in the peace treaty.  It seems like a fair foundation date.

You are not the only person thinking steampunk. I have some BAT projects on my list once I get a handle on the BAT that are very steampunk oriented. Here is a short list but don't hold your breath for these as I have many things on the plate in RL atm but if you can figure out the BAT yourself then you can make stuff too:

-a skyscraper: made in the brick fashion with many little exhaust pipes from stove units on each level. The showpiece of the tower however will be one side dedicated to a great brass elevator with many lift pods on a chainsaw ferris wheel type with some really big gears powered by a sunken steam steam engine with large brass pipes rising out of the ground.

- a university and supporting set of colleges: each college representing a mechanical aspect of steampunk; college of steam, college of gears, etc.

-----

for stuff that is already on the market the lex over at SC4devotion has a bunch of really nice brick industrial BATs. dont forget the compliment of victorian rail stations for the el-rail and the NAM-Viaducts. In fact I might say that trains may be very good for a steam CJ just be sure to find a good train skin mod.

Originally posted by: mightygoose

go find endora on sc4devotion, i don't like mentioning other sites, but it is a must read for anyone attempting steampunk sc4.quote>

Where's the link for it?

OMG!!!!  THAT IS THE BEST CJ I EVER SEEN!!!!

I've checked Endora too, and I've felt SO bad I hadn't discovered it when it was alive... I'm not into the steampunk movement, but I guess all mechanical engineers (I'm on the making) have some steampunk inside!

For you steampunk lovers, have you read the Lord D'Arcy stories by Randall Garrett?  Not only steam, but science, per se, is out the window.