Sign in to follow this  
Manick2005

What do I need to start having skyskrapers develop?

I've got a pretty high educated community and almost 200k citizens, as well as sufficient water, power, jobs, health, etc..  Almost everything is in high or satisfactory levels, and my mayor rating is high as well.  Do I just need more residents? 

There's no secret formula for getting skyscrapers, but having a big regional demand helps a lot. I mean that playing with a single city will be very difficult to get them. Try to develop all the adjacent cities to your main one, adding a kind of suburbs and forcing some commuters demand between your main city and this suburbs.

This usually works for me.

you also need a really good transportation/road system so that the traffic congestion is low which will create room for higher density buildings.

And if you want tall commecial buildings, make sure the road network forces traffic past the commercial lots.  It doesn't hurt to zone your commecial lots in 2 x 2 clusters of 2 x 2 lots.  Most tall buildings live on 4 x 4 lots, but I leave selection up to the simulator.  The program wants balance, and one of the ways to achieve it is to zone your commecial district between the industrial and residential, either on a single tile or adjacent tiles.

Stock exchange helps a lot for commercials, and be sure that you have dense zones, because skyscrapers grow only there.

Originally posted by: 9988

Stock exchange helps a lot for commercials, and be sure that you have dense zones, because skyscrapers grow only there.quote>

Does it matter where the stock exchange goes in the city, or does it affect the entire city? I just put one next to an international airport, but I'm not sure if I'm going to build commercial around the stock exhange.