Sign in to follow this  
Manick2005

Unable to create smooth 45/90 corners using RHW

I found a youtube video showing how to use NWM.RHW but all it really covered was how to expand its roads in one direction, and how to make intersections with its basic roads.  However I am trying to figure out how to change direction of three or more lane roads (that take up two tiles) and I can't seem to do it right.  Also, I figured out how to create intersections but the intersections that I created don't have any sort of traffic lights or anything.

I'm assuming you're talking about 3-lane one-way-roads (OWRs for short). I have only played around with the NWM a little, but from my understanding of it, multi-lane OWRs have limited or no turning capabilities. This is a brand new mod and there aren't a lot of features in it yet. As for intersections, OWR intersections aren't supposed to have traffic lights. Even the default OWR intersections don't. There's no need; traffic flows really easily because there's only two incoming directions and two outgoing directions.

He might be talking about the MAVEs, which I can't seem to make them work as well, works fine in a straight line but messes up when I want it to turn....

None of the Two-Tile NWM networks are capable of 90-degree or 45-degree curves yet. This is covered in the Readme I believe.

As far as I know, all the One-Tile networks (ARD-3, AVE-2, OWR-1, OWR-3) are perfectly capable of 90 and 45 degree turns.

@jdenm8

This guy did it.  At the very beginning of his video he is able to make a 45 degree wide curve with his two lane highway.  I don't have the option to do that.  Is it RHW or NWM that does that?  

The mod shown in that video is the RHW, not the NWM.  In fact, the NWM didn't exist yet when that video was made (2008). 

The RHW smooth curves are located under the RHW Curves menu.  There are only 45-degree curves and S-Curves for the RHW-4 network.  However, there are 90-degree curves for it--only the RHW-2 and MIS have 90-degree smooth curves.

As jdenm8 stated, the NWM's dual-tile networks (TLA-5, OWR-4, OWR-5, MAVE-4 and MAVE-6) cannot go diagonal or curve in the current version.  Diagonals take more time to figure out from a modding perspective, but they'll be in a future NWM release.

-Alex (Tarkus)

I love the song in that video...

I'm hoping diagonals for some of those get done some time, I love the TLA-5 and a few other ones... they look the most like the arteries in the town I live in.

Originally posted by: NitzWalsh

I'm hoping diagonals for some of those get done some time, I love the TLA-5 and a few other ones... they look the most like the arteries in the town I live in.quote>

Rest assured--they will. 4.gif  I might even be working on them already . . . 38.gif

-Alex (Tarkus)

Originally posted by: Tarkus

The mod shown in that video is the RHW, not the NWM.  In fact, the NWM didn't exist yet when that video was made (2008). 

The RHW smooth curves are located under the RHW Curves menu.  There are only 45-degree curves and S-Curves for the RHW-4 network.  However, there are 90-degree curves for it--only the RHW-2 and MIS have 90-degree smooth curves.

As jdenm8 stated, the NWM's dual-tile networks (TLA-5, OWR-4, OWR-5, MAVE-4 and MAVE-6) cannot go diagonal or curve in the current version.  Diagonals take more time to figure out from a modding perspective, but they'll be in a future NWM release.

-Alex (Tarkus)

quote>

Ok, I finally found it (not sure how I missed it before), but when I try to extend it, this happens.  It puts in a two-way extension instead of a one-way, two-lane.

63969393.th.jpg

Originally posted by: Manick2005

Ok, I finally found it (not sure how I missed it before), but when I try to extend it, this happens.  It puts in a two-way extension instead of a one-way, two-lane.

63969393.th.jpg

quote>

Yes, because it has base network stubs on the end instead of starter stubs.  This was done primarily to eliminate having to have a separate mirror version and avoid slope issues that starter stubs sometimes create.  Try building a non-smooth curve first using the draggable means, then plop the smooth curve over it--that's usually the way I do it.

-Alex (Tarkus)