Sign in to follow this  
OcramsRzr

TRON

After a thorough search, I could not find any threads devoted to TRON or any posts related to TRON. The SyFy thread is for SyFy channel but TRON has very little to do with SyFy.

The premise of TRON is that Kevin Flynn created a system on ENCOM computers based on his games Space Paranoids and TRON. In the first movie, a coworker steals his ideas and the MCP digitizes Flynn and traps him in the system he created to play his games Gladiator Style as Death Matches. There was a game based on that movie that took place in 2003. The new movie marks that game as non-cannon (takes place in an alternate universe). The new movie recently released in theaters and is available in 3D (including IMAX 3D!!!). There are also parodies floating around on the internet (including one by Barely Politcal, the group responsible for Obama Girl).

Discuss.

ETA: Now with Pictures!

Quorra:

Quorrra

Clu 2 (with black guard and Rinzler):

sons-team_clu.jpg

Flynns

Saw a short on TV on the Science Channel last night.  Some motorcycle designers have working prototypes of the weird lighted bikes.  Apparently for enough lucre they'll build you one.  They are working on a four-wheel version.

To be honest, I noticed no difference between wearing it with or without the glasses. For the first 15 minutes (real world) I forgot to wear my glasses. I saw no double image so I did not think it was 3D.

Originally posted by: Ilikeseattle

To be honest, I noticed no difference between wearing it with or without the glasses. For the first 15 minutes (real world) I forgot to wear my glasses. I saw no double image so I did not think it was 3D.quote>

I was tempted to get me a refund because of that. 11 bucks for matinee because it was 3D? and most of it wasnt?

Whats up with that?

I went and saw it and took the time to read the disclaimer before the start that said that not all scenes were 3d and that they intended those scenes to be seen that way. So they made the scenes 3d where it was going to be effective and not a waste of time and money.

All in all I really enjoyed the movie because it wasn't over the top but still felt suitably awe inspiring and without being dragged down by bleeding heart scenes.

Edit:

@Ilikeseattle: I hope you are implying that Tron has nothing to do with The SyFy network(true) and not that it is not Science Fiction(false). I am just confused by the statement I think and seeking clarification

I do think that the best part of this film is the soundtrack by Daft Punk...

The plot seems to be based on the original tron...

and if it's not that "awesome 3d experience"...

SyFy is a brand. Sci-Fi is short for Science Fiction, which is my favorite genre. TRON is in the Sci-Fi genre.

By the way, why did the program (Quorra) eat food (green beans). She was served Energy also but somehow she could digest vegetables. Or was the food converted into energy? I saw the Flynns drinking glowing drinks so Users must drink energy in this movie.

SyFy is a brand. Sci-Fi is short for Science Fiction, which is my favorite genre. TRON is in the Sci-Fi genre.

By the way, why did the program (Quorra) eat food (green beans). She was served Energy also but somehow she could digest vegetables. Or was the food converted into energy? I saw the Flynns drinking glowing drinks so Users must drink energy in this movie.

quote>

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

On the food thing well...it isn't like the food grows except in possibly digital form. Which really I suppose nothing would need to be consumed as everything would simply be powered by electricity running through the system. Food simply may be a symbolic force of habit and creation by Flynn to feel familiar in the digital world. As for the drinks at the bar...perhaps they would be concocted from lines of code that temporarily alter the state of a program to simulate intoxication and euphoria. That is just my musing on the subject.

In the original movie. Programs (and only programs) drank energy and consumed nothing else. Energy replenishes them in a way that just existing does not.

quote>

For us classicists, Sci-Fi is the plural of Scum-Fum.  The proper abbreviation for Science Fiction is SF.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

quote>

For us classicists, Sci-Fi is the plural of Scum-Fum.  The proper abbreviation for Science Fiction is SF.quote>

Says you.21.gif

Daft Punk is a very good musical group. I only recently learned that they are French and that they made Technologic (touch it, bring it babe, watch it, turn it, leave it, stop format it!). I liked the new movie so much I saw the original movie again. I might just buy the new game as well.