Sign in to follow this  
silvernightsky

Simcity 4 on 32-bit Vista?

Hello, I'm playing on buying SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. I know this game came out a long way before Windows Vista was released. However I looked at a few videos and some websites about this, and it looks like I'll need to make a few tweaks.

Here's my specs:

(Note: this is a laptop)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83 Ghz

RAM: 3 GB

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

Please give me any advice, tips, or information so when I get it, I can avoid crashes and other technical problems.

Thanks.

Also, should I update the game before playing? Should I also download any mods that might improve game compatiblity.

Simcity works just fine on my 32 bit Vista. You might have to set the affinity to one processor to avoid crashes. I didn't, but some people do that. As for updates, get all of them. The best mod to get is the NAM, which adds new tools to your transport network.

If you get a chance to try before you buy, do so. It is not vista that is the problem - whatever Microoft throws at you can be worked out - but the graphics chip.

Crashes can be minimized - I doubt that except for a lucky few they can be avoided altogether. Again, it is not necessarily Vista who is the culprit.

Granted, XP or Windows 7 would be better, and not just for the game, but heck, it is what you have. Make sure you get the latest DirectX (not required by the game, but it does aid the graphics chip.

Start with software acceleration, no sound, and - if your laptop has a non-standard resolution - add the Custom Resolution switch to the game's shortcut. There are turorials on this in the Omnibus and at SC4 Devotion.

And no, don't get all the cool stuff right away. Make sure that the plain vanila game runs first. And do get the updates from EA, again, check the Omnibus for details: walk before you run and leap.

I have a Vista 32 bit computer with the same specifications. And I do what everybody else does and also have it running in compatibility mode for windows XP and it rarely crashes.

It doesn't crash that much running on Vista anyway but by doing things mentioned here you can minimize crashes.

Originally posted by: Jamesrules90

I have a Vista 32 bit computer with the same specifications. And I do what everybody else does and also have it running in compatibility mode for windows XP and it rarely crashes.

It doesn't crash that much running on Vista anyway but by doing things mentioned here you can minimize crashes.quote>

What settings do you play it at? Do you use software or hardware for rendering?

I have Vista 32-bit but I can't run SimCity 4 Deluxe in windowed mode. I tried a few times, but it just won't work.

I have set the custom resolution to 1366x768 (16:9) but my computer uses a native resolution of 1680x1050 (16:10/8:5)

So run in full screen.  The game is not really wonderful in windowed mode, as you get an extra layer of software and it isn't very happy with that.