Sign in to follow this  
mhamilton

crashes only when playing one city

I've been playing SC4 Deluxe for a few months now with no issues at all, have the latest updates.  My main city is just getting pretty far along: 260k res, 100k commercial, 10k industrial, filling up the 2nd largest map.  Everything was going fine until I started remodeling one section of the city to place a boulevard, and now suddenly it crashes ever 5 minutes to the desktop.  Still plays any other city without any issues.  I can play the large city on pause, but as soon as  I run the simulator it crashes.  

I've tried turning down graphics quality, etc.  Nothing changes, after exactly 5 minutes I get a black screen and it's done.  Have I just run out of resources for the simulator? Please don't tell me my city is corrupt :-(  Is there anything else I can try? I've read most of the CTD threads, but nothing that's specific to one city crashing.

A couple things you might mention... Do you or have you used any downloaded custom content? If so, have you added or removed anything recently? Also, you might mention your computer specifications. Let us know...

The only thing I currently have is the Grand Railroad fix. Everything else is what came with the game. There are 2 bugs in this city, but they were not affecting play any time in the past. One is the landfill, I have a couple boxes that I couldn't get rid of even with the garbage hacks (and that addon is removed). The other is with the Grand Railroad--I built it and then had to bulldoze to move it, but it messed up and bulldozed only half, yet it's still functioning? IDK, I couldn't find anything in my searches related to that bug.

My computer's an older Dell, Celeron D 2.5GHz, 512mb ram, onboard video. All other apps are closed when playing SC4. And as I said, it was working flawlessly before and still does on all my other cities (those are not nearly as large, <100k population).

Thanks for any suggestions!

with only 512mb, you may have run out of paging space.  How big is your swap file?  You can find out by right clicking on My Computer, and following the Advanced tabs until you find it.

Currently 768mb, allowed up to 1.5gb. This is XP, btw.

I was playing with it the other day, I think the problem is related to the bug I mentinoed with the Grand Railroad Station. I was finally able to get rid of the immortal building by zoning under it, but now if i try to touch any of the zones surrounding where it used to be the game instantly crashes.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the Grand Railroad station you tried to demolish. I know that when placing NAM puzzle pieces and accidentally overlap another lot, its a recipe for disaster. I know exactly what you mean when you say that it only half demolishes. I'm not exactly sure how to remedy this situation, whenever I overlap by mistake, I just exit the city without saving.

(edited)

Hello Community and unresting helpers

i always thought and hoped, that i'll never have to search this part of the forums, but now i have to. :(

recently i experienced the CTD issue the thread title indicates.

I have a region with 5-6 cities. one large city on a large tile with round about 500000 inhabitants and smaller ones like suburbs and and towns itself with 60000-90000 people. and all of them run well.

i play on a laptop (so not ideal for SC4, but it work fine). i have only 752mb RAM and and swap file set to 1125 MB.

I can not imagine that the problem of CTD in one particular city is caused by the computer hardware, because all of my cities work just fine, but i'm interested in every hint.

the problem is: i have built a new city. I laied down the streets, road and other networks. than I filled the land with RCI zones and pushed the start button. I ran the game on high speed and low speed, then i paused it and built more thinks.then i started again an low speed and now after a few minutes of playing that one particular city crashes. i tried to run it on more speed, but than the crash came even earlier. it's like it stops at a certain time (ie. at the first of january 02 gametime) and lowering the speed, means playing a little longer. on pause i can play the whole day.

and yes I downloaded some new buildings, but again i doubt, that this maybe the reason, because all of the other cities running well. nonetheless, i try and run the game without the new plugins.

also i shifted some files (mostly textures and props). that means i copied the files and pasted the files in the my texture folderthe and delete the subfolders where they were in order to clean my plugins up a bit.

could it be that the growing speed of the city is to much for the game to handle? the city went up to 80000 people in a few game month.

well I have some tries my self, but i'm thankful for every hint

@nonny moose

with only 512mb, you may have run out of paging space. How big is your swap file? You can find out by right clicking on My Computer, and following the Advanced tabs until you find it.

what if i did run out of paging space? is there anything I can do, despite of the swamp file?

I already have had bigger regions with more inhabitants total.

EDIT: here is a screenshot, only a few seconds before it happens

santocamarone14aug01130.jpg

Edited by hijodecordoba

it's like it stops at a certain time (ie. at the first of january 02 gametime) and lowering the speed, means playing a little longer. on pause i can play the whole day.

Not sure if this is your problem, but I have a CTD problem when a lot zoned at the the city border grows. It doesn't happen in every city, and it doesn't happen everywhere along the city border. Instead what I found is that a few very specific tiles at the city border, if zoned, will cause CTD when they grow. It will also cause CTD if I plop a building on that specific lot, but NOT if I plop a park. I haven't found a reason for why it happens, but I'm looking for what it might be.

Check your city for zoned lots around your city border, and keep your eye on them when you run the simulator. If you're having the same problem as I am, then the lot will get the dirt construction texture, and then CTD. For me, I noticed that the lots had a tendency to grow at the same game time for each crash, and as you're saying your crash occurs on a specific game time.

If this is not the case, then dismiss.

Hope you get it figured out, because these types of problems can make a person rip their hair out.

(edited)

unfortunatelly i could not see any specific growing action. it seemed like it crashed just because it is the time.

mmhh, but there are zones at the city border. i will check on that, thanks.

EDIT: selles... YOU made my day! and save me a lot of hair :) I dezoned all the zones on the city borders and hit "play" and passed that certain point. it seems that the city works fine now. that absolutely did the trick

thanks a bunch!

Edited by hijodecordoba