Sign in to follow this  
Pipcard

Surface rail-elevated rail transition?

There may be some mods, but this is totally illogical.

Surface rail is what you see with outfits like Conrail.

Elevated rail, subway, and GLR all use light rail.  The regular surface rail would collapse such structures in the real world.  If you want surface rail that can transition to elevated rail, it has to be GLR.

Fantastic! I've been playing SC4 for years and years now and have always wondered why there wasn't an El Rail > Surface Rail transition! Now that I've finally looked into it and found this my problems are solved! Many thanks for the link, and apologies for digging up a three year old topic! Just wanted to show my appreciation!  :D

The NAM comes with heavy rail viaducts (that carry freight) and are analogous to an elevated version of the standard MAXIS rails. Using a few tricks (which I won't detail here) it is possible with the NAM to transition rail lines directly into El-Rail because the NAM changes el-rail networks to include heavy rail functionality.

The NAM also has a Ground Light Rail (GLR) option, which is literally a ground based version of Elevated Rail, and comes with it's own transitions to it's elevated counterpart.

Elevated rail, subway, and GLR all use light rail.  The regular surface rail would collapse such structures in the real world.  If you want surface rail that can transition to elevated rail, it has to be GLR.

In some cases, like San Diego, the Light Rail networks were actually built on top of heavy rail (freight) lines, so what often appears to be too light-duty of a network to support large freight trains was actually designed with freight in mind, and the light rail simply happens to enjoy the benefits of the moderate slopes (and lower construction costs). It makes sense once you see all the industrial spurs leading off from what looks like a trolley line.

That's not totally true. Sydney uses heavy rail (almost) exclusively. It transitions to viaducts and subways at various points.