Sign in to follow this  
Duke87

The Merry Christmas thread 2010

So, Christmas is in six days. What are you doing?

For me, it'll be the usual immediate family special Christmas Eve dinner followed by the Christmas Day extended family party. No need to travel, we host it.

Also, is anyone else psyched to see what sort of graphical games dirk will play with the site? 9.gif

The same. Christmas Eve and Christmas day with my parents. This is the first Christmas in years I'm without a girlfriend. That's gonna be a little weird.

Originally posted by: Duke87

Also, is anyone else psyched to see what sort of graphical games dirk will play with the site?

quote>

Totally! Why hasn't anything come up yet?!?

Heh, that's the opposite of what we do. We have the extended family over for a Christmas Eve party and then have an immediate family+the non-gigantic Italian side of the extended family Christmas Day dinner. Except, we have that at their house, their being aunt, uncle, and cousins. Less people, less insanity, and they're just a few blocks away, so it's just easier like that. 3.gif

We're celebrating Christmas Eve (24th December with dinner, guests and presents), and going to a "christmas lunch" on the 25th. Also, I'm gonna work a bit during the holiday.

Happy holidays, everyone! 5.gif

Also, is anyone else psyched to see what sort of graphical games dirk will play with the site?

quote>

V7 as a christmas gift maybe?9.gif

Well on Christmas eve we usuly have a big family cookout, then don't really do anything the next day but open gifts ect.

We also go to this thing called the holiday festival of lights in tradewinds park its a really cool lights show that you drive around the park to see.

Does this thread have cake? I crave cake. I crave Christmas cake. I crave chocolate mousse yuletide log Christmas cake.

I am at my Dad's house on the evening of the 23rd for the Christmas I don't like. Then I do the regular Christmas thing on Christmas eve having dinner at my grandparents house. Christmas day I sleep in and ignore the world.

I would much rather be having dinner with freinds either in Montreal or Burlington. Next year I might be in Edinburgh for Christmas.

This afternoon we trimed the Tree. 9ft tall live Douglass Fur.

my mom got out all the old ornaments and put new lights and the ornaments. turned out pretty nice.

1st time my mom has put up a tree in years we ususaly devide time between my 2 sisters places for gifts  and dinner/football/ cards at Moms

Heres a bad pic taken with a bad cellphone camera 41.gif

Image0002.jpg

Boy  that little LED light sure did a lot to wash out this picture.

This will be my fourth Christmas alone since my wife passed away.  Our kids and other relatives are scattered across the continent, so if we have a gathering it will be on the Internet.  The seniors' building where I have an apartment is relatively convivial, but to respect those who will be with families, we had our Christmas dinner last Friday.

I'll probably coil up with a book or the TV on Christmas eve, and sleep in on Christmas day. 

Happiness is a warm puppy according to Peanuts.  Well, here are seven to warm you in the cold.

caniscaeli201007litter.th.jpg

Merry Christmas to everyone,

and a happy and prosperous New Year.

If you are alone on Christmas, drop in to the Moose Factory, we'll be there.

Originally posted by: Larks2242

Kinda alittle too early too start happy new year no? quote>

It's the perfect time of the year to be saying that!39.gif

My mother put up her tree in November. All the decorations are gold. My Dad's apartment does not have any space this year. The large family reunion occurs on Christmas Eve for dinner. The extended family (aunts uncles and grandmother) has a brunch on Christmas morning. After that, my sister and I go to our Dad's house to watch a movie and eat out for Christmas Dinner.

Well its christmas eve at my place and we got our tree up already and it has quite a bit of presents under it already. Most of them are mine actually merry christmas everyone! 2.gif

+

/_\

/__\

/___\

/____\

/_____\

/______\

Your tree is a little lopsided there....

Lemme see if I can fix it.

+

/_\

/__\

/___\

/____\

/_____\

/______\

Hmm, won't quite line up.

Originally posted by: kj3400

Let's see, I'll probably be over my relatives' house... I haven't put up a tree, nor lights. Too much effort.quote>

Same here.   My parents are in an assisted living facility.  I put my efforts into decorating their place instead of mine.   There are no little kids in the family right now.    It's not the same without a little kid to get all wide-eyed and excited about things.

*sigh*

You know, I'm finding Christmas to be rather unfulfilling this year. The source of my problem seems to be that this is my first Christmas where I have a permanent job rather than being a permanent student, which means two things that are big game changers:

1) Gifts are no longer special. I have a steady income now, and thus there's nothing under the tree for me that I couldn't just as easily have gone out to the store and bought for myself. And having probably spent just as much money on other people as they've spent on me, I can't even argue that I'm somehow ahead of the game.

2) No Christmas break, just a long weekend. I have to go back to work on Monday. Ugh.

Christmas has arrived.  See you all for dinner at the Moose Factory later.  Enjoy the day, and remember to put a little Christ back into Christmas.  Notwithstanding the political correctness of the date, we should remember that this is the longest running birthday celebration in our current era.

Note:  If you do a Bishop Usher on the dates in the new Testament, Christmas should be sometime in March.

*sigh*

You know, I'm finding Christmas to be rather unfulfilling this year. The source of my problem seems to be that this is my first Christmas where I have a permanent job rather than being a permanent student, which means two things that are big game changers:

1) Gifts are no longer special. I have a steady income now, and thus there's nothing under the tree for me that I couldn't just as easily have gone out to the store and bought for myself. And having probably spent just as much money on other people as they've spent on me, I can't even argue that I'm somehow ahead of the game.

2) No Christmas break, just a long weekend. I have to go back to work on Monday. Ugh.

quote>

Welcome to adulthood.   Holidays take on a different meaning at different stages of life.    Look at your gifts; someone put some time, effort, and money into finding something they thought you might like.   They might have missed the target a bit but you'll find that gets more difficult as the years go by.  They know you could have just as easily gone out to the store and bought it yourself.    It's a bit frustrating at their end too.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

Christmas has arrived.  See you all for dinner at the Moose Factory later.  Enjoy the day, and remember to put a little Christ back into Christmas. quote>

umm . . . why?    Many people celebrate the season simply as a time to step back from the daily grind and reconnect with family and old friends.   Sounds like a good thing to me.

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Originally posted by: Meg

*sigh*

quote>

Welcome to adulthood.   Holidays take on a different meaning at different stages of life.    Look at your gifts; someone put some time, effort, and money into finding something they thought you might like.   They might have missed the target a bit but you'll find that gets more difficult as the years go by.  They know you could have just as easily gone out to the store and bought it yourself.    It's a bit frustrating at their end too.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

Christmas has arrived.  See you all for dinner at the Moose Factory later.  Enjoy the day, and remember to put a little Christ back into Christmas. quote>

umm . . . why?    Many people celebrate the season simply as a time to step back from the daily grind and reconnect with family and old friends.   Sounds like a good thing to me.

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the day.

quote>

@Duke87:  I join with Meg in welcoming you to the world of reality.  Consider yourself blessed that anyone thought to give you something you might want.  Did you get anything that you wouldn't have bought for yourself?  Or anything you didn't think of, and now find that maybe it was a good idea?  Give thanks for friends and family who thought of you.

@Meg:  Well, if Christianity hadn't happened, maybe you would be having a happy Chanukah, or just enjoying the orgy at the Temple of Saturn, or maybe have just finished celebrating the winter solstice with your Druidic friends.  Frankly, of all these, I like the eithical set espoused by the Christian faith.  Who knows, in the last, you might have been one of the sacrifices.

@_marsh_: I see you've been shopping for trees at the antipodes.  Congratulations on your Trixie.  Now the real trick is to keep the gravity field balanced so all the ornaments don't fall off.

Yes, I am sure that without Christianity, we would all be celebrating a barbarian Yule slaughter, since Christianity is the only civilized religion! The ethical set espoused by the Christian faith (the existence of which I, being homosexual, cannot accept without suffering from cognitive dissonance) is gone now, anyway. It has been replaced by what I like to call Capitalistmas, a celebration of the birth of American Consumerism and the uniting power of the mighty dollar.

And don't knock Chanukah. Eight days of presents AND latkes? How can you lose?!