• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
CaptCity

NAM: Requests - 2nd Edition

1,251 posts in this topic

Just now, APSMS said:

Well, RHW is a thing, you know.

I spent hours on interchanges, no thanks. : D

By the way, what if we put a road under the ramps that doesn't actually work or work partially (the part inside the cloverleaf's leaves)?

Under-bridge lots may be useful, I don't know if they extend far enough but they're worth a shot. You might not be able to fit them in but it never hurts to try.

Just now, APSMS said:

Under-bridge lots may be useful, I don't know if they extend far enough but they're worth a shot. You might not be able to fit them in but it never hurts to try.

Is it possible to connect point A (before fictional road under the ramp) with point B (inside the ramps)? Like a teleport. So cars doesn't show under ramps but after. Anyway, I would even like to see fully fictional roads and intersection under the interchange in order to fill the space.

under-bridge lots use subways. they are not real roads, merely an illusion that is convenient.

You will never see them under that piece, because it's a puzzle piece, meaning it's static. Even if maxis updated the game this would not change. RHW exists for this very purpose. You don't have to use it, of course, but when it comes to puzzle pieces all the work that can be done has been done already, and MHW has a reputation for being terribly fiddly to work with (from a dev perspective). The other MHW interchanges available took 2 people months to build just one, and of course more than that number were added to the NAM.

Honestly the biggest time consumer in my book with RHW is my annoying penchant for smoothness and compactness, which leads to inherent instability due to the close proximity to everything else.

10 hours ago, Razip said:

It is so pity, SC4 is such a great game but it has its bad spots that could've been fixed by the developers but haven't. : (

Yeah I think this is a very specific scenario frankly. The easiest solution would be to find a OWR to Subway portal (something suitable probably exists), then use subways to go under the puzzle pieces. Otherwise what about a large OWR roundabout that covers the edges of the intersection? Using some NAM WRC pieces that could look pretty nice and would give you the effect you are after.

I don't think you can argue this is a bug or that it should be fixed, the game works as designed. All the modding/development side of things since has come from 3rd party addons. The RHW is vastly more flexible than the Maxis highway ever was, there is probably a way to make this work with RHW, it wouldn't be easy though.

APSMS likes this

1 hour ago, rsc204 said:

Otherwise what about a large OWR roundabout that covers the edges of the intersection? Using some NAM WRC pieces that could look pretty nice and would give you the effect you are after.

I've successfully tested this, it works like a charm with a 8 tiles diameter roundabout. Just one detail: it is only compatible with OWR-2, so it doesn't have the most adequate capacity, not looks like having it. Eventually the NAM will include some NWM update that allows bigger OWR overrides on this configuration.

jeffryfisher likes this

16 hours ago, Razip said:

I spent hours on interchanges, no thanks. : D

By the way, what if we put a road under the ramps that doesn't actually work or work partially (the part inside the cloverleaf's leaves)?

While there wont be any static interchanges for the RHW there are plans to make Flex Interchanges with the pieces already made. It won't happen overnight however. The modular system we have in place lends itself very well to this proposition. Tarkus has made some progress in this field with diamond interchanges and I don't see why we can,t use this method to make new interchanges based on a Flex Footprint.

-eggman121 (NAM Team Member)

Tarkus likes this

Hello, I'm here to ask about three things:

There's any development around elevated pedestrian crossings for RHW? I know that is something "doable" with flups (even with the ugly sidewalks) but the pedestrian stuff are a little bit forgotten, since they never reached L1 development, or get updated since NAM 32, when the development permitted to have pedmalls without stations activating them. 

Second: I really like the FTL development, of something that I really want in my game, real slip lanes with traffic capacity and stuff.

That said, will be this type of intersection a thing in the future? That is something REW will take care?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSekLzLrx7QJyPFGC6ZtgG

Third: Can anyone of the team develop something like a F1 internal ramp? Like this one in the upper right of the image.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRdgIO4jHkFYgiorpQBnr

matias93 and APSMS like this

13 hours ago, rsc204 said:

Yeah I think this is a very specific scenario frankly. The easiest solution would be to find a OWR to Subway portal (something suitable probably exists), then use subways to go under the puzzle pieces. Otherwise what about a large OWR roundabout that covers the edges of the intersection? Using some NAM WRC pieces that could look pretty nice and would give you the effect you are after.

A roundabout is too large, compact inner intersections are the best solution to me.

4 hours ago, f3cs said:

There's any development around elevated pedestrian crossings for RHW? I know that is something "doable" with flups (even with the ugly sidewalks) but the pedestrian stuff are a little bit forgotten, since they never reached L1 development, or get updated since NAM 32, when the development permitted to have pedmalls without stations activating them. 

These Pedmall-based pieces are really very simple models. The problem with altering them from L2 to L1 mostly comes from the need to adapt the models themselves. It would also be an all or nothing change, since there is about 0% chance we'll add new Puzzle Pieces for a 2nd set. Have a little look at this mod ("PedBridge_Chg_JPN_Mod.zip" (Bottom Item) part of the Jap NAM Facelift Mod):

It makes the bridges look much nicer and they remain functional.

4 hours ago, f3cs said:

That said, will be this type of intersection a thing in the future? That is something REW will take care?

It's been a thing for a long time, just take a look at the TuLEPs. It's basically a B1 Avenue x B1 Avenue setup with added Slip Lanes. The FTL stuff simply converts such setups to work within the Flex paradigm, although it will come with a raft of improvements and additional support.

4 hours ago, f3cs said:

Third: Can anyone of the team develop something like a F1 internal ramp? Like this one in the upper right of the image.

FA-RHW development hasn't gone anywhere for a long time and I don't honestly see that changing. It may not look so neat and tidy, but for now you can use the A1 ramps to make such a thing work. Similar options will make it into REW (A1 based) as shown by Eggman121.

matias93, f3cs and jeffryfisher like this

Regarding FA-RHW development, it's on hold until we have the time to fully commit to a FLEX and/or draggable implementation.  I am considering dusting it off down the line, in order to produce a more geometrically-realistic diamond interchange for the RHW QuickChange Xpress system, but that will likely require some modeling work, which is always a choke point in the pipeline.

As far as the F1 dual setup, that's something I've had planned for quite awhile, though I still haven't gotten to it.

Elevated Ped Walkways are going to need to be draggable once we get around to expansion.

-Tarkus

rsc204, f3cs, matias93 and 2 others like this

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate your work:

20 hours ago, rsc204 said:

These Pedmall-based pieces are really very simple models. The problem with altering them from L2 to L1 mostly comes from the need to adapt the models themselves. It would also be an all or nothing change, since there is about 0% chance we'll add new Puzzle Pieces for a 2nd set. Have a little look at this mod ("PedBridge_Chg_JPN_Mod.zip" (Bottom Item) part of the Jap NAM Facelift Mod):

It makes the bridges look much nicer and they remain functional.

This is really nice! Thanks for your advice

It's been a thing for a long time, just take a look at the TuLEPs. It's basically a B1 Avenue x B1 Avenue setup with added Slip Lanes. The FTL stuff simply converts such setups to work within the Flex paradigm, although it will come with a raft of improvements and additional support.

Well, this is an Normal OWR Crossing with slip lanes. There's no specialized left turns. I mean, the purpose of the image is kinda replicate the intersection... and I understand and really love how flex pieces will turn our gameplay more fluid.

FA-RHW development hasn't gone anywhere for a long time and I don't honestly see that changing. It may not look so neat and tidy, but for now you can use the A1 ramps to make such a thing work. Similar options will make it into REW (A1 based) as shown by Eggman121.

This is so sad :(FARHW is one of the things that I most love (and hate) in NAM. REW is a really promising project. I'm thinking about projects just to use the new tool in my region.

19 hours ago, Tarkus said:

Regarding FA-RHW development, it's on hold until we have the time to fully commit to a FLEX and/or draggable implementation.  I am considering dusting it off down the line, in order to produce a more geometrically-realistic diamond interchange for the RHW QuickChange Xpress system, but that will likely require some modeling work, which is always a choke point in the pipeline.

As far as the F1 dual setup, that's something I've had planned for quite awhile, though I still haven't gotten to it.

Elevated Ped Walkways are going to need to be draggable once we get around to expansion.

-Tarkus

Great news!!! I'm so happy that I read this! Thank you Tarkus!

Hey first time posting. I wanted to know if it was possible to eventually do Monorail-on-Road/Avenue or at least Monorail-on-Pedmalls. I think the bullet train mod is ugly but I'm disatisfied with the Monorail base showing the ground texture. 

Also is it possible to do small scale freight ports for rivers? 

18 minutes ago, sErgEantaEgis said:

Hey first time posting. I wanted to know if it was possible to eventually do Monorail-on-Road/Avenue or at least Monorail-on-Pedmalls. I think the bullet train mod is ugly but I'm disatisfied with the Monorail base showing the ground texture. 

Also is it possible to do small scale freight ports for rivers? 

Hi!

While it doesn't seems to be a technical impossibility to make monorail networks over roads or avenues (as it has been done with el-rail), those combinations haven't been prioritary. If your problem with the monorail is mainly the fact that it lacks a ground texture, maybe a better idea would be to request some modder (and not the NAM team necessarily) for a T21 mod for monorail, or even a re-skin based either on the BTM or the HSR. In any case, a T21 mod that only adds a ground texture should be much easier to do than a full re-skin. Maybe you can even learn to do it and to contribute with your development to the community (for that, maybe @rsc204 knows about a tutorial or guide to edit T21?)

About the freight ports for rivers, there are a couple of options that, again, aren't related to the NAM. If you want a functional seaport (i.e. a coastal lot that can be used as an arrival point for freight trucks instead of the city tile borders), you should look for seaport replacements, which aren't so easy to install. If, on the other hand, you are more interested on the visual aspect of the port, you can use some lot packs to build a very realistic small port piece by piece. @Fantozzi made a very nice pack for this very purpose, but keep in mind that it requires several dependencies.

APSMS likes this

1 minute ago, matias93 said:

Hi!

While it doesn't seems to be a technical impossibility to make monorail networks over roads or avenues (as it has been done with el-rail), those combinations haven't been prioritary. If your problem with the monorail is mainly the fact that it lacks a ground texture, maybe a better idea would be to request some modder (and not the NAM team necessarily) for a T21 mod for monorail, or even a re-skin based either on the BTM or the HSR. In any case, a T21 mod that only adds a ground texture should be much easier to do than a full re-skin. Maybe you can even learn to do it and to contribute with your development to the community (for that, maybe @rsc204 knows about a tutorial or guide to edit T21?)

About the freight ports for rivers, there are a couple of options that, again, aren't related to the NAM. If you want a functional seaport (i.e. a coastal lot that can be used as an arrival point for freight trucks instead of the city tile borders), you should look for seaport replacements, which aren't so easy to install. If, on the other hand, you are more interested on the visual aspect of the port, you can use some lot packs to build a very realistic small port piece by piece. @Fantozzi made a very nice pack for this very purpose, but keep in mind that it requires several dependencies.

Hey thank you very much! 

matias93 likes this

Moonlights mod doesn't use T21s for the ground texture, they are part of the model itself, although they show transparent if you don't select to have them. To add a similar ground plane to each model of the Monorail isn't that hard, it's just a lot of work. In short you'd have to create a suitable model for the base texture, then find all the current pieces (models) for the monorail. Then using Model Tweaker, simply combine the ground plane model (Merge) to every monorail piece.

As for putting the monorail over over networks, I don't see a technical reason why it couldn't be done. But as usual the simple answer is someone would have to make it. Right now the limited team and resources prevent any realistic hope of that happening in the near future.

matias93 and Eggman121 like this

Just now, Yarahi said:

@sErgEantaEgis you could use this mod to remove/reduce the frequency of the lamp post; 

Oh hey thanks

This is small and stupid but is it possible to get a white tile pedmall without a lamp post?