Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Show us your... roadsigns!!!

504 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Now, i looked through the "City-Building concepts" section, and I din't find any thread like this, so here it is.

(The signs are indexed in the order the person posted them).

Useful links:

SC4 DOT Shop

Tutorial-How to BAT a sign

European vs American Signage: Pros and Cons

kurnui's signmaker

HD BAT Scripts

To start off, here's a sign I made:

ucsigns.png

Edited by nathanthemayor
aomsin8462 likes this

Posted

Here are some signs from the State of Sto Plains in Columbia, my Sim Nation:

Signs in Highways are green

lancrea38.jpg

Signs in Motorways are blue

lancrem3.jpg

Touristic signs are brown

ramptops.jpg

Posted

Since most of these are large PNG files I'll just link them

LINK1

LINK2

LINK3

LINK4

LINK5

LINK6

They're kinda old (made in June/July) and I've improved more upon them.

Posted

I had these laying around:

Amerikansk-till-svensk.png

AmSv2.jpg

As you can see, I've converted American signage into Swedish signage. I find them easier to read and understand, but as usual, that's what I'm used to...

Posted

You want some highway signs? You got some!

My Imaginian signage system has changed over the years. Here's the first generation:

imgen10.png

Ugly, eh? Now here's the current system, generation 7.0:

imv70rweindhoven01.png

And as an experiment: here is the Belgian styled variant (note: this is in fact a road layout in the Netherlands:

belgirweindhoven01.png

No wonder why I'm in the SC4DOT 2.gif

Best,

Maarten

Posted

@riiga:How did you did that?

Posted

Originally posted by: nathanthemayor

@riiga:How did you did that?quote>

I used Photoshop... 30.gif

Posted

@mrtnrln what does the target symbol on the second sign meant to symbolize?

Posted

You mean the "City Center" symbol? You may have guessed it from the Belgian variant posted right below.

There's quite a difference between American and European signage.  "Think American, think text. Think European, think symbols." In Europe you'll find more symbols on signage than in the US or Canada. This is because there are many languages spoken in Europe (sometimes even in the same country, like Belgium and Switzerland), we need to understand each other's signs.

Posted

Here's something I've been fiddling with:

stownlinerd.png

Will12 likes this

Posted

stownlinerd.png

Posted

Originally posted by: ryanb_sc4

quote>

That looks awesome!

Posted

Originally posted by: ryanb_sc4

quote>

That looks awesome!

Posted

Here's something I just put on my CJ:

ucsigns.png

Posted

Sorry for the double post, but I just put this on my Dant'es Peak cj:

signsq.png

Posted

Some points of critic:

1. Don't use Times New Roman for signs. EVER! Use Roadgeek 2005 Series E instead.

2. The US-styled distance sign looks wrong. First, it never says "distance to:" and second, you can leave "miles" for the distances, since it would be obvious to use miles here.

3. Downward arrows on a ground sign style B doesn't look right. This sign should be overhang, or have only one arrow pointing to the top-left and one pointing to the top.

4. The sign models themselves look very unrealistic. Try to add more diagonal crossbeams, like the signs on Riiga's pictures.

5. A black symbol on a blue background is not clearly visible. Make that train symbol negative. White on blue has a greater contrast and it's better visible.

6. The fork sign (ground sign style A) looks just ugly, because of the dimension of some components. The text 500 ft. could be a lot smaller and placed at the bottom. Second, the arrow pointing to the right could be placed a lot lower, so the targets don't look compressed at the top of the sign.

7. The portal sign (UC Standard RHW-6S Sign Gantry): are the arrows located above the correct lanes?

Best,

Maarten

Posted

1)It's Cabrai. You said if I am not using a real sign font, then to type it in Bold, so that;s what I did

2)I never knew that

3)You know what sign that is, obviously.

4)I wanted to make something unique for my region.In order to fix that, I would have to edit every sign I have in Gmax-that takes hassle.

5)How do I make it negative?

6)I'll fix that.

7)I haven't tested that yet, because I am unfimilar with RHW-6 signage making.

I may update the pics above later.

Posted

Ever since this thread was created, it gave me inspiration to make highway signs of my own. So after a lot of planning, I was able to forge a modified US style sign set.

highway92exit353.png

I have yet to implement this into the game. Once I do, it will go on a RHW-8-Dual RHW-4 splitter Exit.

Posted

@sir_knight: Where did you get that font?

Posted

1)It's Cabrai. You said if I am not using a real sign font, then to type it in Bold, so that;s what I did

2)I never knew that

3)You know what sign that is, obviously.

4)I wanted to make something unique for my region.In order to fix that, I would have to edit every sign I have in Gmax-that takes hassle.

5)How do I make it negative?

6)I'll fix that.

7)I haven't tested that yet, because I am unfimilar with RHW-6 signage making.

I may update the pics above later.

quote>

1. Cabria is also a bad sign font for the same reason as Times New Roman: the font has a lot of "whistles and bells" figurly speaking. Sign fonts suppose to be very simple. Here's are some common Windows fonts and how they look on signs:

nbalettertypetest.png

Font 1, 2, 3 and 5 and 6 would be OK for signage. Font 7 and 8 are also clearly readable, but take up too much space. Font 4 (no clear difference between a and o), 9 (It's Comic Sans MS, what more do I need to say?) and 10 (changing character thickness, too many hooks or something) do not fit on signage.

4. Then I suggest to edit them anyway. I already have made 7 versions of my Imaginian styled signs, and then you would be talking about 70 different signs in the current version! And don't forget: there are 3 versions of the GTR signage set, where the third set is incomplete. Also, from my recreated signs, the dutch one has 4 versions and the british and belgian sets have two. It's always good to renew and improve your models.

5. Select the symbol in Paint and hit CTRL+I. That will do.

Originally posted by: sir_knight

Ever since this thread was created, it gave me inspiration to make highway signs of my own. So after a lot of planning, I was able to forge a modified US style sign set.

highway92exit353.png

I have yet to implement this into the game. Once I do, it will go on a RHW-8-Dual RHW-4 splitter Exit.

quote>

I suggest you change that font. It would be hard to read if you pass this sign at 50mph.

OK, here's my latest design (for my new region Schellingen-Stadt):

brsa10ccw7.png

Best,

Maarten

Posted

LOL, a Comic Sans sign! Cool job you all!

@nathanthemayor: You can get more fonts in www.dafont.com. If you don't find the roadgeek and transport adequate fonts, you can try looking on the "sans-serif" section. Sans-serif formally means "without whistles and bells" as Maarten would say.

@mrtnrln: Have you planned to do an Spanish styled signs pack? If not, I'll stick to the Dutch ones...

Posted

Awesome signs everyone! I have a few highway markers, that I will show later.

@Blue Lighting, those renderings are wonderful! If you were making them as lots for your city, I would love to see pictures of how it turns up in game.

@ Maarten, I love the European styled highway signs, seems like you are quite the sign-guru.

Posted

I've been making signs for about a month now.....Here are some of them....

exit43abi1.png

exit39i1.png

exit42i1.png

exit2bi601.png

exit1i710.png

Posted

@sir_knight: Where did you get that font?quote>

It's called Concielian. I found it here.

Originally posted by: nmrtnrln

I suggest you change that font. It would be hard to read if you pass this sign at 50mph.quote>

Good point. I'll have to find something easier to read and hopefully it will still look original.......

Posted

mrtnrln:

5. Select the symbol in Paint and hit CTRL+I. That will do.quote>

I tried that, but nothing happened

Are you jealous that you din't started this thread and that I did? 3.gif

Posted

^^ Nope, because I thought there wasn't that much public. Besides, on Wegenforum.nl there's already a topic (in dutch) about fictional signs and sign recreations...

Hmm... Strange... Try to select the symbol again and select Image/Negative (or Invert, don't know how the English version of Paint calls it). If that doesn't work, some really strange thing is going on here.

Posted

Yes... mrtnrln is secretly jealous. But I'm secretly jealous of his skills 9.gif

Question: Is Myriad Pro a good font for signs (Obviously Roadgeek is better though)? Its clean, simple, sans serif and easily read from a highly distorted angle. But would you still use it?

Posted

^^ Never seen that font, but under the given properties I wouldn't see any problem with usage for signs...

Posted

I made a few based on Queensland Signage for my CJ a while ago.

hunters_straight_parclo_n55a_southbound.

hunters_straight_parclo_n55a_eastbound.j

threelane_template_copy.jpg

Don't complain about the wasted space, there's a lot on QLD signs in RL use too.

Posted

Playing around with MS Paint a long time ago.....

I was literally modeling the signs from real life, so they are a little out of proportion.... 3.gifsignset1.png 

Terribletown USA likes this