• Announcements

• Dirktator

An appeal for your support: Help us keep the STEX up and running   11/06/2015

Hi Community, this is a public appeal for help to keep the STEX up and running! We currently need your help to offset some of our operational costs and upgrades! As you know, we've always relied on community donations to help keep the website running. And while all our admins and moderators volunteer their time to managing the site and community, we do have modest expenses that we need to cover each month which includes our server hosting fees, software and support licenses, etc. So lately, we've experienced a slump with donations and we're beginning to feel the pinch! We would really appreciate your support by way of a donation of any amount in order to keep the site up and running. Of course, as always, we'll send you a gift with a minimum donation as a Thank You. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me!  Sincerely; Dirktator & The Admins PS. Thank you to those who have stepped up and donated the last couple weeks -- we really appreciate it!
    • Dirktator

Updates in progress... Please stand by...   01/22/2016

We're still in the middle of updating things, please bear with us! Some things may appear strange or not quite working right - we're working on it!
Aaron Graham

Aaron Graham's NYBT Residential Thread

2,307 posts in this topic

Hum!! you really become a master in texturing. Your East view is particullary brilliant, with the ciment deterioration on the left side and the weathering traces! Excellent work! Can't wait for nitelites!!!44.gif 

mightygoose- I'm going to put somr rails on it.

Amthaak- I have downloaded the acmebrick tool and install it but it will not start up. Do you know what the problem is??

Hey everyone, I have somthing sad to say, I will not be bating for a while, my motherboard on my desktop has died on me, thats why my computer has been cuting off and stuff.15.gif so I'm so sorry about what happen to my computer, hopefully can finish them before the year ends or the beginning of next year.8.gif I feel like crying, I have work so darn hard on those bats and this is what I get, It's not fare, so unfare, But I will continue to vist this site everyday like I mostly do sense I have a netbook computer.

Was it the motherboard, or do you just need to replace the CMOS battery? I had that happen last month, where I thought I needed a whole new desktop; turns out all I needed to do was walk down the street to Battery Hut and spend six bucks to get a replacement....

madhatter is right. Sounds like it's almost definitely your CMOS battery dying. It's the small round object on your motherboard (looks kinda like a coin in case you didn't know). I had the same issue about a year ago.

those buildings look hot!

Originally posted by: WillG_75

madhatter is right. Sounds like it's almost definitely your CMOS battery dying. It's the small round object on your motherboard (looks kinda like a coin in case you didn't know). I had the same issue about a year ago.quote>

One good indicator, too, is if your date/time is offset or lagging behind or strangely inaccurate.  I had my computer trying to tell me it was New Year's Eve 2002 when my CMOS battery started to go...

Buildings are lookin good. I like the progress pics cuz they show how to approach re-creating a building.

I need to learn how to do this stuff because so much of the stuff I want in my cities isn't on STEX.

Keeping with the NYC theme, I want buildings that look like the ones you're making, except burned-out versions like south bronx 70's-80's

http://www.southbx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/south_bronx_1975_mel_rosenthal_small.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mg7D3kYysfw/Rrl4foMAEtI/AAAAAAAADCk/DciRfv6wC98/s1600-h/Slum_South_Bronx_3_small.jpg

or some buildings like these for the rundown suburb areas:

1228b.jpg

urban-sprawl-2.jpg

bixel- Thank you!!!

Karma Fiend- Thank you!!! and thanks for the pictures. Yes, in the 70's and 80's the drugs and the was really bad in Bronx and in Harlem, those pictures you show me remindes me of World Word 2 and I would love it if you could learn more about bating, because I do need someone to help me out in the field of bating for NYBT.

madhatter106 and WillG_75-

I hope you guys are right, I do know what you are talking about, the coin shaped object yes I have seen it when I have opened my desktop tower to see what's wrong, and I hope that it's mostly that. I took my computer some to computer shop in town to see what's was wrong with it and he guys that work there said I had to get a new motherboard and it will cost about $200.00 plus $75.00 for labor and I'm like wow!!!! I don't have that type of money and another thing he said is that I can just get a new box and he will add more ram and I will have two hard drives it will be a windows 7 for only the cost $200.00 and still I'm saying to my self I don't have any money what so ever. So what you do you guys think???

Me personally I like to have a windows 7 and more ram and more hard dive space because that's what I need and want it.

Well do whatever you feel comfortable doing, just remember that having more than 4Gb of ram with gmax won't help you since gmax is 32bit software. I think there's a 1.5Gb cap on how much gmax can use anyway. If you plan on using 3ds max at any point I'd say get windows 7 64bit with an i7 cpu, preferably quad core or hex core, at least 8Gb of DDR3 ECC ram that's 1332MHz or faster with a CL of 8 or lower, and the best graphics card you can get. The graphics card should have an absolute minimum of 512Mb of DDR5, ideally 1Gb or more. Twin gpu's with crossfire is great too. A solid state drive is also a great idea since you can only render as fast as your drives can write. Also, remember cooling, since a system like this puts out a ton of heat and renders can take many hours. But this is all in an ideal computer for rendering and things get expensive quickly. All the stuff I've listed would easily cost $5000+

Hi Aaron! I personnally run 3dsmax 2010 with a PC based on:

mother board: INTEL desktop board DG55WB

RAM memory: 4 Go DDRAM3 1333 Mhz

Processor: Intel socket 1156 Core i3 530

Video card: MSI N250GTS  1G

Cost me last july around 750 euro! But I'm sure that, the equivalent in the states is more cheapper!

BTW: With your skills, you 'll reach the gmax limits, and it's time to think to move to max...2.gif

PBGV103 and Amthaak-  wish I could work my way to get a much much better computer, I like to have up to 8 GB RAM, because I have a game that I have purchase from Best Buy the name of the game is Empire Total War and I have Sims 2 and Sims 3 games for the Empire Total War games it demands a lot, the graphics is something on this game and I do not want it to run slow but I have manage to play the game on someone elses computer. About 3ds max I do not have a e-mail address ending in .edu and i 'm not in school now so working on 3ds max will be impossible for me, but I have downloaded and use it and made a few buildings just to learn more about it.

I don't know if I'm suppose to do this but heres a video on what I'm up against. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know

Hey Mr Aaron Graham.

First, I would like to wish u a merry Christmas 2010. Hope you re spending time with your family...
Second, congratulations for your Trixie award "Most Improver". You really deserve it. Your BATs are a guarantee of quality, esthetic and they are usefull. 9.gif

Wish u the best for 2011, and another great time together in this adventure.

Parisian

Congratulations on your Trixie Aaron! 4.gif And Merry Christmas ^^

Thank you Parisian and Seraf and congrat on your trixie Award on The Team that Never sleeps.

Congrats for your trixies Aaron!

I took a look at your last BATs, and they're very good!

I guess I'll follow the crowd of "Congrats Aaron!"

Very well deserved, your apartmens are some of the best out there. 4.gif

DC 

gio10469, Francis90b and DCMetro34- Thank you so much.

Well, guys it looks like im back, It's not the best pc but it will work. I have a 64 bit 4gb RAM processor is 1.6 GHz Dual Core, it runs faster that the last computer and I'm happy.

Hear some pictures to brighten your mines, I have not really done anything right now.

kingsbridgeapartments01l.jpg

kingsbridgeapartments02.jpg

foxbridgeapartments01.jpg

I going to wait a while on finishing the bain bridge Row bat because I will be forced to re-bat the bottom part of the bat that will make it slope friendly. A lot of my suff is on my old hard drive and I have order something online that can make my internal hard drive in my old and dead pc work like an external hard drive, onece I get it I will be very happy. I am so glad to be part of NYBT once again.

bainsbridgerow01.jpg

And I'm glad to see you posting once again! 4.gif Guess I'm not the only one, too. 2.gif

T Wrecks: You guess right, you are not the only one...!9.gif

Great to see you back Aaron! It's good to see some of these projects alive and well. Can't wait for more. 9.gif

I ought to pay more attention to the slope friendliness of my BATs.

Congrats on your Trixies. 4.gif

T Wrecks, Amthaak,and Sgt Pepper- You guys are not the only one that are glad for me to be back, I'm really happy I'm back to bating again.

Jasoncw-  Thanks you too. We all should do some slope friendly, not on all bats of course, some I think would not look right with it.

Kingsbridge Apartments

Here are some textures for my bat it still need some work, I not happy with the pent house roof so I'm on how to fix that. I hope you like the bricks I think you guys I do still thing they need some more work. This will be a slope friendly lot, I hope when it's time to mod it I hope you guys are here to help me out. The East view something is wrong the wall textures looks smudged.

Here a google map look of the apartments.

Click

South

kingsbirdgeapartmentspi.jpg

East

kingsbirdgeapartmentspi.jpg

Update

Does anyone know why my textures are smudged on my buildings? I remember that PBGV103 said at GMax gets some errors in 64 bit computers is this one of them, I never had this problem can someone help me out here.

franzbridgeapartmentspi.jpg

If you mean the way the texture is stretched funny on the white wall with all of the windows on it, you need to put a uvw map there. You might have applied a uvw map, converted it to an editable polygon, and the moved some verticies or something. But anyway I think a new uvw map would fix that, if that's what you're talking about.

Wow great to see you back in business! Everything is coming along nicely. Glad to hear that you were able to get a new computer and soon will be able to grab your old files.

Nice work on the Buildings & also Congrats on the trixie.48.gif

looks like a UVW map issue to me

The brick looks great to me, except for the ground floor - but that's probably a placeholder anyway. Are the windows final? I think you should try using a more varied texture there, pretty much like Jason did with most of his buildings. Right now it's pretty obvious that there's a gradient from top to bottom behind the windows.