• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
ROFLyoshi

Ask a forumer anything...

5,191 posts in this topic

The question is worth a consideration but if I answer I'll get a warning point as children might be reading. So: eating cornflakes?

Was there something in your youth - you first only had an explanation what it is and later you've got an experience what it is - and you thought the explanation they gave me didn't match the experience at all? If yes - what was this?

You know what?  You didn't kill this game.  I remember staring at your question while watching some TNG and not being able to think of an answer, but I have it now!

When I was younger, I was dating a girl and her dad was an accountant.  I remember saying something to him along the lines of "I'm never going to work a job I hate just because I have to."  He took issue with that and told me that I would be surprised at what I would do to survive.  Besides my lost year living in Cleveland, I've done alright.  I lived for nearly 8 years in Japan (more than half of which was working a job I loved and would have done for free), and while I'm not crazy about my job I'm still working on my writing and I'm living in one of the most beautiful, serene, untouched places on earth.  So, no, reality has not lived up (down?) to his words.  I do what I want, despite temporary setbacks.

If you had to choose one gaming system (including PC, but no internet, just games) and a handful of games (say, 5 games) to enjoy for the rest of your life, what would you choose and why?  You do not get the option of upgrading when new systems come out!

PC for sure.  Games would be: SC4 (obviously), Lords of the Realm II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and John Tiller's Campaign Series (originally World at War).  I choose these 5 because of re-playability, countless options, non-repetitive scenarios, terrific graphics for the age of most of them and, also, for being able to create my own maps and scenarios in each which simply never gets old.  I could live very contently with those 5 games on my PC.

If you had to choose one, and only one, brand of footwear to wear every day for the rest of your life what would it be?  Different styles are fine but only one brand.

Converse.  Although I have fallen arches and they usually have no support, I always like wearing my All Stars.  Plus they're the one shoe with any character that don't make my feet appear stupid.  (If that makes sense?)

Have you ever been able to maintain or keep a New Year's resolution?  And if so, what was it?

What resolution??
latest?cb=20100330012824

If time pauses and change stops including aging, how would you be spending it?

I would start devoting more time to some of my 'lesser' hobbies like art, car repair, programming, etc...

How many hobbies do you currently pursue?

Well, I'm still playing SC4 from time to time, and I work on my novels with plans to revisit The Sensational Six and The Best Defense and rework them into blog serials, but with small children and my crappy job I really don't have much time for anything else.  I do read the occasional book, too.

If you have graduated already, what did you study in college?  Do you want to return and change careers?  If you haven't gone or are currently attending, what are your educational goals?

I have a BFA in Drama with an emphasis in costume and scenic design.  I did a year of Fine Art (conceptual, 2D, 3D, etc.) but switched to Drama at the end of my first year, and was able to do my essentials for the Drama degree in three years.   I worked in film and TV costumes/wardrobe for over fifteen years, but currently not in that field.  What I jumped into is a much longer story...

Have you ever had surgery?  If so, for what?

Yup.  Had my tonsils out at 14, appendix removed at 19, right ACL reconstruction at 31, left inguinal hernia repair at 35 and an umbilical hernia repair at 38.  I also had a small hole drilled in my skull to remove some fluid after smacking my head and getting a concussion about 6 years ago and I had a tendon in my right thumb re-attached last year.  I have a very physical job but they just patch me up and I'm right back at it.  Keeps me in good shape overall.  What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

If you were financially independent and could come and go as you pleased, where would you choose to live?  Maybe more than 1 home?  If so, where, when and why?

Actually, I live exactly where I want to live.  Although if I were financially independent I'd like to be able to afford a nice dwelling of some sort in Ryogoku near Kokugikan where I can watch 2 weeks of sumo 3 times a year.

What super power would you choose?  Why?  (you can only choose one, so if you choose super strength, for example, you are not invulnerable)

I would choose flying.  Why?  I guess I have always wanted to fly ( I do have a degree in Aerospace engineering after all).

What was your most boring day?  And did you do anything to try to releave the boredom?

I don't think I have boring days anymore.  Which is not to say that all my days are exciting, it's just that as an adult, I never find myself bored.  I would suppose that there were certain days during my childhood that I would have considered "boring" - anything involving appointments like doctors or dentists, stuff I didn't want to do.  I do remember taking the SATs (twice) in senior year high school, and being bored out of my mind.

What was the make, model, year, and description of your first car?

My first car was a 'deux chevaux' (english: two horses) by Citroën. I grew up in the black forrest and by this time we had to travel about 30 km at the weekend for the next dance club. There was a rise on the way the car didn't make when we was in four. So one of the guys had to jump off the car - in three we could make it. If he ran up the hill, he could reach the summit before the car. I don't remember the year it was built - but that was in the early 80s of last century and thee car was old by this time. So I guess 1973 or 1974. The car was yellow and had a folding roof. And in winter through the gap between the roof and the front pane sometimes, in heavy weather, snowflakes came in.

I can't remember anymore my emotions when I got the driving licence. But I think it was something important regarding 'freedom'. What did you feel when you got your driving licence?

Yeah, definitely freedom.  I think everyone feels that way and it's kind of the whole point in getting your license anyway, isn't it?  To be able to come and go as you please without having to rely on someone else to get you there?  I also remember feeling elation, excitement, accomplishment, and an overwhelming sense of responsibility.  I knew I could now get to the job I really wanted in the next county instead of the crappy job I had in town.  I knew I would have more friends because I could go places and do more things and I also knew I could meet more girls - and that was a great feeling at 16!

What has been the most significant technological advancement in your lifetime that you recall?

Robotic prosthetic limbs, without doubt. I remember vividly to see a documentary, around 1997, about the experimental advances in bionics, but it was all speculation or very crude prototypes by then. And on the last years, 3D printing, neuroscience, the Moore law and I don't know how many other factors have made possible to create incredibly precise, strong, capable and even sensitive hands, arms and legs, which can even be controlled directly by the brain. In a couple of decades, prosthetics went from skin-coloured hooks and plastic limbs to keep symmetry to authentic robots that give back all the capacities a person lose. 

More or less the inverse question: which technology you believed, as a child or adolescent, that would be much more advanced by now?

Voice control. I thought one day, cars, computers, the kitchen electrics - I would just talk to them and they do as told. Using hand and feet to command ...how primitive. 

Can I do two question in one? As peanuts don't grow where I live I know nothing about peanut butter. But I have nagging feeling the peanut butter I buy at the supermarket - they adulterate it. Do you know what they use to adulterate peanut butter? And how can I check the quality of peanut butter, is there a trick or something?

raynev1 likes this

I don't know how one would... adulterate peanut butter, but something so wonderful as that it should be a crime against humanity to do such a thing.  Real peanut butter needs to be refrigerated, and you have to stir it before you eat it and it's pretty sticky, like it'll coat your  mouth and you have to work at it to get it all down.  Great stuff, though.

If you could be friends with any superhero, who would you choose?  Please explain your answer.

Batman - dark and mysterious.  It would be interesting to have deep, indepth conversations with him.  Of course you know how the old saying goes "Always be yourself.  Unless you can be Batman.  Then definitely be Batman."

When was the last time you had a "lazy day"?  Was it enjoyable, or at the end did you feel like you wasted the day?

My last lazy day was about a month ago and I enjoyed it so much that I'm ready for another one!  Seems like they're fewer and further between nowadays but, on the other hand, it makes them more enjoyable when they do come around.

Have you ever studied a martial art of any kind and, if so, what do you feel you got out of it the most?

Nope.  I'm not all that physical when it comes down to it.  If I had a chance I'd love to get into sumo.

Which fictional universe would you love to live in?  Why?

I'd like to be a Ba'ku living on/in the the Alpha Quadrant (Star Trek Insurrection) - where love remains in a state of youth, you can go fishing and watch butterflies the whole day and there is no media but so much space on the planet that you can even invite the evil Son'a to join when you discover - those are your closest relatives in the universe.

(as wikipedia wasn't really helping on this and confused me) may I ask you - what is the meaning of the term 'human nature'? 

I think Bear Grylls is the best descreption of "human... oh... you didn't mean "human in nature"... well then... ask siri?...

Do you think the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise should end here, or should they make more movies?

Honestly it should have ended with the first one.  It was a great movie, it had a full, self-contained story and didn't need any sequels.  All the subsequent movies ignored what made the first one great and went over the top with nonsense supernatural garbage and way, way, WAY too much swashbuckling.  But you know, Disney's got bills to pay, so who am I to say they should or shouldn't make another one?

What is your favorite Star Trek series?  Why?

I live just south of Uppsala, which lies just south of the 60th parallel north, which is what marks the border between Yukon and British Columbia. Therefor, you'd think that I'm always freezing my fingers off, but it's a pleasant 23C outside right now. I wrote this down because I can't answer the question above.

Covfefe?

It's a typo.  Blown far out of proportion and riding the crest of some form of popular imagination meme-driven zeitgeist (if that's the proper term), which is surely doesn't deserve in light of all the other pressing political matters surrounding that individual and his administration.

What's the worst thing you got in trouble (ie. "caught") for?

Tbh I don't really get in trouble that often. I don't see the point in disobeying laws and rules unless there's a very good reason. The worst thing I got in trouble for is probably fighting with my sister a few years ago. Then again, I'm still 17 so who knows what's to come... :P

What do you think is going to happen to the UK regarding the EU and the election results?

Not sure.  We have enough of our own political trouble here in the U.S.

What is your comfort zone, temperature wise?

I'm happy with daytime highs between 65 and 75F, and nighttime lows around freezing.  It was nice in Japan where there is no central heating during the winter when I could get under 3 or 4 thick blankets for the night, but it's really nice to be able to roll my windows down and open my sunroof when I'm driving around.  I don't mind winter temps either, though. Then I can sing along to the music with my windows up.

What brand has the most compelling lineup of cars?  Why do you think so?

That's hard to judge and I might be wrong but if you are looking on very different cars and also very interesting cars I think Volvo and Mercedes are head ro head. But don't think only of sedans and sports cars but the many workhorses both did built, the trucks and transporters, the SUV and special purpose vehicles. Until 2012 Volvo even built aircrafts. And so on. So both have a lineup really different from Ferrari building the same types if car again and again or like Volkswagen building the beetle and the Golf again and again but building many different vehicles for real.  

In your opinion: what is the biggest difference between science and religion?