Dirktator

STEX Code of Conduct

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

STEX Code of Conduct

1. Commenting and Rating are integral parts of the STEX
When looking at an item on the STEX please take the time to comment on it. The ratings tells the Author that the work is good or needs improvement.  A comment tells the Author what you think. Even a simple "Thank You" can go a long way.  

2. That said, always be polite
If an item isn't particuarly good, don't say "Man that is a piece of crap...what a waste of STEX space." Now who would want to try again after hearing that?  Say something like "It's ok but needs more props to provide some detail. Good for your first try." 

For the record, simply stating "I don't like it" adds nothing of value to the conversation.

Rookies aren't instantly awesome. Just because their work isn't at the level of some of our more experienced people does not mean they are no good. Everyone starts somewhere and just because the some people have progressed to new levels does not mean that newbies will start on these levels. Do not leave comments pointing out that a rookie isn't as good as a more experienced person.

As a final note, it's true that different websites may have different guidelines for what qualifies as "polite." Those guidelines are irrelevant here. Simtropolis has its own operating culture that are clearly spelled out in the rules.  We all must adapt to be a part of the community here.

3. Do not do "First to comment!" comments
Such comments are spam if they do not actually comment the file itself. Commenting is not a race. You will not get an award if you comment first.  The automated system may have some nasty suprirses in store for you.  (Might we suggest that you don't test it.)

4. Don't bring politics or religion up when commenting
If you feel scandalized by something, refrain from imparting your personal judgement on the matter.  Comment on the craftsmanship, the creative or functionl aspects instead. If you truly believe the item is without merit or violates a rule, it's better to just report it to a moderator.

5. Don't Abuse the Rating System
Rate fairly, and without malice.  This isn't a popularity contest for your friends or a way to take a stab at someone you don't like. Ratings are intended to reflect on quality. Keep in mind that we are here to improve our enjoyment of a game, not to throw barbs at each other.  (Here, again, the system has ways of finding out.  You don't want to be publicly embarrassed in front of everyone, do you?)

6. Don't feed the trolls
Reacting negatively to a spam upload usually just gives a troll what they want: attention. If you spot a spam upload, do not comment on it, and simply report it to a moderator.  These things will be taken care of, and trolls are easily slain.

7. In case of uploads that do not follow the "upload" guidelines

Feel free to comment and encourage the uploader on the guidelines they should follow. This is not an opportunity for flaming, sarcasm, or adopting a holier-than-thou attitude.  In other words, don't be a jerk about it.  Report it to a moderator and move on with your day.

8. The STEX is a free, open exchange. Sharing is caring!
All members in good standing, regardless of their ability level, are welcome to upload on the STEX. This has been the STEX's philosophy, and it will remain that way forever. Everyone gets the same chance to upload, no matter what. Remember: one person's trash could be another person's treasure. 

Someone might take a half-baked idea and turn it into something truly epic. Just because something does not meet your standards doesn't mean someone else might not like it.  The only way the STEX can thrive is to encourage as many people to contribute as possible.  This ultimately serves to benefit everyone. 

9. Do not use rude language or profanities when commenting
This is a bannable offence. Do not risk your access to the community. Keep it clean. We don't need to define what is rude or profane; you know darn well.

10. The Golden rule.
Treat others how you would want to be treated.

All in all, the staff here are not unreasonable.  You might slip up, you might have misread a rule, or you might even have a bad day; it's OK.  You will be informed of your slip up, and gently nudged in the right direction.  But the staff here are not stupid.  Don't play games, don't be sneaky, don't be evil.  

Have fun. 

I have recently taken a look at the STEX upload and commenting rules and noticed that some long-standing practices  were not included.  The staff has updated them with the relevant additions.  Specifically, please take note of Rule 1, 10, and 11, as they were the ones that were changed.

STEX Rules

1. Do not pirate anything on the Simtropolis Exchange and do not upload plagiarized creations to the STEX. Simtropolis Lot/B.A.T./mod/map/etc. makers put hard work into their files. Do not upload them onto another site and call them your own. Ask for Permission from the author.

Also, do not upload a BAT, lot, or mod that was made by someone else without permission. Doing so is a bannable offense. If you re-lot someone else's creation, you MUST give credit to the original creator and link to the original file as a dependency. If the model is used from a free service like Sketchup or Google Warehouse, you still have to state where you got it.

2. Look, Comment and Rate. When looking at a lot/map/B.A.T./etc. please comment on it. The comment tells the Author that is work is good or needs improvement

3. Be polite. If the lot/map/B.A.T./etc. isn't very good don't say "Man that is a piece of crap...what a waste of STEX place." This can discourage a rookie and we want to encourage people to learn and improve. Use constructive criticism. Say something like "It's ok but needs more props to provide some detail. Good for your first try."

Rookies aren't instantly awesome. Just because their work isn't at the level of some of our more experienced people does not mean they are no good. Everyone starts somewhere and just because the some people have progressed to new levels does not mean that newbies will start on these levels. Do not leave comments saying a rookie isn't as good as a more experienced person.

4. Do not do "First to comment!" comments. Such comments are spam if they do not actually comment the file itself. Commenting is not a race. You will not get an award if you comment first.

5. Don't bring politics or religion up when commenting. If you do not approve of the content of a map/lot/B.A.T./etc. comment on just the quality, your personal judgment on the content. Instead of saying "This just wrong. This should be removed from STEX." Say something like "This lot is well detailed but I don't quite care for the use."

6. Don't Abuse the Rating System. Rate the quality of the map/lot/B.A.T./etc, not your personal judgment on the content or on the author. This isn't a popularity contest for your friends or a way to take a stab at someone you don't like. Ratings are supposed to reflect on quality. Keep in mind that we are here to improve our enjoyment of a game, not to fling arrows at each other.

7. Do not Upload Cities or Items from The Sims Games. We do not have the bandwidth to handle cities, which are very large files and Sims 2 items are beyond the scope of this site.

8. Do not exceed the 25Mb limit for B.A.T.s, Lots or Mods. If you feel you need to exceed the limit, PM Dirk about it for permission to upload it.

9. Do not use rude language or profanities when commenting. This is a bannable offence. Do not risk your access to STEX. Keep it clean.

10. All STEX uploads MUST be accompanied by an in-game picture and meaningful description. The in-game picture must be taken from the game. Exceptions are made when the nature of the upload, such as certain kinds of mods, preclude an in-game screenshot. Uploaders also must do their best to provide details of the upload, such as what it is, what it does, growable or ploppable, what menu it goes in, landmark effects, garbage production, or anything else that a downloader would like to know before attempting to use your creation.

11. Be sure to follow the instructions of STEX moderators. When a moderator states in the comments to refrain from further commenting, then don't comment. Simple as that. 4.gif

I couldnt agree more, and i like the signature Dirk. Does anyone know what happens when you put up a "1st comment" comment, i dont want to try it as i have already had a week ban and do not wish to repeat that, but i am curious.

CHEERS DIRK FOR MAKING SIMTROPOLIS

He's not joking about the first comment thing...I misinterpreted it and thought that as long as I still commented about the upload itself (which I went into great detail about) I could still put "Yay...first comment!" in front of it. DON'T try it. I am still losing points as I type this...

I hope not! I put a lot of effort into that comment...and I don't have any mortal cyber enemies. That I know of. : ) BUT DON'T DO IT PEOPLE! I'm a professional lunatic, and this was a dangerous stunt.

The automated system may have some nasty suprirses in store for you.  (Might we suggest that you don't test it.)quote>

Or a vengefull chatbot...quote>

I've heard rumours that anybody who types this exact sentence into the STEX comment box, and is in fact the first to comment, looses ten-thousand points from their dashboard and has their STEX avatar reverted to a picture of a duck (which is unchangeable for a month).

"first comment!!11oneone"

Anybody want to try it out?

(3.gif)

Ok. Good new rules. I sure like the one that requires all descriptions to be meaningful. I come across some stuff and don't know a first thing about it. Thanks for setting these up!

I think it's great that the rules have been revised. The new task is trying to get them in order and trying to enforce them because you will come across ppl who wont follow them3.gif But great work on the new rules! and guidelines!

If you're at all familiar with the story of Sisyphus and the rock, then you have a pretty good idea of what we're up against. 3.gif

ISF

I once broke the rule about uploading when I uploaded a building without permission (but still cited). However, they didn't take too kindly to it, and kicked me out for a week (or month, I can't remember). It still stings when someone brings it up.

Totally agree with the rules. If rule 1 is disobeyed it isn't fair on some people. Uploads without in-game pictures or a reasonable description are very annoying and there is no need except for wasting your time on commenting on something an administrator has already told you not to.

Originally posted by: ImVhOzzi

Have you (the admins) considered making a banner with a link to the STEX Code of Conduct in the Details window?

It will definately get some focus on the rules.

quote>

When you go to upload all you have to do is check a box saying you read the STEX rules, Theres a link you have to click to see a seprate widow. Prehaps if seeing that window was required instead of optional it would prevent some spam.

Hello, All.

I'd like to add a quick comment for those that read the rules.

As the STEX Map Moderator, I will ensure that all maps are following the rules as to formatting, file types, screenshots, etc.

I will especially be enforcing Rule #10 of the Updated STEX Rules which says, in part:

"10. All STEX uploads MUST be accompanied by an in-game picture and meaningful description. The in-game picture must be taken from the game."

For those mapmakers that are uploading maps created with SC4Terraformer, please be sure that your primary screenshot is an in-game rendered map and not a screenshot from SC4TF.

If I do find an upload with a SC4TF screenshot as the primary, I will request the map creator change the primary screenshot to an in-game rendered screenshot. Further, I will give the map creator five days from my post to change the screenshot. If, after that time period, the screenshot has not been changed, I will lock the map until the map creator changes the screenshot.

Thanks to all, in advance, for following the STEX Code of Conduct.

Regards,

Vandy

Mapping Community Room Moderator

STEX Map Moderator