Rionescu

Show Us Your Interchanges - The Sequel

This is my first post on the forums here. I've recently gotten back into SimCity 4 after not playing in almost a decade after stumbling across Haljackey's youtube channel. After seeing all the mods and stuff that have been created since I last played I couldn't help but get back into it. I've been binge watching his building a city from scratch series and slowly adapting things. This is sort of a test city, I started it a few days ago and I'm up to around 230,000 people so maybe I'm moving too fast and not planning enough.

This isn't much compared to some of the other interchanges I've seen on here but I'm getting the hang of working with the RHW mods paired with the slope mods and a few others. I didn't plan the rail location well but I worked around it anyways. This is the first interchange I am somewhat proud of that actually looks symmetrical haha. 

5981837c2ed82_TyrantsForge-Apr.23171501651441.png.23353b9446b4264188304726f5503b6a.png

Haljackey, I have to love that traffic. Great job.

Hordes of Nebula, we all had to start somewhere - even me :]. I think it's fine for an early effort - the important thing is not so much equaling others but refining your technique over time with a focus on what works best for you. It's much like handwriting, if that analogy helps you; the more you practice the better you'll get.

As for moving too fast, in my book there's no such thing as moving too fast, but on the other hand I do a mixture of eyeballing city planning (which I have a talent for) and winging it. If you want to plan your cities more leisurely and with more precision there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Patricius Maximus, I've got some stuff in the works on a fresh map with a few more mods installed. I'm currently trying to figure how to get the High Speed Rail to go over the RHW and not having much luck. Other than that I'm getting the hang of things and making more stuff like underpasses and cleaner transitions. I have a civil engineering degree and I work as a CAD technician so this kind of stuff is natural to me, it is just a matter of learning how to work with the game to match up with my vision of what I am going for. 

The first pic is an interchange with two highways and a rail overpass. Since I am so close to the edge in order to get the sloping to work I had to take the highway down 7.5m and the rail up 7.5m. I'm still filling in the trees but I want evergreens to line the highway. The second is a highway overpass on a 5 lane rd w/ turning lane and a fractional angle rail transition. I've yet to work with fractional angles on rail so this is my first attempt. 5984f8c5bf6a2_CarpathianForest-Mar.30011501886159.png.77b650d04861283ffa2566279d2f33a4.png5984f8e8737f4_CarpathianForest-Mar.30011501886316.png.6713d832963daa4e646155eb60c22e99.png

(edited)
On 1/8/2017 at 10:25 AM, Haljackey said:

Filled in the median in the middle of this interchange as part of a highway widening project I'm working on.

Before:

4Saee6C.jpg

After:

Hbat8Ph.jpg

Zoom in:

ssx1tvk.jpg

(Traffic is real, no generators here!:thumb:)

Looks sweet! Am I correct that you've widened the horizontal highway only? The ramps seem congested to me, so do you have any plans to widen them later?

P.S. what's your tree controller?

Edited by matias93

thumbnailed images

19 hours ago, Razip said:

Looks sweet! Am I correct that you've widened the horizontal highway only? The ramps seem congested to me, so do you have any plans to widen them later?

P.S. what's your tree controller?

Widening the ramps to 2 lanes is just for aesthetics. Since MIS, RHW-2, 4 & 6S all occupy one time, it actually won't do anything in terms of capacity increase from the game's standpoint.

Also to make the proper connections, ultra-wide RHW networks (RHW-10C and 12S) which are in the planning stages, are required.

Widening the main highway an extra tile adds 50% capacity to my east-west highway

As for tree controller, I don't have a single one. I used a ton of trees found on SC4D. Just search for 'tree' on the LEX and some of the most popular results are the one I use.

-----

As for the highway widening project, the interchange shown above was the principal component. With that out of the way, the rest of the stretch was easier and I completed it today. Some before/during/after interchanges shown below. Some ramps were widened (as mentioned, aesthetics only) & improved as part of the undertaking.

Apologies if all these pics makes the page slow to load. I wanted to show everything!

W8UkLw5.jpg

z9YN8DW.jpg

B9CcJKH.jpg

Y2VZPdM.jpg

J7c7i97.jpg

H1XX0Wu.jpg

NNLIdhQ.jpg

AL5Gxy6.jpg

e1Cvlwi.jpg

GV2JJy3.jpg

fYInNix.jpg

jtYVKIv.jpg

Q5IR19i.jpg

7Gv6J3C.jpg

3nb2xAv.jpg

oATZHvL.jpg

Q0MHdvx.jpg

unzHOVQ.jpg

4pEWYWS.jpg

B8css27.jpg

s2IaIzH.jpg

2e9cNlo.jpg

Rotated (sorry)

w0FA9PG.jpg

6UXQAn6.jpg

This is the stretch that was winded.

hg74KL2.png

3 hours ago, Haljackey said:

Widening the ramps to 2 lanes is just for aesthetics. Since MIS, RHW-2, 4 & 6S all occupy one time, it actually won't do anything in terms of capacity increase from the game's standpoint.

Maybe I don't understand something but isn't it that true RHW-4's capacity is bigger than MIS'?

44 minutes ago, Razip said:

Maybe I don't understand something but isn't it that true RHW-4's capacity is bigger than MIS'?

Its the same, as both are simply 'skins' or overrides for the basic network RHW-2 or dirt road. RHW-6S, on the other hand, has a bigger capacity by virtue of an ingenuous trick by the NAM team: they 'cheated' the game to assume all RHW-6S tiles are intersections, and increased the capacity of all intersections on the traffic simulator. Nonetheless, the more relevant capacity changes indeed occur when widening networks to extra tiles, as is on the change from RHW-4 to 8S, that doubles it.

4 minutes ago, matias93 said:

Its the same, as both are simply 'skins' or overrides for the basic network RHW-2 or dirt road. RHW-6S, on the other hand, has a bigger capacity by virtue of an ingenuous trick by the NAM team: they 'cheated' the game to assume all RHW-6S tiles are intersections, and increased the capacity of all intersections on the traffic simulator. Nonetheless, the more relevant capacity changes indeed occur when widening networks to extra tiles, as is on the change from RHW-4 to 8S, that doubles it.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.0#post_Q13

That table says RHW-4's capacity is bigger than MIS'.

17 minutes ago, Razip said:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.0#post_Q13

That table says RHW-4's capacity is bigger than MIS'.

Yes, but note that the table is showing the capacity of a closed circuit: RHW-4 is understood as two lanes on one direction and two more on the other. If took separatedly (as is the case with the offramps on the image), half of a RHW-4 has the same capacity as a full RHW-2 or a MIS.

20 minutes ago, matias93 said:

Yes, but note that the table is showing the capacity of a closed circuit: RHW-4 is understood as two lanes on one direction and two more on the other. If took separatedly (as is the case with the offramps on the image), half of a RHW-4 has the same capacity as a full RHW-2 or a MIS.

That make sense.

3 hours ago, matias93 said:

Actually, the capacity of the RHW-8S is 250% of that of the RHW-4.  The crossover paths necessary for the network to function properly are also assumed to be intersections by the game, so each tile gets the same 25% boost over catalog capacity.

Talking about the relevant capacity changes, if wants to get a nice progression up of lanes having a meaningful effect, there's two chains that work:

• RHW-2 (1 tile) -> RHW-3 (1 tile with boost) -> RHW-4 (2 tiles) -> RHW-6S (2 tiles with boost) -> RHW-8C (3 tiles with crossovers) -> RHW-10S (4 tiles with crossovers)
  • RHW-2 (1 tile) -> RHW-3 (1 tile with boost) -> RHW-4 (2 tiles) -> RHW-6C (3 tiles with crossovers) -> RHW-8S (4 tiles with crossovers)

In theory, the top chain could be continued pretty nicely, if "ultra-wide" networks were created (the present-day RHW IID scheme did intentionally leave room for them).  The next steps would be an RHW-12C (5 tiles with crossovers) and then an RHW-14S (6 tiles with crossovers).  Going to 16 lanes would be trickier, however, due to the lane widths--a 16S would fit on 6 tiles, and a 16C would still fit on 5 (with overhang).  It'd actually take an RHW-18C to get up to a 7-tile width, and an RHW-22S (!) to hit 8.

The bottom chain, however,  would be difficult to continue meaningfully beyond the RHW-8S.  There were, in fact, working prototypes of both an RHW-10C and an RHW-12S developed during the NAM 31 cycle (at L0, L1, and L2 heights, no less), but they fit within 3 and 4 tiles, respectively (with a slight shoulder overhang--less than that of the 6S).

-Tarkus

2 hours ago, AsimPika3172 said:

Wow! RHW-22S so nice futuristic highway ever! *:thumb:

Luckily the urbanism mainstream is veering away from those things :shiver:

I'm starting to get the hang of working with this stuff. This is the most elaborate interchange I've done yet. I'm still working on the other side of the bridge but I have the basic interchange done but I will possibly add more and I still need to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I'll upload that when I am satisfied with it. On the second pic I have filled in the sand on both sides since taking the screenshot.

5987804e70aa2_Interchangept1.thumb.jpg.2e093d21198c80821d82300bec931550.jpg5987805c108ee_Interchangept2.thumb.jpg.e1dbb655aaf8705c36355a9ac6668fbb.jpg

10 hours ago, AsimPika3172 said:

Wow! RHW-22S so nice futuristic highway ever! *:thumb:

8 hours ago, matias93 said:

Luckily the urbanism mainstream is veering away from those things :shiver:

We aren't planning on actually creating an RHW-22S, in case anyone's wondering.  The ultra-wides haven't even gone beyond speculation (aside from a couple of really ridiculous prototypes when I was first getting used to overrides in 2006-2007), but if we were to add any, I'd say we'd probably cap out at either the RHW-14S or 16S, as you generally don't see mainlines wider than that (outside the extreme case of non-electronic toll plazas), and beyond that, usually collector-distributor setups are involved.  The Downtown Connector in Atlanta, Georgia is 15 lanes at its widest (which would need a 16-lane solution in order to emulate it), and there's actually plenty of 14-lane mainline stretches around.

-Tarkus

The very simple, but safe, interchange. This is competing with the Europe interchange. But, I think this is more safer, you can only get T-bone collision. But, I'm not traffic master, so I think my argument maybe wrong. The technical name of the interchange is highway-avenue U-turn interchange, or for simpler name, turnchange.

Oops, the interchange is eye-candy. In the time, I made mistake by intrepreting interchange made by one-way road. But, someone who makes this interchange functional, I'll award you with like and comment.

B7XG6jrarsEPIFDY6NHpORMxEgnhyNomIR8bGbmF

XPloR9cB43_4-WinItKBa-i5X0RotZXj0r-FTh27

I've got the work done on the other side of my bridge and I am almost satisfied with it minus one area that I'm still trying to figure out what to do with (upper left side after the bridge in the third pic). The first pic shows a zoomed in view of what is going on with the interchange and the second and third are just to put the entire system into context. Pic number two is a zoomed out view of side A which I've previously posted and pic number 3 shows more of side B. If anybody is curious my population is around 380,000. I've put so much time into this side that my more established side is lacking in jobs as you can see from the briefcases so I think now I can focus more on running a city haha.

598951a8dcce0_Interchangept3.thumb.jpg.eae552b87b5937d1a1e824dcf8483249.jpg598951f677712_Interchangept4.thumb.jpg.89daea26837553c017fd372d85e377dd.jpg5989520406b73_Interchangept5.thumb.jpg.7ab9287813a058f378538f40ffc76656.jpg

Wow! Beautiful exchanges!

4 hours ago, _Michael said:

@HaljackeyYou really have squeezed a lot into some small spaces!

That's why you leave some extra right of way. That way expansion does not require much expropriation!

More experimenting with Riverside Highways 598e58352dc31_NorthAnimaltownWaterfront-Sep.71621009950944.thumb.jpg.0d70f0584ec039f86af99adda8d090e8.jpg

Also, does anyone know if its possible to have bridges next to each other? Is there maybe a mod that helps? The terrain on both sides is flat and equal in height

598e58432990f_NorthAnimaltownWaterfront-Sep.71621009877646.thumb.jpg.74fb51dc6690c106a77d9997bebe63b3.jpg

2 hours ago, Josh6 said:

More experimenting with Riverside Highways 

Interesting experimentation.... I like the aesthetics. I wonder if there are any real life examples of this kind of arrangement that inspired you?

2 hours ago, Reuah said:

Interesting experimentation.... I like the aesthetics. I wonder if there are any real life examples of this kind of arrangement that inspired you?

Specifically, New York's FDR drive along the East River. But I've always been really inspired by the highways in and around Manhattan. I live pretty close to New York and it always amazes me how compact the layout of the highways are, especially because they were built around New Yorks existing infrastructure and terrain. I think one of the most amazing spots is the mile-ish long interchange where the George Washington Bridge goes to the Bronx

@Josh6 It needs to be one tile gap between the bridges sadly, however when you are making tunnels you can put the tunnels right next to each other. Very nice  work on this anyway. I got some inspiration/ideas after your pictures. Well I also like how you combined the Heavy rail with BTM (? - I'm always confused which one is BTM, which one is El-Rail and which one is Shinkasen anyway) to get the elevated rail above elevated road/highway elements. 

Nice! :)

- Tyberius